~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

11 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The oxygen situation in Florida is so bad, it's causing shortages for the space coast - All of those rockets require liquid oxygen to launch.  

GettyImages-1219607572.jpeg?quality=80&w
OBSERVER.COM

“Anybody who has liquid oxygen to spare, send me an email,” said SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell.

Hot Fuzz Shame GIF

Update on my wife's class. 3 of 15 (she teaches severe and profound special ed) are now out under the district's new "exclusion" provision. This tag is is how the district is getting around saying there are positives in the district. 2 of the 3 parents have confirmed a positive test with my wife when contacting to get any school work they might miss while out. The last one she believes won't get their child tested and will just get them out for the duration of the exclusion period. This was a student that wanted to wear a mask but the parent told them that they would be grounded if they found out they were wearing a mask. My wife of course gave the kid a mask anyway at the student's request. 

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

SCOTUS overturns the CDC eviction moratorium

NGL this was the right move.  The President, or the FDA CDC, doesn't have this power in my opinion.  If it is important enough to have a moratorium, then Congress must specifically say so. 

23 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

NGL this was the right move.  The President, or the FDA CDC, doesn't have this power in my opinion.  If it is important enough to have a moratorium, then Congress must specifically say so. 

The problem is that Congress is broken and required 60 votes to do anything, and is elected using an ancient and gerrymandered system. The US is ungovernable because decisions can no longer be made.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The problem is that Congress is broken and required 60 votes to do anything, and is elected using an ancient and gerrymandered system. The US is ungovernable because decisions can no longer be made.

Just don't cry when a Republican President does something with the same power you want a Democratic President to have. 

50 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Update on my wife's class. 3 of 15 (she teaches severe and profound special ed) are now out under the district's new "exclusion" provision. This tag is is how the district is getting around saying there are positives in the district. 2 of the 3 parents have confirmed a positive test with my wife when contacting to get any school work they might miss while out. The last one she believes won't get their child tested and will just get them out for the duration of the exclusion period. This was a student that wanted to wear a mask but the parent told them that they would be grounded if they found out they were wearing a mask. My wife of course gave the kid a mask anyway at the student's request. 

I'm so happy our school district has decided to regularly test students and faculty. Does that mean my wife and son are going to get nose swabs very often? Yeah, but that's fine. It's not the deep sinus swab, so whatever. Better than just praying people aren't sick or lying about being exposed.

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

Just don't cry when a Republican President does something with the same power you want a Democratic President to have. 

If Republicans could gather a national voting majority, which they haven't done since god knows when, 2004 probably, I'll gladly allow that. But that they decide instead to gameify the electoral process and rule with a minority of votes makes their rule illegitimate, even if it is legal.

So, no.

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

I'm so happy our school district has decided to regularly test students and faculty. Does that mean my wife and son are going to get nose swabs very often? Yeah, but that's fine. It's not the deep sinus swab, so whatever. Better than just praying people aren't sick or lying about being exposed.

It is just stupid how bad things are being handled here. Originally her district was going to test weekly, that was killed last minute by the board. They decided on the absolute minimum for masking and provided a pamphlet to all the staff informing them on what doctor to call to get an exemption to the mask rule. It is just a circle jerk of misinformation, angry "muh freedums" parents that showed up at the board meeting that made sure to drown out anyone that was concerned about the overall safety of children and staff, and a board that has more interest in sure the "commies in Carson" don't get to decide on what the district does. I actually kid you not that in the minutes from a couple months ago the president of the board said those exact words. 

17 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

And besides the law in question gives the executive broad authority to quarantine in the name of public health. If that's unconstitutional then maybe, just maybe, the Constitution needs to be rewritten.

If the Constitution were rewritten today it either wouldn't get ratified or make the original look like a liberal fantasy document. 

17 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

If the Constitution were rewritten today it either wouldn't get ratified or make the original look like a liberal fantasy document. 

That's because the US is probably the worst western country, with the most conservative and regressive (and angry) population of all the developed nations. It's ungovernable.

10 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

An eviction moratorium for a couple of months is potentially justifiable on the basis of curbing the spread of the disease.

One that goes on this long is clearly for a separate purpose, and SHOULD be approved in the appropriate manner -- regardless if we agree on the political system used.

Fucking idiots at my office refused to the shot. Now someone brought it in and passed it to a few others. Do we close down so people can get checked, nah fuck that . They just gonna wait and see. I am at the point that I hope it burns thru the office like wildfire, deaths be damned. I have lost patience for morons.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

An eviction moratorium for a couple of months is potentially justifiable on the basis of curbing the spread of the disease.

One that goes on this long is clearly for a separate purpose, and SHOULD be approved in the appropriate manner -- regardless if we agree on the political system used.

That the moratorium couldn't continue until the administrative state paid out appropriate funds for back rent is cruel.

That the legislature dragged it's fucking feet and didn't extend it is incompetence

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

That the moratorium couldn't continue until the administrative state paid out appropriate funds for back rent is cruel.

That the legislature dragged it's fucking feet and didn't extend it is incompetence

Those funds were never going out. The hoops people have to jump through are ridiculous. Even when someone meets the wage requirements, they still may not be approved any support. I know people that have forgone food to make rent and Internet so their kids can still attend online classes. Those people don't qualify because they aren't behind in rent. Even if they were, they'd need their landlord to approve getting this money because we've decided to not trust people to pay for their own rent.

30 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Fucking idiots at my office refused to the shot. Now someone brought it in and passed it to a few others. Do we close down so people can get checked, nah fuck that . They just gonna wait and see. I am at the point that I hope it burns thru the office like wildfire, deaths be damned. I have lost patience for morons.

Anyone at my company who isn't fully vaccinated by October 18th will have their access removed from any of the offices.  

1 hour ago, SimpleG said:

Unless you deal with paper and can't go all digital, there's no reason to keep an office open.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Those funds were never going out. The hoops people have to jump through are ridiculous. Even when someone meets the wage requirements, they still may not be approved any support. I know people that have forgone food to make rent and Internet so their kids can still attend online classes. Those people don't qualify because they aren't behind in rent. Even if they were, they'd need their landlord to approve getting this money because we've decided to not trust people to pay for their own rent.

Don't forget we can't have funds going to someone who doesn't deserve it.

6 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Unless you deal with paper and can't go all digital, there's no reason to keep an office open.

There are lots of reasons that aren't paper-related to keep an office open.  My company has had most of the engineering team onsite throughout the pandemic.  It is very difficult to do supplier visits, diagnose electrical faults, test prototypes, etc. from home.

Engineering is only about 50% "need to be on the floor" type work for the majority of engineering jobs. But that 50% might be half your day every day or two weeks on two weeks off. I've done both!

But the number of jobs where there's a chance for full time, 100% remote is at best like 40% of all jobs and that might be vastly overshooting the number 

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

There are lots of reasons that aren't paper-related to keep an office open.  My company has had most of the engineering team onsite throughout the pandemic.  It is very difficult to do supplier visits, diagnose electrical faults, test prototypes, etc. from home.

Fair enough, guess I just lack perspective, I work for an HCM software company and before that I worked for insurance companies and none of that needed an office.

It's depressing to realize that the majority of people in the world (including the US and Canada) don't live good lives, and that a large number live horrible lives. Then it's even more depressing to realize that it's probably better now than anytime in history...meaning that the majority of people have lived horrible-to-poor lives in the history of the species.

The more I age, the more of an anti-natalist I become.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1