~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

We as a nation are throwing away vaccine doses as they expire because nearly half the nation desperately wants to be members of a suicide cult. I wouldn't begrudge anyone looking for boosters when those doses just aren't being used by anyone else.

I'll a single shot J&J recipient. I'm totally thinking about what a booster would look like for me when I see all those fancy mRNA success numbers.

There is actual reasons and evidence to support J&J patients getting an mRNA booster though, even in low risk cohorts, and regardless of time since inoculation. The protection from severe illness is notably better even with the current VOCs

Low risk mRNA 3rd shotters are getting boosters now based on fear and hunches. We should have a better picture on the who and when of boosters in a couple of months., but right now it’s pretty much the olds and people with immune system issues that should definitely go and get boosted.

Same. Dat HBP

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There is actual reasons and evidence to support J&J patients getting an mRNA booster though, even in low risk cohorts, and regardless of time since inoculation. The protection from severe illness is notably better even with the current VOCs

Low risk mRNA 3rd shotters are getting boosters now based on fear and hunches. We should have a better picture on the who and when of boosters in a couple of months., but right now it’s pretty much the olds and people with immune system issues that should definitely go and get boosted.

Whatever bro. 

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Children are still low risk.

But we aren’t talking about unvaccinated people, we are talking about already vaccinated people. People who, with literally no data to support their decision, are already going and getting boosted up. 

Boosters will likely be needed for all people, but maybe wait for the data to roll in that gives an indication of when that ought to be for different demos? For example, it seems pretty clear that those ages 60+ that are >8 months from their second dose date are probably good candidates for a booster regardless of other health conditions.

You're right.  The timing of the boosters is incredibly important.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Michael Olsterholm had the discussion on his weekly podcast.  According to him:

1)  The third dose for immunocompromised folks shouldn't be thought of as a booster.  The science suggests that due to their suppressed immune systems, a third dose should be thought of as the third part of their "prime dose".  It leaves them in the same place as most normal folks after 2 doses.

2)  The third dose for non-immune compromised individuals should be thought of as a "booster" dose.  [Which has a different benefit than the prime dosing.]  He expressed concern than non immuno-compromised people might be getting their booster dose before 8-months.

3)  While he suspected a booster dose for J&J recipients would probably be needed/beneficial.  The science supporting this thinking wasn't done yet.

Wuhan lab leak theory: How Fort Detrick became a centre for Chinese conspiracies - BBC News

A disinformation campaign claiming that the Covid-19 virus originated from an American military base in Maryland has gained popularity in China ahead of the release of a US intelligence report on the virus origins.

In May, US president Joe Biden ordered a 90-day probe into whether the Covid-19 virus came from a lab accident or emerged from human contact with an infected animal.

Until then, the "Wuhan lab leak" theory had been dismissed by most scientists as a fringe conspiracy theory.

But now as the report is due to be released, China has gone on the offensive. In the past few weeks, Chinese sources have been amplifying a baseless claim that Covid-19 was made in the US.

Using everything from rap music to fake Facebook posts, experts say the propaganda efforts have been successful at convincing the domestic Chinese audience to cast scepticism on international criticism of the country's role in the Covid-19 pandemic. But, experts say, it has done little to legitimise China to the outside world.

43 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Same. Dat HBP

Whatever bro. 

If you are high risk, why are you getting in your feels about my comments about low risk people getting third shots?

42 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Michael Olsterholm had the discussion on his weekly podcast.  According to him:

1)  The third dose for immunocompromised folks shouldn't be thought of as a booster.  The science suggests that due to their suppressed immune systems, a third dose should be thought of as the third part of their "prime dose".  It leaves them in the same place as most normal folks after 2 doses.

2)  The third dose for non-immune compromised individuals should be thought of as a "booster" dose.  [Which has a different benefit than the prime dosing.]  He expressed concern than non immuno-compromised people might be getting their booster dose before 8-months.

3)  While he suspected a booster dose for J&J recipients would probably be needed/beneficial.  The science supporting this thinking wasn't done yet.

On number 2, the CDC is already making that distinction between “additional doses” and “boosters”.

The science isn't in on J&J yet although it will be soon. I literally just got this alert a few seconds ago as I was catching up on this thread

murthyvivek_022521pool_lead.jpg
THEHILL.COM

Surgeon General Vivek Murthy on Sunday said people who received the one-dose Johnson & Johnson (J&J) COVID-19 vaccine will likely also need a booster shot.

So no announcements on a J&J booster just yet as they await data. I don't know where this definitive evidence about a J&J booster is coming from yet. I and friends of mine have been looking for reputable information about it and it's just not there yet.

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

congrats to the two people waiting for this to happen before they got their shots

The "I don't want to get it until it's fully FDA authorized" people are probably full of shit but there's plenty of employers and other big organizations who've been holding out for a full FDA approval before mandating it for everyone in their org, even though as we saw from the SCOTUS ruling for colleges/universities, they very well could have mandated it under the EUA. I think those orgs probably aren't full of shit because it was probably the lawyers insisting on maximum CYA before forcing the issue.

15 minutes ago, Jason said:

The "I don't want to get it until it's fully FDA authorized" people are probably full of shit but there's plenty of employers and other big organizations who've been holding out for a full FDA approval before mandating it for everyone in their org, even though as we saw from the SCOTUS ruling for colleges/universities, they very well could have mandated it under the EUA. I think those orgs probably aren't full of shit because it was probably the lawyers insisting on maximum CYA before forcing the issue.

My dumbass company said on Friday, "safety is out foremost value. Being safe means maintaining vigilance against the virus. We strongly urge you to get vaccinated if you have not done so. While vaccination rates lag in many of our field locations, they are high in our corporate settings, with more than 85% of those employees fully vaccinated." One of the largest employers in the state and this is the BS. Already have a mask mandate in building regardless of vaccine status, no vaccine mandate, but Friday added additional social distancing for in person meetings :rolleyes:

When various federal agencies began saying they were going to require vaccines in two months, it seemed pretty likely they knew full authorization was right around the corner.

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Case in point

merlin_193402374_1cd2c20a-5897-4e85-8045
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

The new mandate will affect about 148,000 city employees.

3 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

How far out are these goal posts gonna be moving out too?

It’s weird to cut it off before they answer the question, no matter what the answer was