~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Got to the pharmacy for my booster and there was a long ass line of around 15 people. Asked a guy if I should get in line if I have an appt. for a booster and he said yes, so I did. Just a couple minutes later someone else said "anyone here for a vaccine? Please come to this other window" and of the 15 people in line, I was the only one to do so. I'm going to hope that every other person already had theirs. :s This is in a red county about an hour from Portland, so probably not. 

Edit - boosted! 

Good thread about how Omicron likely isn't actually milder, and we're still going to see a lot of death in the new wave:

Basically, it looks milder because a lower % of Omicron cases are severe. But that's because it's able to more easily infect people who've already had it, as well as those with two vaccines or fewer. But those latter groups are getting mild cases due to their immunity. So really, we'll likely see the same amount of hospitalizations and death as wave 4...or maybe even more since this will spread further and faster. But those who catch severe illness will likely be unvaccinated.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Good thread about how Omicron likely isn't actually milder, and we're still going to see a lot of death in the new wave:

Basically, it looks milder because a lower % of Omicron cases are severe. But that's because it's able to more easily infect people who've already had it, as well as those with two vaccines or fewer. But those latter groups are getting mild cases due to their immunity. So really, we'll likely see the same amount of hospitalizations and death as wave 4...or maybe even more since this will spread further and faster. But those who catch severe illness will likely be unvaccinated.

From what I understand, we still don’t know if it’s actually less severe or not, but it’s certainly not conclusively known that the reduced severity is from prior immunity.

Anecdote about hospitals being overloaded in Michigan from a resetera user:

My 69-year old dad was hit by a car last Thursday night in Holland (about 75 minutes from home) while crossing the street. He has several breaks in his right leg and foot and also a pretty badly sprained shoulder and elbow. We got a call around 10pm from the hospital letting us know, and also telling us we had to go pick him up because there was no room.

My girlfriend and I certainly cannot give the care he needs and he lives alone in a very rundown, old trailer. But I'm my dad's only child so what choice did we have but to get him and drive him to our house in Kalamazoo around midnight that same night?

When we got to the hospital he was laying in the hallway. The doctors said he needed surgery asap but they had no room for him.

We managed to get him in the car and to our house, then we literally had to carefully drag him on the ground and up our front steps into the house. Then we slid him a few feet from the door onto our living room floor.

For the next day I had to do my best impression of a nurse at home caring for him while also taking care of our son and getting on the phone trying to find him an open bed at a hospital and admitted into surgery. It was Friday, and the last thing my dad needed was to be stuck on our floor through the whole weekend.

We finally got him a room at Bronson hospital Friday evening after striking out and wasting several hours trying to get the records over to Borgess hospital. His primary care is from Borgess and she was upset we even brought him home in the first place.... But wtf we're we supposed to do?

My dad was in incredible pain. First time I ever heard him cry was while we were getting him out of the car and into the house. None of us wanted to go through that trauma or risk worsening my dad's injuries.

But the hospitals are packed. No room nearly anywhere directly and indirectly because of Covid.

Fast forward a week later - he spent 6 nights at Bronson, had surgery, and is now on his second day at Mary Free Bed in Grand Rapids. We're lucky we got him in there, but sadly it sounds like he'll be sent home more quickly than he would in normal times.

I feel for anyone in even more precarious circumstances that desperately need to go to the hospital.

• Sad 3

_122068206_hi072589446.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

The UK is facing an Omicron emergency, says Boris Johnson, as boosters are offered to all over-18s in England.

Anyone 18+ in UK can now get a booster three months after their last shot. This is good, as evidence from the UK shows that while the booster provides up to 75% protection against transmission, it quickly drops off after a month or two.

I was at a social event last night and as everything was winding down I ended up at a table with two of my good friends and one older guy I’ve known a long time. All three are anti-Covid vax to various degrees. The old guy though is straight up your-uncle-who-gets-his-research-from-FB-memes guy.

So one of my friends is being really cheeky and trying to bait me into defending the vaccine program primarily by riling the old guy up. And it works, unfortunately 😂 But it was really cordial despite mind numbing trying to refute each false claim (all the normal things you’ve heard over the last year).

But out of the blue some rando that none of us knew comes to our table and asks if we are talking about mRNA vaccines, to which we all nod yes. He says something like “Great, I have a PhD in Molecular Biology so I’m very familiar with the subject. You shouldn’t call them vaccines, they aren’t, it’s gene therapy.”

And of course the alarm bells start ringing!

He walked off and I thought I had dodged a bullet, but he comes back a few minutes later. At this point I had tried to steer the conversation away from the vaccines to a different topic I love to talk about, risk assessment and how we are very bad at it.

But rando now sits down and tries to bring it back to the vaccines. He goes through all the same pseudo-science nonsense we have all dealt with, but he then brings up the “why get vaccinated if it doesn’t stop infection?” thing that has become a favorite talking point.

Being a more than 20 year veteran of message board discussions I already knew the guy wasn’t really interested in discussing the merits of that issue, so I asked if he was interested in the answer to that question or was it just wrapping on his actual position. “I know the answer” he says. And I said “for those who don’t, no vaccine stops all infection but most will still decrease the worst outcomes of the disease for those who do get infected”

Guy tries to claim this isn’t true and that vaccines stop all infection. He points to the smallpox vaccine and says you get vaccinated with that and you’ll have protection for 15-20 years from any infection. I said that claim isn’t true.

