~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

14 minutes ago, CayceG said:

So aside from not touching one's face and washing hands, what is the best prevention of contracting it (and the Flu)?

Obviously, I have my flu shot. But is there a specific mask that would be useful at lowering my chances of getting sick in public?

N95 masks, they seal up around the face but make breathing difficult.

32 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

N95 masks, they seal up around the face but make breathing difficult.

Good luck finding them. I order them regularly at work for some of our employees and if you can get them, they're about 5 to 10 times as expensive as they used to be. It's $600 from an Amazon seller that has them in stock for a case of 160. I usually was able to get 200 of them for around 90 bucks.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There are people online already stockpiling food. I guess, theoretically, this could kill tens of millions if it has a 2% mortality rate (presumably higher in hot places with worse medical care).

But President Epidemiologist said hot weather kills diseases like the Coronavirus.

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Is 2% bad? I have no context to compare to.

In the age range that this virus has been predominately causing fatalities, its approximately twice that of the flu. Its certainly not touching SARS in terms of lethality, but its more than your typical flu season (not counting outbreaks like 1918!). 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It REALLY needs to be stressed that the vast majority of the deaths to date have been in the very old. Interestingly, the young have been largely spared. Someone please put RBG in a plastic bubble RIGHT NOW! 

7 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

In the age range that this virus has been predominately causing fatalities, its approximately twice that of the flu. Its certainly not touching SARS in terms of lethality, but its more than your typical flu season (not counting outbreaks like 1918!). 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

It REALLY needs to be stressed that the vast majority of the deaths to date have been in the very old. Interestingly, the young have been largely spared. Someone please put RBG in a plastic bubble RIGHT NOW! 

Yes... the part of this story that does not get reported (because scare mongering sells) is that this virus is killing mostly elderly with existing conditions.  .2% fatality rate up to 39.  .4% up to age 50.  80+ year olds are 14.8%.

So your best bet when this hits is to not be old.

2 hours ago, number305 said:

Yes... the part of this story that does not get reported (because scare mongering sells) is that this virus is killing mostly elderly with existing conditions.  .2% fatality rate up to 39.  .4% up to age 50.  80+ year olds are 14.8%.

So your best bet when this hits is to not be old.

Sure, a lot of working age folks aren't dying but the loss of productivity due to how contagious the virus is what should be extra worrying for folks. I'm dealing with vendors who aren't sure they'll be able to fulfill orders in a couple of months if things don't clear up in China soon. What would happen if half of your office has to call out sick for a week? Half of your city? That might be extreme, but that's also what's going on in China right now.