Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to quit royal family, possibly move to Canada

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/prince-harry-letter-meghan-markle-palace-response-royal-family-queen-a9276001.html

They put out a press release saying they fully support the Queen, but that they intend to take a step back as "senior members" of the royal family in order to focus on their charitable work. The release says they plan to split time between the UK and North America in order to raise their son in both a royal and non-royal environment. They also want to be financially independent from the royal family. The rumour is that they plan to move to Canada, where they recently spent six weeks (Vancouver Island).

The palace has put out a statement throwing shade:

Yes, yes...unlike the accepted approach of leaving public duties, sexually assaulting minors.

I don't blame them. The British press are monsters and the way they've treated Meghan Markle has been incredibly racist.

EDIT -

Also, the idea of becoming financially independent of the royal family when literally the only thing you have to offer to the world is your celebrity for being a Royal is so hilarious to me.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Also, the idea of becoming financially independent of the royal family when literally the only thing you have to offer to the world is your celebrity for being a Royal is so hilarious to me.

I am guessing they could comfortably live off of Markle's earnings from her acting career.

Also, I am waiting for a similar "disappointed" statement from the family re: Prince Andrew and his statutory rape of teen girls.

Anything in the end that gets more royals out of the world, the better, imo.

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I am guessing they could comfortably live off of Markle's earnings from her acting career.

Looking at her IMBD page, I’m pretty sure they would take a substantial lifestyle hit were they to be living off what she had been producing as an actress prior to their marriage. She didn’t have a particularly noteworthy career.

24 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Looking at her IMBD page, I’m pretty sure they would take a substantial lifestyle hit were they to be living off what she had been producing as an actress prior to their marriage. She didn’t have a particularly noteworthy career.

Never heard of her until she became royalty.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Suits was a pretty huge hit.

No it wasn’t :p It had one decent season of ratings for a basic cable show, and fell right off a cliff soon thereafter. But it was cheap to make, so still profitable.

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

You can’t understand not wanting to feel behooved to the source of your “income”?

5 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

You can’t understand not wanting to feel behooved to the source of your “income”?

Maybe the point I’m making is unclear, but what exactly is Harry going to do to make a living that is separate from the fact that he’s part of the royal family? I can’t imagine he’s going to take an entry level 8-5 job. He is inextricably linked to his royal heritage, and it will continue to be what allows him to live the life style he is accustomed to. His source of income remains the same, he just won’t have to do the things a Royal is expected to do.

27 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Maybe the point I’m making is unclear, but what exactly is Harry going to do to make a living that is separate from the fact that he’s part of the royal family? I can’t imagine he’s going to take an entry level 8-5 job. He is inextricably linked to his royal heritage, and it will continue to be what allows him to live the life style he is accustomed to. His source of income remains the same, he just won’t have to do the things a Royal is expected to do.

North American's are almost as enthralled with the Royals as the Brits. They'll just release some sort of themed product line (clothes, makeup, whatever) and be the next set of 'self made' billionaires.

They have more money in the bank than I have/will ever earn.  Probably by a factor of 10.  They won't be able to live like they used to, but they will be fine.

I find it funny that the press is reacting to a 35-year old man deciding to move out, and be independent.  He shouldn't need anyone's permission to do that.

On 1/8/2020 at 4:44 PM, sblfilms said:

They could always keep their celebrity for leaving the Royal family. People will each that garbage reality show right up; the UnRoyals has a terrible ring to it, perfect; worse yet, Royal-ish. There will be fashion articles about what she wore on each episode; commentary on his beard, baby books create. They'll be swimming in "earned" dough.

Edit: I see I'm late to the party.

Looks like Meghan has already returned to Canada.

Also:

lol Piers Morgan you clown. You utter buffoon.

EDIT - Haha a quote from Daily Mail about Harry:

"He used to be a fun-loving, fratboyish budding young sexual predator, but then he got WOKE, and started talking about the ENVIRONMENT and expressing FEELINGS."

5 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I love how “woke” has just become a synonym for “adjacent to black people” for a certain demographic. It’s the new urban. 

And like every phrase that white people appropriate from black people they never cared to understand what it really means and are happy to continue using it incorrectly.

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

And like every phrase that white people appropriate from black people they never cared to understand what it really means and are happy to continue using it incorrectly.

Facts right here

Honest and probably stupid question: 

Do people like Piers Morgan? Like, does anyone like him on either (or any) side? 

I guess people must. Hell, people like Trump. But at least that's understandable (they're racist). 

I don't get the appeal of Morgan in any capacity. 

3 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Honest and probably stupid question: 

Do people like Piers Morgan? Like, does anyone like him on either (or any) side? 

I guess people must. Hell, people like Trump. But at least that's understandable (they're racist). 

I don't get the appeal of Morgan in any capacity. 

People willingly watch Hannity and Tucker Carlson...