What are you playing today?

26 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

Finished the main story of Final Fantasy XIII.

I just started XIII the other day actually. Kind of weird that it looks better on the One X vs PC, but Square gonna Square. Apparently Microsoft asked for HD models/textures from SE and they gave them to them.

I think XIII gets overlooked a lot because of its linearity, but I think its got an interesting combat system. The story is kind of whack in the beginning with little to no explanation on whats going on, not sure if its gets any better. I don't remember it being horrible from what little I remember the first time I played the game though.

I finally got around to getting my hands on the Nintendo DS Castlevania titles and playing in order.

I'm about 6 hours into Dawn Of Sorrow and it's really, really good. This formula somehow never gets old and this is a fantastic iteration. The combat is actually very good and I hate to say this because everything is Souls now but in this one, it specifically reminds me of Dark Souls' weight and animation priority thing. You have to use strategy and not just mash attack. Just overall a really damn good game right now, the only weak point in all these handheld Castlevanias I've played so far has been the rather boring soundtracks.

I'm "replaying" the Half Life series to hopefully either get the impulse to buy a VR set for Alyx out of my system or solidify the decision. I just finished Black Mesa, which I'm not convinced is actually the best way to play HL1 in the modern era, although Xen blew me away. I started HL2 today and got much further in it than I had expected, and I'm actually enjoying it more than I did when it came out.

Speaking of VR, is there any reason not to get a Quest when they are available again?

I've been playing Resident Evil remake. I initially hated playing it, the awkward controls, the lack of aiming (or the absurd amount of autoaim). It grew on me over time though. As someone who has never played much of the RE franchise I really started to appreciate what it brings to the table over RE2make or RE3make. It has a much better atmosphere that makes me walk around every corner and pop my gun up because I'm afraid of what might be there. I do appreciate how much puzzles are focused on in this game, but at times a few of them seem a bit absurd in their solutions and the amount of backtracking, oh lord, the amount of backtracking I've done is insane.

All in all its been a fun trip though should have it finished by the time FFVII comes out. Probably start playing RE4 when free time pops up as I'm enjoying this series a lot right now.

13 hours ago, Nokt said:

I've been playing Resident Evil remake. I initially hated playing it, the awkward controls, the lack of aiming (or the absurd amount of autoaim). It grew on me over time though. As someone who has never played much of the RE franchise I really started to appreciate what it brings to the table over RE2make or RE3make. It has a much better atmosphere that makes me walk around every corner and pop my gun up because I'm afraid of what might be there. I do appreciate how much puzzles are focused on in this game, but at times a few of them seem a bit absurd in their solutions and the amount of backtracking, oh lord, the amount of backtracking I've done is insane.

All in all its been a fun trip though should have it finished by the time FFVII comes out. Probably start playing RE4 when free time pops up as I'm enjoying this series a lot right now.

Are you playing it on the Gamecube/Wii or the remastered version that was released a few years ago?

Just setting up my first gaming PC (I’ve turn to the dark side after console gaming for 30+ years) and will hopefully get my wifi strength up. Going to hopefully be playing some good ol’ Halo MCC with some buddies that I haven’t gamed together online with in years. . . . since they too had turned to the dark side. 

58 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Have you tried the full ‘3D’ controls they added that removes tank controls. With fixed camera angles I never decided whether it was better but I was definitely better evading in the game.

Yeah I'm currently using the Alternate control settings. I honestly have misunderstood what tank controls meant after all of these years and I probably would have never even tried to play the game had I used those controls. Though I have seen a lot of people say that the game is much easier because of the new control scheme. Not that huge of an issue for me, but I guess its worth mentioning.

Finishing up the half life two eps, plan on playing Kentucky Route Zero act five tomorrow night after waiting for literal years, and I'm thinking of giving the Dark Souls games another attempt once I have those crossed off. 

If I'm looking for a good Souls experience which game should I start with? Many years ago I bounced off the first after 8-10 hours of what felt like making zero progress and I want to see if these games are still not for me. Alternatively, should I just play Hollow Knight?

Spoiler

None of this is actually going to happen, I'm just going to end up playing dota instead 

5 hours ago, Commodore D said:

State of Decay 2

Animal Crossing

MGSV:PP

Playing Death Stranding has really made me want to play through Phantom Pain (well, I should say complete as I finished the first act) but I couldn't justify the time sink. I've been trying to coerce my wife into giving it a go so I can play vicariously. 

12 minutes ago, gamer.tv said:

Playing Death Stranding has really made me want to play through Phantom Pain (well, I should say complete as I finished the first act) but I couldn't justify the time sink. I've been trying to coerce my wife into giving it a go so I can play vicariously. 

A lot of great gaming there to play if you or her get into it.

I’ve been playing since it came out.

Minecraft.

When the PS4 version switched over in December to Bedrock I didn't realize how nerfed mob farms, and specifically Creeper farms, are on Bedrock. I decided to clear out a 300x300 perimeter down to bedrock to make a flawless perimeter for the farm. Lighting up caves certainly would have been quicker, but I wanted to make every spawn controllable. I haven't cleared out the whole area, about 200x200, but enough to make a temporary gunpowder farm that can then be used to make more TNT to dig out the rest. So happy to finally be farming gunpowder again.

I hear the full Nether update might be improving Bedrock's mob spawning quirks, so all this might not have even been necessary.....but it certainly looks impressive :lol:

Death Stranding: Chapter 6. I didn't like the complete loss of my 'security blanket' but still really liking the game. i just wish I had nothing to do except play video games as I could honestly sit down and play for about 5 hours without moving at the moment. 

UPDATE: Chapter 6 finished and I continue to really like the game, even when it does it's best to be awkward. My wife decided she wanted to replay GTAV so we've downloaded that now as well, so I might give GTA online a go as a few university friends have mentioned playing it. 

Either way, I'm going to try and finish off DS within the week and then I feel like after this, very few games will feel too big or too long to play. 

After looking at a list of what was left, Treasure Hunter didn't look too bad using Easy Battle Difficulty to increase the drop rate of Platinum Ingots. Got through the list, saved and quit. No achievement. Then I remember I have to go talk to a little robot for it to register. Do that, save and quit still no achievement. Check the list again and there was a single accessory I had to buy. Go talk to the robot again and save and quit and now I'm done Final Fantasy XIII.

48 minutes ago, dualhunter said:

After looking at a list of what was left, Treasure Hunter didn't look too bad using Easy Battle Difficulty to increase the drop rate of Platinum Ingots. Got through the list, saved and quit. No achievement. Then I remember I have to go talk to a little robot for it to register. Do that, save and quit still no achievement. Check the list again and there was a single accessory I had to buy. Go talk to the robot again and save and quit and now I'm done Final Fantasy XIII.

I’ve been meaning to wrap this game up achievements wise, but it’s been over a year since I’ve played it.