~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

As discussed here, it looks like a lot of people pushing for re-openings don't actually plan to go in public: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/upshot/pandemic-economy-government-orders.html

That is good news for political scientists who worry about partisanship amid a pandemic, and for public health experts who are urging caution as states begin to reopen. But for anyone hoping the economy will soon rebound, this picture may be more discouraging.

Even significant shares of Americans — 30 percent to 40 percent — who say they oppose business closures and stay-at-home orders still report that they personally would not return to shopping malls, restaurants or church just yet. That means that many people who object on principle to government mandates will still be among those staying home once those mandates are lifted.

17 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I think the only risk I’m willing to assume until progress is made (whether that’s in treatment or prevention) is the gym. Restaurants, stores, packed indoor spaces? Forget about it. 

The gym has done wonders for managing my mental health. It’s been difficult having to life without it while also living during an inherently stressful period.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

News is reporting a valet to Trump who served him his meals tested positive for COVID19

I wonder if Trump has his Fish Delights served to him on fancy silver platters with proper cutlery or he just eats it right out of the wrapper?

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I think the only risk I’m willing to assume until progress is made (whether that’s in treatment or prevention) is the gym. Restaurants, stores, packed indoor spaces? Forget about it. 

Same. But I’m going to wear one of those stupid Bane-masks and carry sanitizer with me :p 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/new-york-city-coronavirus-outbreak.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

NY cancelled large gatherings with hundreds of *confirmed* cases, where Ohio did so with fewer than a dozen. And that was back when we knew how contagious it was, and that we weren't testing enough.

Cuomo and de Blasio are almost as culpable as Trump for this outbreak.

57 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/new-york-city-coronavirus-outbreak.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

NY cancelled large gatherings with hundreds of *confirmed* cases, where Ohio did so with fewer than a dozen. And that was back when we knew how contagious it was, and that we weren't testing enough.

Cuomo and de Blasio are almost as culpable as Trump for this outbreak.

That's not good... NY is about to take a MAJOR economic hit because of this.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-live-news.amp.html

Despite growing evidence that the pandemic is still raging, President Trump and other administration officials said on Tuesday that they had made so much progress in bringing it under control that they planned to wind down the coronavirus task force in the coming weeks and focus the White House on restarting the economy.

Mr. Trump said the task force would be shut down and replaced with an unspecified new advisory body as the country moved into what he called Phase 2 of a response to a pandemic that has killed more than 71,000 Americans.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/05/contours-coronavirus-aid-bill-emerge-capitol-hill-200505194301729.html

The contours of another coronavirus aid package - as well as the partisan squabbling that will precede it - in the United States began to take shape on Tuesday, with Republicans calling for more tax cuts and Democrats demanding help for state and local governments strapped by plunging tax revenues.

President Donald Trump added his own wish-list to the debate, insisting on Twitter that the "elimination of sanctuary cities" and cuts to both payroll and capital gains taxes must be among the policies considered by Congress as it confronts the deadly pandemic and its economic devastation.

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

As discussed here, it looks like a lot of people pushing for re-openings don't actually plan to go in public: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/upshot/pandemic-economy-government-orders.html

Yep and that's why some places can't realistically re-open. Before all the lockdown stuff, like the week before, the hotel I worked at had to close because there were like 5 people there total. You can't open if there's no one doing business there.

A member of our game night group's daughter has tested positive. So far nobody else in her household has tested positive but her sister has been forced into quarantine as a precaution. The shitty part is that while the one that tested positive will get her full pay while sick without using sick leave. The sister is forced to use her sick leave on her forced quarantine. They both work for the same company...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/terinaallen/2020/05/06/new-proposal-1920-monthly-pay-raise-for-essential-workers/amp/

More importantly, I expressed discontent with the fact that, as a country, we keep celebrating essential workers (the so-called heroes), but the country hasn’t yet passed even one bill to pay these employees more. Some of us are tipping more. We donate more, and we applaud as they walk by. We even share social media clips of people clapping and whistling as they begin and end their shifts, but we haven’t done one thing as a country to mourn the dead, and we haven’t done one damn thing as a nation to truly honor our heroes. Basically, the message being sent to essential workers is that we appreciate you; we are grateful to you; we truly thank you—but we might never pay you.

10 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

A member of our game night group's daughter has tested positive. So far nobody else in her household has tested positive but her sister has been forced into quarantine as a precaution. The shitty part is that while the one that tested positive will get her full pay while sick without using sick leave. The sister is forced to use her sick leave on her forced quarantine. They both work for the same company...

Which imo is a huge failure all around. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-52532651

A politician in India recently demanded the immediate opening of shops selling alcohol, which had been closed during the country's lockdown.

"When coronavirus can be removed by washing hands with alcohol, then drinking alcohol will surely remove the virus from the throat," said Bharat Singh, a senior member of the Congress Party in Rajasthan state.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

That's how I fight a cold! Cold germs can't withstand the deliciousness of bourbon going down my gullet. 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Eh didn't Tito's go through this already and said it's not enough alcohol?

Drink straight everclear you cowards!

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Chris- said:

At my local Y, days before they closed due to the quar, nobody was wiping down their equipment. The poor older employees had to go wipe up after them, I almost had a rage stroke.