~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No if more resources were put into scientific pursuits than in entertainment sports. It was more a commentary on what matters vs what society values... don't be dense.

The vaccine won’t be delayed because footballers make obscene money, it will take how long it takes because making vaccines takes time to be done correctly. It was a stupid comment by the scientist.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The vaccine won’t be delayed because footballers make obscene money, it will take how long it takes because making vaccines takes time to be done correctly. It was a stupid comment by the scientist.

As I said, she was clearly implying that because as a society as whole we place more value on sports and entertainment than we do on education and the sciences. It's not too hard too understand what she meant. Agree or disagree but don't pretend like that's not where she was coming from.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

She was responding to an utterly asinine question from the journalist so I don't blame her in the least for responding the way she did to express her frustrations over societal values that led to such a ludicrous question being asked in the first place.  She used a relatively simple analogy that is easily grasped.

There was nothing stupid about it - good for her!

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

She was responding to an utterly asinine question from the journalist so I don't blame her in the least for responding the way she did to express her frustrations over societal values that led to such a ludicrous question being asked in the first place.  She used a relatively simple analogy that is easily grasped.

There was nothing stupid about it - good for her!

It is a false premise. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

This kind of touches on the very argument about the difference funding can do for a project like this we are having in this thread.

Without working in the the field it is hard to know what we don't know and how additonal funding can help bring a vaccine quicker, but I figured something like this would be a good start.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.economictimes.com/news/international/world-news/death-at-home-the-unseen-toll-of-italys-coronavirus-crisis/amp_articleshow/74991893.cms

Interviews with families, doctors and nurses in Italy's stricken Lombardy region indicate that Bertuletti's experience is not uncommon, that scores are dying at home as symptoms go unchecked and that phone consultations are not always enough.

MILAN: It took Silvia Bertuletti 11 days of frantic phone calls to persuade a doctor to visit her 78-year-old father Alessandro, who was gripped by fever and struggling for breath.

When an on-call physician did go to her house near Bergamo, at the epicentre of the coronavirus outbreak in northern Italy, on the evening of March 18, it was too late.

Alessandro Bertuletti was pronounced dead at 1:10 a.m. on March 19, 10 minutes before an ambulance called hours earlier arrived. The only medication he had been prescribed, over the phone, was a mild painkiller and a broad-spectrum antibiotic.

"My father was left to die alone, at home, without help," Bertuletti, 48, said. "We were simply abandoned. No one deserves an end like that."

Interviews with families, doctors and nurses in Italy's stricken Lombardy region indicate that Bertuletti's experience is not uncommon, that scores are dying at home as symptoms go unchecked and that phone consultations are not always enough.

In Bergamo province alone, according to a recent study of death records, the real death toll from the outbreak could be more than double the official tally of 2,060, which only tracks hospital fatalities.

Italy's official death toll reached 15,362 on Saturday, almost a third of the global total, but there is growing evidence that this vastly understates the real total because so many people are dying at home.

A study by local newspaper L'Eco di Bergamo and research consultant InTwig, using data provided by local municipalities, estimates that 5,400 people died in the Bergamo province during the month of March, or six times more than a year ago.

Of these, it reckons that as many as 4,500 people succumbed to the coronavirus - more than double the official tally. This took into account 600 people who died in nursing homes and evidence provided by doctors, it said.

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No if more resources were put into scientific pursuits than in entertainment and sports. It was more a commentary on what matters vs what society values... don't be dense.

It was a dumb flippant comment, so I made a flippant comment back. 

By virtually any measure, society puts significantly more money into healthcare than sports.

FWIW, the US spends about triple per capita on health care than Spain, pays its doctors significantly more (and I assume its medical researchers) and Spain generally has better healthcare results (and apparently is doing a better job bending the curve).

On 3/23/2020 at 9:07 AM, finaljedi said:

I'm sure Kushner can work the same magic on the pandemic as he did on mid-east peace.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/05/jared-kushner-coronavirus-aid-trump-governors

Nice prediction. 

Early this year, Kushner reportedly advised Donald Trump that the coronavirus was not that dangerous – more a threat to public confidence, and the markets, than to public health. Trump stuck with that message for six tragic weeks, between the confirmation of the first US case and a belated federal decision to speed the development of test kits.

And it was Kushner who helped write a disastrous Trump Oval Office speech on 12 March announcing a European travel ban that sent markets into a tailspin and travelers crowding into airports. It was Kushner who solicited help from the father of the fashion model Karlie Kloss, his sister-in-law, to ask a Facebook group of doctors what should be done about the virus.