He then for the third time mentions he has a PhD in molecular biology, at which I cut him of I say “I do not care about your credentials”.

Fam, nothing makes people with letters after their name hotter than saying you aren’t impressed by that. He was so mad. I don’t think I’ve ever did something so small that made a person so incredibly angry. My cousin was there and made us leave quickly because she was like “I’ve seen too many episodes of 48hrs, that’s how you get killed” 😂

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Guy tries to claim this isn’t true and that vaccines stop all infection. He points to the smallpox vaccine and says you get vaccinated with that and you’ll have protection for 15-20 years from any infection. I said that claim isn’t true.

I've run into this as well. My response is...okay, so what? Let's not call them vaccines then, let's call them "Protect-me-shots." If you get it, you reduce your chance of death by 99% and hospitalization by 95%. It might not stop you from getting it, but it protects you if you do.

But they don't have a response for that either, because in their mind everything needs to be black-and-white, because that is how they see the world; things either work or they don't, things are either good, or they are bad. Honestly, I have family that is really close to this position (but got vaccinated) in that they get really mad if a doctor can't solve their problem with a simple procedure or pill. My wife's mother complains that even though she's had two back surgeries, her back still hurts, and she won't have another one (or stop smoking, stop doing physical activities which aggravate it, etc). She even complains that she has to take certain medication to help. My wife has to tell her that for her own MS and Grave's Disease, she will likely be on anywhere from 5-10 pills daily for the rest of her life, and that's only to keep her disability and chronic issues as they are, not even to fix them. But some people just don't get it, because it's so much easier to fall back on the fairy tale of black-and-white.

I hate saying it, because I thought they were smarter then the Internet. My 2 cousins who lost their mom to Covid won’t get the shot, and neither will her husband (although he does what she does and will lose his job because of it) She has long hauler shit like my mom and I suffer, if not worse. Says she has the antibodies because she and husband battle the “Delta” variant of the disease and immune system is better without the shot. We all got this when Covid shutdowns started, and she would be lucky to consider she fought maybe the Beta version. Plus she too has nurse friends who tell her not to get it, 12000 people died from the mRNA Pfizer or a Moderna shot. She doesn’t need it because of her immune system now, and people were still getting sick even being inoculated. Just a lot of bullshit that her brother spewed before mom died, shushed for a bit afterwards, but ramped up again since Trump lost. He loved him and she hates him, but yet manage to agree on the shots. She was also the first one who would yell at anyone not wearing a mask in store or complained about how slow things were because of it. Again I thought she was smarter then this and I hope she eventually gets it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

He then for the third time mentions he has a PhD in molecular biology, at which I cut him of I say “I do not care about your credentials”.

Fam, nothing makes people with letters after their name hotter than saying you aren’t impressed by that. He was so mad. I don’t think I’ve ever did something so small that made a person so incredibly angry. My cousin was there and made us leave quickly because she was like “I’ve seen too many episodes of 48hrs, that’s how you get killed” 😂

:lol: It's good to know you like to bait and troll people in real life.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Zero side effects from the Moderna booster - I was able to hit the gym at 0530 this morning as usual.

Everybody was streaming Netflix or whatever at the gym from you though due to your heightened 5G levels. No side effects?

I also did not have any side effects from the booster.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:
59982393_6.jpg
WWW.DW.COM

The unnamed man was allegedly paid to impersonate other people and visited numerous vaccinations centers to receive 10 shots in a day. His actions have been labeled...

@Jason

LOL sounds like antivaxxers are paying him to impersonate them so they can be recorded as being vaccinated. And this guy was 10 shots in a single day. 

FGdg9EtXEAQ922g?format=jpg&name=large

The caveat here is that hospitalizations are on the rise in SA, so we could still see an uptick in deaths. But, so far, we haven't seen the increase in mortality that was feared. This could be because Omicron is a milder strain, or it could also be because even though only 30-some % of SA is vaccinated, a very large number have also caught the disease in the past year. So Omicron could be spreading through the population but not doing much damage (relatively) since there is existing widespread prior infection/partial immunity against severe outcome.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

FGdg9EtXEAQ922g?format=jpg&name=large

The caveat here is that hospitalizations are on the rise in SA, so we could still see an uptick in deaths. But, so far, we haven't seen the increase in mortality that was feared. This could be because Omicron is a milder strain, or it could also be because even though only 30-some % of SA is vaccinated, a very large number have also caught the disease in the past year. So Omicron could be spreading through the population but not doing much damage (relatively) since there is existing widespread prior infection/partial immunity against severe outcome.

Don't deaths lag behind cases like a month? Omicron hasn't spread for that long, so we wouldn't see the spike yet. 

16 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Great, I have a PhD in Molecular Biology

10:1 he didn't actually. 

I find it funny for a guy that keeps telling us to stop reading the right wing doom and gloom, and misinformation bullshit, you seem to engage with them in person a lot :P

1 minute ago, Brick said:

10:1 he didn't actually. 

I find it funny for a guy that keeps telling us to stop reading the right wing doom and gloom, and misinformation bullshit, you seem to engage with them in person a lot :P

I just looked up his CV on the website of the community college where he teaches. He definitely does. 

I can’t escape conversations with super conservatives, they are everywhere. Even the PhD molecular biologists :p