~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Sure, a lot of working age folks aren't dying but the loss of productivity due to how contagious the virus is what should be extra worrying for folks. I'm dealing with vendors who aren't sure they'll be able to fulfill orders in a couple of months if things don't clear up in China soon. What would happen if half of your office has to call out sick for a week? Half of your city? That might be extreme, but that's also what's going on in China right now.

My office is telling us to be prepared to work from home. 

3 hours ago, number305 said:

Yes... the part of this story that does not get reported (because scare mongering sells) is that this virus is killing mostly elderly with existing conditions.  .2% fatality rate up to 39.  .4% up to age 50.  80+ year olds are 14.8%.

So your best bet when this hits is to not be old.

Trump is old, and in already poor health... 

:thinking:

Update from SK:

Every day the number of infected is going up, mainly because Korea is able test a huge amount of people. The mobilization is really impressive. There are drive thru testing centers in Daegu (the city in the middle of the infection and home to that fucking cult). The government is sending text messages to phones based on your location. If you are in an area known to have infected people you'll get a text telling you where they went. There're interactive maps showing you tons of info; restaurants and stores they visited, hospitals treating the infected, etc.

Expect the number of infected cases to go up in Korea. They have done over 30,000 tests so far and are doing thousands more each day.

Most of the deaths have been elderly or long-term patients at a few hospitals. That fucking cult had members volunteering at a psychiatric hospital and at another hospital for those with physical disabilities. The infection spread pretty rapidly there.

Seoul only has 55 or so infected, compared to over 1000 in Daegu. I don't have to go to work until March 9. My wife is telecommuting for a few days, I expect that will be extended.

Korea has the resources and will-power to fight this. I don't think America can come close to mobilizing like Korea has.

9 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Update from SK:

Every day the number of infected is going up, mainly because Korea is able test a huge amount of people. The mobilization is really impressive. There are drive thru testing centers in Daegu (the city in the middle of the infection and home to that fucking cult). The government is sending text messages to phones based on your location. If you are in an area known to have infected people you'll get a text telling you where they went. There're interactive maps showing you tons of info; restaurants and stores they visited, hospitals treating the infected, etc.

Expect the number of infected cases to go up in Korea. They have done over 30,000 tests so far and are doing thousands more each day.

Most of the deaths have been elderly or long-term patients at a few hospitals. That fucking cult had members volunteering at a psychiatric hospital and at another hospital for those with physical disabilities. The infection spread pretty rapidly there.

Seoul only has 55 or so infected, compared to over 1000 in Daegu. I don't have to go to work until March 9. My wife is telecommuting for a few days, I expect that will be extended.

Korea has the resources and will-power to fight this. I don't think America can come close to mobilizing like Korea has.

That's because Korea has good micro, and America has good macro.

Also:

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, you know, potentially up to 14% of old people dying. Let's say that the 50% of the US is infected. That's still 3 to 4 million dead.

"let's say 50% of the US is infected"  Wow.  You should be a clickbait headline writer.  Why stop there?  What if 110% got infected?  What would the death toll be then?

China has 75,000 infected.  They have a population of 1,386,000,000.  Let me know when they hit 1%.  

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, number305 said:

"let's say 50% of the US is infected"  Wow.  You should be a clickbait headline writer.  Why stop there?  What if 110% got infected?  What would the death toll be then?

China has 75,000 infected.  They have a population of 1,386,000,000.  Let me know when they hit 1%.  

At least one infectious disease expert has predicted between 40-70% of the world population will be infected due to the highly-contagious nature of the virus. We're already seeing cases appear in the US that cannot be tracked to origin, meaning they have likely infected others. 

China has the ability to crack down in ways that the US does not (and cannot), so it will likely spread faster in North America once it reaches a critical mass. 

Who knows, maybe (and hopefully!) it only infects 5%. But 50% is not out of the question when you look at how contagious it is (each infected person seems to infect 3-5 others) and the rate at which it is currently spreading.

Also, if you trust China's numbers then I have some stuff you sell you.

43 minutes ago, number305 said:

While I don't trust China's numbers, let's say we do. They got to that small a number by quarantining whole cities and shutting down large factories. China put like a third of the US population under lockdown. I don't think what has happened there is at all comparable to what would happen here.

I'm not all doom and gloom like others, but at the same time it's silly to not be a little concerned when the federal government has been so lax on keeping an outbreak under control.

A couple of random thoughts.

A)  I am less concerned about the direct impact to myself, my wife and my kids.  My late 70s parents?  My mid-70s mother-in-law with Asthma?  Yeah, kinda.  Does this make me "not average"?

B)  I really don't understand the focus of "average Joe's" on N95 respirators.

1)  Covid-19 isn't an airborne virus

2)  Regularly washing your hands, and NOT touching your face is the most effective way of avoiding contracting COVID-19  (or, not getting sick in general)

3)  Having used an N95 respirator in the past during some renovations -- they get hot/unbearably stuffy VERY fast.  They are not a realistic alternative to wear for any period of time/or doing anything strenuous.

C)  IMHO, The focus of world health officials should be on slowing down the spread of the virus for as long as possible, until an appropriate vaccine can be deployed.  If the "when" can be delayed for 9-12 months, that may be good enough.

Just now, Ghost_MH said:

While I don't trust China's numbers, let's say we do. They got to that small a number by quarantining whole cities and shutting down large factories. China put like a third of the US population under lockdown. I don't think what has happened there is at all comparable to what would happen here.

I'm not all doom and gloom like others, but at the same time it's silly to not be a little concerned when the federal government has been so lax on keeping an outbreak under control.

Healthy concern and keeping an eye on things are fine.  Probably a good idea to have some extra water and food at your house just in case.  But getting worked up to a panic and pushing bs numbers around does not help anyone.

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Also, if you trust China's numbers then I have some stuff you sell you.

One last comment.  China's numbers (75,000) are probably low.  Either from lying or not having all the information on how many truly are infected.  But this isn't bad news really.  Deaths are much easier to track and harder to lie about.  So if the number of infected is drastically higher that means we are greatly overestimating the fatality % of the disease.  It probably is not as deadly as it looks right now and those percentages will probably fall as we get more accurate data from other countries.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

COVID-19 also seems to have a more significant impact on people with compromised breathing.

I wonder if the fatality rates will be the same in other parts of the world with better air quality and lower smoking rates?

That's why I'm interested in seeing the data from Europe.

My fiance still has a slightly-compromised immune system from her last alemtuzumab treatment for her MS (chemotherapy). I think her lymphocyte count is at .7 or .8 right now, compared to a normal level of 1.0-4.8. So I am definitely concerned about the effect this will have on her. She is otherwise healthy, but this probably bumps her up to be more similar to an older person.