It was Kushner who reportedly spread the word that Andrew Cuomo, the governor of New York, was being alarmist when Cuomo asked the federal government for 30,000 emergency ventilators for the state.

“I have all this data about ICU capacity,” Kushner was quoted as telling Trump by a White House source speaking to Vanity Fair. “I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn’t need all the ventilators.”

And it was Kushner who urged Trump to overrule the health experts on staff and declare that America would be “open for business” on Easter with “packed churches all over our country”, in Trump’s words. Easter is one week away. The White House has since pushed the date back.

The White House did not reply to a request for comment for this story. Kushner on Thursday asserted that the administration was turning in a strong performance.

“The short version is that Jared Kushner is incurious, not inclined to defer to experts, and surrounds himself with yes men, so he is unaccustomed to being told that his decision-making is bad,” Spiers wrote. “He believes his capabilities far exceed what they are, and his assessment is reinforced by the people around him who are paid to tell him that. In this sense, he is not unlike his father-in-law.”

• Guillotine 2

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Why don’t you find a twitter user to make a point for you ;) 

All trolling aside, this forum (and plenty of other forums I drop in on occasionally) was 1000% better before Twitter...I feel like a good 50-60% of posts now are just re-posts of a tweet by someone else.  I miss the days when *everyone* was forced the take the time to articulate their own thoughts, and didn’t have the (now grossly abused) option of outsourcing the discursive work to a shitty social media platform.

/grumpy old man rant

14 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

All trolling aside, this forum (and plenty of other forums I drop in on occasionally) was 1000% better before Twitter...I feel like a good 50-60% of posts now are just re-posts of a tweet by someone else.  I miss the days when *everyone* was forced the take the time to articulate their own thoughts, and didn’t have the (now grossly abused) option of outsourcing the discursive work to a shitty social media platform.

/grumpy old man rant

I agree, despite my boredom I haven’t really bothered checking in much this week because it’s just an endless series of tweets being posted, and often with no personal commentary. I actually enjoy reading the thoughts of our folks here and engaging in discussion and there is barely any of that :/ 

24 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

It's still shocking to me, even after all his time in office, that Trump still insists on putting his moronic, pin-headed fail-son son-in-law in charge of important tasks. It's worse than Caligula appointing his horse to the senate, because at least a horse is useful.

I'd like to point out that Caligula's appointment of the horse as consul (if it actually happened, of which there is significant doubt due to the bias of the sources who reported it) would have been intended as an insult to the Roman aristocracy rather than an actual belief that the horse could be a consul/senator.

5 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Churches need to all be shut down. Singing makes it easier to spread the virus. You ever been to church and not been witness to a ton of singing? Pastors of maga-churches want to hold services on Easter cause they want to get that sweet sweet collection money.

I was watching the Pope's Palm Sunday mass and no one was there. Everyone was spread out as much as possible.

5 minutes ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

I'd like to point out that Caligula's appointment of the horse as consul (if it actually happened, of which there is significant doubt due to the bias of the sources who reported it) would have been intended as an insult to the Roman aristocracy rather than an actual belief that the horse could be a consul/senator.

If it happened the only way to get an equally good consul/senator would have been a doggo.

1 hour ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

That is really interesting. Looking at NY’s numbers compared to CA for example, where ~40% of NY tests result in a positive and only ~10% Of CA tests come back positive. Similar 5-10% positive results for a lot of other states.

6 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

Churches need to all be shut down. Singing makes it easier to spread the virus. You ever been to church and not been witness to a ton of singing? Pastors of maga-churches want to hold services on Easter cause they want to get that sweet sweet collection money.

Our Church met in person one Sunday longer than I would have liked, but even when they did it was within the guidance of the CDC at the time. Between my business dealings and China and this board, I was simply aware of what was coming much sooner than the average person. But our congregation is like 90% retired NASA scientists, so despite their GOP leanings, they do have respect for the scientific work of agencies like the CDC. We will be doing video services into May at the earliest.

34 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

/grumpy old man rant

to be fair GIF

It is very easy to get the point/summary of articles, and get some interesting outside opinions without claiming them for your own.

I mean it's not like many of us constantly quote some random dude replying to Trump's Twitter feed @Jason

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That is really interesting. Looking at NY’s numbers compared to CA for example, where ~40% of NY tests result in a positive and only ~10% Of CA tests come back positive. Similar 5-10% positive results for a lot of other states.

The NY data is eye-popping.

One possible explanation is that NY is primarily testing sick people so that pool is inherently going to contain a larger proportion of infected individuals.