~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

6 minutes ago, Dodger said:

4 people bought desks including me that I saw. People have been told to wfh but if you haven’t set yourself up yet you need to get your office stuff. The girl at ikea said they were at 160% index and it’s only been this busy when college starts. Best Buy was sold out of monitors keyboards mouses web cams etc. Not all of us were ready to go wfh at a moments notice.

I bought a desk as well. For the odd day here and there, working from my dining room table had worked fine. I can't, however, make weeks of that work with toddlers running around.

16 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

These measures without a moratorium on rent, mortgage, and other debt payments is a recipe for social catastrophe.

The real social catastrophe would be everyone realizing that the world will keep spinning if they don't pay rent, mortgages, and other debt payments, so... might as well toss some chum to the sharks before that light bulb turns on.

3 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Those HAVE to be coming, right? How could they not be?

Imagine the effect of the government shutdown had on northern Virginia and Maryland, but instead people are not going paid, people are getting laid off, and no promise of back pay underwritten by the federal government.

Across the entire country.

4 hours ago, Dodger said:

Went to Best Buy to get some monitors for work and everything under $400 was sold out. So it’s not just food and tp.

Like I said earlier, I grabbed a monitor and keyboard on my way out of the office on Friday without asking first because fuck trying to get that approved even in normal circumstances. I sincerely doubt anyone will actually notice, and absolute worst case scenario I'm just gonna tell them "we were actively encouraged to work from home and I did what I needed to do to make that work out".

23 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's possible we may see UBI rolled out in some countries to react to this.

Meanwhile, I look forward to my fellow Americans getting sold into debt slavery and having that rebundled 30 times over as securitized assets.

Canadian cabinet met today and a few Ministers said an announcement is coming tomorrow. Rumours that it is big. Possibilities include closing of borders and national mandatory quarantine period (with restriction of movement except for necessary trips). Lots of rumours swirling, it was stupid of the Ministers to hint there was an announcement without actually making it.

Alberta announced school closures, and went as far as saying they will probably be closed until September if there is any good to come of it. All students will simply be passed to the next grade.

At this point I will not be surprised if there is some form of national UBI rolled out (through EI or something) to combat the total collapse/closure of entire industries.

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Canadian cabinet met today and a few Ministers said an announcement is coming tomorrow. Rumours that it is big. Possibilities include closing of borders and national mandatory quarantine period (with restriction of movement except for necessary trips). Lots of rumours swirling, it was stupid of the Ministers to hint there was an announcement without actually making it.

Alberta announced school closures, and went as far as saying they will probably be closed until September if there is any good to come of it. All students will simply be passed to the next grade.

At this point I will not be surprised if there is some form of national UBI rolled out (through EI or something) to combat the total collapse/closure of entire industries.

Yeah tomorrow will be interesting. I don't know if it will go as far as full lockdown but I could see closing the borders or routing all incoming people into government run quarantine (much like those coming back from china or the cruise ships). If lockdown does happen, I should be good other then I need to run out and grab some coffee beans since I ordered a pour over coffee machine from amazon that I should get tomorrow morning (I need my coffee!!!).

4 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah tomorrow will be interesting. I don't know if it will go as far as full lockdown but I could see closing the borders or routing all incoming people into government run quarantine (much like those coming back from china or the cruise ships). If lockdown does happen, I should be good other then I need to run out and grab some coffee beans since I ordered a pour over coffee machine from amazon (I need my coffee!!!).

I have a Canadian friend who's in Florida with his wife right now and I just messaged him that he should really look at moving up his flight back as soon as humanly possible before he gets stranded. Although I guess they could fly to Seattle and then one-way a car rental to Vancouver.

They set off on the already-booked cruise I think a couple of weeks ago and it was already kind of a dubious decision at that point but I guess it wasn't blatantly bonkers the way it is right now.

I can't believe my province (SK) still hasn't closed schools. We're one of the last holdouts. Judging from people online however, many parents are holding their kids back at this point. My department (IT for one of the two divisions in Regina) has been asked how quickly we could get all of the 10,000 kids into our online testing/training system. :\

Most people in my department are going to be working from home, I don't have that choice. But I plan to go into schools tomorrow before anyone else is there (helps that there is currently a work dispute between the government and teacher's union, so no one is entering schools before classes start) and do some work/repairs, and then get the hell out before kids arrive.

A depressing article on why flattening the curve will do almost nothing to help, since even spreading the infection over the next year will still overload the medical systems of the world 10x over: https://medium.com/@joschabach/flattening-the-curve-is-a-deadly-delusion-eea324fe9727

We simply don't have enough ventilators and ICU beds/equipment.

Basically, we'd need to stretch it out over 10-15 years to stay within the limits we have (USA):

1*FoIElQyKudIShpnBHckC5A.png

The article goes on to say that flattening the curve isn't the solution, completely stopping the curve is. This is why the only effective solution (health-wise) is to basically stop society for the next 1 to 2 years until a vaccine can be developed, and hope that the virus doesn't mutate much or develop numerous strains.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

The article goes on to say that flattening the curve isn't the solution, completely stopping the curve is. This is why the only effective solution (health-wise) is to basically stop society for the next 1 to 2 years 

Is such a thing even possible?