~* Make America Great Depression Again -- Official Thread of Corona Virus infected markets *~

Jason

On 5/17/2021 at 3:32 PM, Chairslinger said:

Big fucking surprise.

The Republican states kicking people off UI are also doing a shitty job of achieving policy goals that will make it possible for people to return to work.....

Vaccination rates by state

The article singles out TN, but IN is right there with them in how bad this is going to turn out.  There is most definitely a labor shortage in the area I live, and just about all of my coworkers believe the currently unemployed are abusing the system so they don't have to work.  

And I'm not surprised to see the vaccination levels so low.  At my warehouse, I am certain more people have actually had Covid-19 than have gotten the vaccine.  There are people still getting it and getting sick real bad, yet most people don't feel the vaccine is tested or safe enough.  A few people have even died from it.  So when we talk about the lack of workers, definitely have to consider:  1) Kids need someone to watch them because either schools are still doing remote learning or one of their guardians/babysitters died; 2) Workers just died or retired early; 3) Those who chose to work in the service industry, probably because of the more flexible schedule, which isn't fully recovered probably don't want to work in the distribution/manufacturing facilities with a grueling schedule. 

46 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Yes Please GIF by MOODMAN

:shrug:

Worst case scenario, if that happens you've forced them to "spend" one of their reconciliation bills on it.

And if it turns out to be like the Trump years, and it is the only major legislation they pass in 4 years then it just serves as an even starker contrast about tax cuts for rich people being the only policy position they really care about(I don't really consider stroking Trump's ego and rigging the system to perpetuate their own power to be real policy positions).

And this slavish devotion to the super rich is already proving problematic to them among their "populist" (i.e. poor white people who like Trump but don't give a shit about rich fuckers buying a second yacht) base. Let's see what that base does in a scenario where where you have a 12 year period from '16 to '28 and the GOP has done nothing for 12 years except cut taxes for the rich.

As I said, certainly not the scenario you want. But if you have to imagine a Republican winning in 2024 there are worse outcomes than forcing them to pound that same, super unpopular whack-a-mole yet again.

14 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Worst case scenario, if that happens you've forced them to "spend" one of their reconciliation bills on it.

They'll definitely nuke the filibuster the next time they're in power. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

They'll definitely nuke the filibuster the next time they're in power. 

And then reinstate it right before an election, saying that it was time for American to heal. Then, if the Democrats win, the GOP will denounce their plans to remove the filibuster.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

But only for the wealthy! It's not like normal people would be affected by any of these changes

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

A generation of California homeowners enjoy a significant perk that keeps their property tax bill low. Part of that is thanks to Proposition 13, which has strictly limited property tax increases...

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

This certainly would put a knot in your plans if you were planning to build something.

I wonder if there would be a market for used lumber from abandoned homes?  Detroit has thousands of homes that are sitting vacant, and they are dirt cheap...

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

I wonder if there would be a market for used lumber from abandoned homes?  Detroit has thousands of homes that are sitting vacant, and they are dirt cheap...

Maybe on craigslist but outside of that its highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Damn near every service industry joint I went to or drove by had help wanted signs up. It's a good thing

As a non lefty cuck, I agree!  These workers have the power to put these corporate balls in a vice, and so far, it's working.  Keep it up!

6 hours ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I guess this is going to be a thing. 

I know the part that jumps out is just the comedy of offering a phone as a bonus(why not just pay these millennials in avocados, amirite?), but the small print betrays a warning that everyone should take heed of.

I am going to be looking for something here in the next month, and if the place I pick offers one of these "bonuses" I would expect less than a 50/50 chance that I ever actually see that money. 

Obviously they are just offering these "bonuses" in an attempt to lock employees in at a lower hourly rate in hopes that the job market will return to "normal" soon. Expect many of these stores to have an unofficial policy that anyone approaching their six months to be targeted for a miserable working environment around the 5 month mark to encourage them to quit at the best, and perhaps subject to downright fabricated write-ups to justify firing with cause(don't have to pay the bonus or UI, score!).

I have found a good rule of thumb with these places is that anything they offer that is not on your next paycheck is a crapshoot at best.

11 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

I know the part that jumps out is just the comedy of offering a phone as a bonus(why not just pay these millennials in avocados, amirite?), but the small print betrays a warning that everyone should take heed of.

I am going to be looking for something here in the next month, and if the place I pick offers one of these "bonuses" I would expect less than a 50/50 chance that I ever actually see that money. 

Obviously they are just offering these "bonuses" in an attempt to lock employees in at a lower hourly rate in hopes that the job market will return to "normal" soon. Expect many of these stores to have an unofficial policy that anyone approaching their six months to be targeted for a miserable working environment around the 5 month mark to encourage them to quit at the best, and perhaps subject to downright fabricated write-ups to justify firing with cause(don't have to pay the bonus or UI, score!).

I have found a good rule of thumb with these places is that anything they offer that is not on your next paycheck is a crapshoot at best.

November 24th, 2021: "Enjoy your new iPhone 7! Well earned!"

1 hour ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

November 24th, 2021: "Enjoy your new iPhone 7! Well earned!"

I was thinking that, as well.

Enjoy your scuffed up, refurbed iPhone from 5 years ago, fucker!

Another good one. You work 40 hours for 5 months and then they drop you down to 20 hours. "Oh, I'm sorry. That offer was only for full time employees."

1 hour ago, Chairslinger said:

I was thinking that, as well.

Enjoy your scuffed up, refurbed iPhone from 5 years ago, fucker!

Another good one. You work 40 hours for 5 months and then they drop you down to 20 hours. "Oh, I'm sorry. That offer was only for full time employees."

I mean, they tend to do that to employees before 90 days have passed, so they don't have to pay them health insurance.

We need SBA reform that actually helps real small businesses. A great way to incentivize new businesses of the variety we would all like to see is loans that convert to grants if certain employment standards are met, like wage floors.

31 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

The biggest barrier to small-business in this country is the built environment 

Can you elaborate?