~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Daily-doses-chart

corona-virus-2019-wuhan-600px.jpg
WWW.CDC.GOV

CDC provides credible COVID-19 health information to the U.S.

Note the dates :p 

Daily doses administered is a product of supply, access, and sentiment/hesitancy. It's foolish to say that sentiment towards vaccines in general has caused this drop when data on hesitancy doesn't show it.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Daily doses administered is a product of supply, access, and sentiment/hesitancy. It's foolish to say that sentiment towards vaccines in general has caused this drop when data on hesitancy doesn't show it.

Or maybe actions speak louder than words? I don’t really care what people say they are going to do, I care what people are actually doing. And literally the day the pause is announced is the highest day of doses administered and then it begins dropping off fast from there.

Supply and access were increasing in that time frame, so what could have been the cause for a rapid decline starting April 14th?

13 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If you are inside 2M of someone else, and the case counts are high, you wear a mask.  If you are walking your dog outside, only crazy people wear a mask.

I keep a mask on me while walking my dog because people / kids come up and want to pet her, and I put it on when they get close. :shrug:

I know it’s not doing much outside, but it makes me feel better to do it so whatever :p

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I keep a mask on me while walking my dog because people / kids come up and want to pet her, and I put it on when they get close. :shrug:

I know it’s not doing much outside, but it makes me feel better to do it so whatever :p

Why do you hate science?

15 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

The ONLY thing it is doing is making you feel better, but live your best life boo 😘

15 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Or maybe actions speak louder than words? I don’t really care what people say they are going to do, I care what people are actually doing. And literally the day the pause is announced is the highest day of doses administered and then it begins dropping off fast from there.

Supply and access were increasing in that time frame, so what could have been the cause for a rapid decline starting April 14th?

We're also running out of low hanging fruit

so it is entirely coincidental that between lack of access and supply, fewer people open to vaccines left, and a little hesitancy (which seems to be overblown) that's more sufficient to explain the slowdown rather than one single cause

We did not have a supply or access problem in mid April when the numbers began dropping. We didn’t have a supply or access problem when the numbers of people missing their second dose appointment began dropping in mid April.

Whether the pause will ultimately matter in a meaningful way, I don’t know though I don’t suspect it will. It likely did have a short term negative impact on decision making. The actual dosing reflects that.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Didn't Israel's vaccination rate drop steeply at a similar level as ours? How do we know we didn't hit our vaccination wall at the same time as the pause was announced?

We don’t!

I like to simplify complex issues into ready to digest simple narratives as the best of us but this is a case where polling says the hesitancy isn't a big problem, access is a big problem, and public health experts say this is the case as well. It's entirely possible that the date is just a coincidence!

Fact is the people who want to get vaccinated but haven't yet are lower income working class folks isn't a surprise. As we run out of people who can easily take time off to deal with side effects (let alone going to/from vaccination sites) we were going to slow down anyway

13 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Ugh.  This needs to stop.  It's cultural appropriation!

How can it be cultural appropriation when it's coming from white people and actual Latinos are saying to cut it out with using the term?

Just now, Jason said:

How can it be cultural appropriation when it's coming from white people and actual Latinos are saying to cut it out with using the term?

Reverse cultural appropriation?  I dunno.  I just think it's fucking silly how whipeepo are trying to reinvent the language/culture that they never were a part of. 

The funny thing is, English is sort of the "odd man out" when it comes to gendered language.  Many languages, including all of the ones based on Latin, use gender as part of the language.  Forcing English language rules on these languages and cultures is dumb. 

Just now, Joe said:

Actual Latinos use the term. I wouldn’t use it on Dem campaign slogans, but white dudes really need to stop trying to cancel the word. It’s not for you guys.

Let’s not pretend any large percentage of Latinos use it :p 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I always understood it came from a desire of younger Latinx people to be more trans accepting rather than gender erasing but maybe I'm wrong here.

It's why I just call everyone "folx" with the x specifically to annoy the worst people

The accelerating trend of using the word "folks" (or folx) in place of "people" is something I hate, and I blame Obama for it.

Regina-police-889.jpg
LEADERPOST.COM

Police have charged a protester with assault with a weapon after an employee at a COVID isolation unit was allegedly struck with a sign.

Good. My city has a hotel set up to house COVID-positive people that have no safe place to isolate (homeless, etc). Anti-mask protesters found the location and began protesting outside, and accosted and then assaulted one of the health workers there. Glad the guy is being charged with assault. 

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

The accelerating trend of using the word "folks" (or folx) in place of "people" is something I hate, and I blame Obama for it.

The only thing worse than "folks" is how everything is a "community". "The warfighting community."

At work, I do my best to only use "they" and "their" when writing emails.  It's been ingrained to stay as gender neutral as possible in communications.  But with English it's easy.  Not so easy with Spanish, where just about every noun has a gender. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I always understood it came from a desire of younger Latinx people to be more trans accepting rather than gender erasing but maybe I'm wrong here.

It's why I just call everyone "folx" with the x specifically to annoy the worst people

Pretty much this. I use it only in a professional setting, but never spoken. If younger generations think it's more inclusive and like it better than just saying Latin people, then I'm not going to argue with them much. It is not, by any means, a big thing in the Latin community. I'm fairly certain most of my family doesn't even know the word exists.