What are you playing today?

8 hours ago, ALIEN-gunner said:

I'm not there yet but if it sucks I'll move on. I got the game on the cheap.

I focused mainly on the story quests and ignored the rest. Due to that, I was “under-leveled” and my guns did shit against the boss. I quit mid-fight and moved onto another game. This was at release so maybe it was patched. 

After weeks of threatening, I actually playing Resident Evil 2 today. I did a quick recon of the controls, looked around...died when I was trapped by a Licker and Mr X, all good. I had a quick scout at a guide and now know what to do/where to go, so I'll give it a bit more of a go next week (I may go as far as to push and try and finish the first scenario)

So, I am most of the way through Chapter 4 of the Witcher -- so I'm guessing I am ~4/5 through the game.  Other than the Netflix series, and reading the first few chapters of "The Last Wish", this is my first introduction into Witcher lore.

The Good:

-  It is great to play a game that has "monsters" and story-telling that doesn't feel derivative to either Tolkien or Bram Stroker

-- The combat is interesting -- and has a lot more depth and is better than some recent games like RDR2.  (It's probably a stretch to call it "good")

-- Some of the story-telling feels atypical for a computer game -- its great to play a game that doesn't feel like a standard western European/North American/Japanese story.

The Bad

--  The jank is some of the worst I have ever seen.  Lots of clipping, characters beards are actively waving like a flag, etc.

-- The game is actively cringe inducing when it comes to women.  Most of the women look like super models with breast implants and half are nude or in lingerie.  Geralt feels like he is going on a fucking tour of Eastern Europe -- he has already had sex with 15-20 women so far in the game (and it is more awkward than AC:Odyssey/Mass Effect)

-- The voice acting, dialog writing, and graphics are objectively bad.

--  The quest design has me actively walking back and forth to the same locations OVER-AND-OVER.

However, because it is so different than modern games -- even though the game is objectively "not good", and I would never recommend it to anyone, there is something compelling about playing through a game that is so different in a gameplay/storytelling way from every other game.

• Haha 2

Just finished Life is Strange 2. 

Somehow I'm also hopelessly addicted to Escape from Tarkov, which I didn't expect to happen. I feel like I haven't had a game rewire my dopamine pathways this was since I first played WoW. I suspect that with the rise in demand for HOBBY GRADE games from the twitch crowd who need a game they can play all day every day we are going to be seeing a lot more ultra demanding high risk/reward type games come out. 

On 2/8/2020 at 5:17 AM, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I focused mainly on the story quests and ignored the rest. Due to that, I was “under-leveled” and my guns did shit against the boss. I quit mid-fight and moved onto another game. This was at release so maybe it was patched. 

I don't know about patches but I'm playing on the highest difficulty, trying to complete every mission and maxing out all of the stats. 

Well, I was enjoying DMC5 until it forced me to play a different character. I was just getting Nero's combat down too. It's still a great game, and I can see what they are trying to do in terms of the narrative. But man, what a total mood killer. Really don't like forced character changes in game. Heck, even when I play turn based games I hardly ever switch to other people in my party unless it forces me too. But at least it was on game pass :shrug:

11 hours ago, elbobo said:

Slay the Spire

Started playing it yesterday, yeah this game is crack. Simple extremely well balanced roguelike. 

Slay the Spire makes time pass like no other game. I blink and two hours are gone. It is both a blessing and a curse.

I'm also a huge fan of the new character.

I just finished my very first playthrough of RE2.  Was thinking of booting up Witcher 3 finally to get through the DLC.  Might have to start over for a couple hours to get used to the game again.  I have Spiderman and started it then put it down for a while.  After playing through all the Batman games I just cant get into this just yet.  Maybe after Witcher DLC and a Clair playthrough of RE2 if something new and fresh doesn't come around.

Also if you haven't played Witcher 3... It's the greatest game of all time, lol

On 2/9/2020 at 4:51 PM, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, I am most of the way through Chapter 4 of the Witcher -- so I'm guessing I am ~4/5 through the game.  Other than the Netflix series, and reading the first few chapters of "The Last Wish", this is my first introduction into Witcher lore.

The Good:

-  It is great to play a game that has "monsters" and story-telling that doesn't feel derivative to either Tolkien or Bram Stroker

-- The combat is interesting -- and has a lot more depth and is better than some recent games like RDR2.  (It's probably a stretch to call it "good")

-- Some of the story-telling feels atypical for a computer game -- its great to play a game that doesn't feel like a standard western European/North American/Japanese story.

The Bad

--  The jank is some of the worst I have ever seen.  Lots of clipping, characters beards are actively waving like a flag, etc.

-- The game is actively cringe inducing when it comes to women.  Most of the women look like super models with breast implants and half are nude or in lingerie.  Geralt feels like he is going on a fucking tour of Eastern Europe -- he has already had sex with 15-20 women so far in the game (and it is more awkward than AC:Odyssey/Mass Effect)

-- The voice acting, dialog writing, and graphics are objectively bad.

--  The quest design has me actively walking back and forth to the same locations OVER-AND-OVER.

However, because it is so different than modern games -- even though the game is objectively "not good", and I would never recommend it to anyone, there is something compelling about playing through a game that is so different in a gameplay/storytelling way from every other game.

Just so I'm clear, you're talking about the FIRST Witcher game here, right? Not the third one?

On 2/10/2020 at 6:17 PM, Moa said:

Slay the Spire makes time pass like no other game. I blink and two hours are gone. It is both a blessing and a curse.

I'm also a huge fan of the new character.

I spent almost 3 hours last night trying to clear a run with the robot character. I failed every run but not once did I feel like the game was cheating or being cheap, it was just that I couldn't quite get a build to come together so it kept becoming one more run. 

In between games right now and not sure what I should get into or get back into next. Spent basically the last month playing RE2 so I get into lulls sometimes when I finish a game I've been playing mostly nonstop for awhile. So need to find inspiration for my next game. 

• 2 weeks later...