Brave 2A-er stands his ground while harassing a family in parked vehicle, shoots dad, is not charged

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/21/hes-accused-of-killing-someone-in-a-parking-spot-dispute-authorities-say-he-was-standing-his-ground/?utm_term=.71b141021126

Some crotchety old fucktard starts harassing a tired nurse in a parked vehicle with her and her boyfriend's kids. It's a handicap spot and he takes this shit seriously. Boyfriend rushes out of the store and shoves old fucktard away from the car. Old fucktard shoots boyfriend in the chest, killing him. Old fucktard will not be chatged because he stood his ground.

Watching the video it seemed the guy shoved the old guy to the ground without trying to de-escalate the situation. The guy starts backing up as the old guy pulls his gun out. 

Violence begets violence, I suppose. I am not sure the exact wording of the law, but if you can shoot somebody who is in retreat, then the law needs to be reworked. 

And the way the police are enforcing this, the old guy can do this again. According to the story he threatened to shoot somebody at the same store over the same thing weeks ago. It is a pattern of confrontational behavior. 

7 minutes ago, legend said:

How is this country this fucking broken? What the fuck is wrong with this place!?

Everyday day brings another piece of insanity. We're governed by absolute morons put in power by absolute morons.

Like we said in the other thread a while ago, it seems like it's education and social services that are sorely lacking. We are fundamentally a nation of idiots. :/ 

Edit - Probably "a nation of idiots" is a gross oversimplification, but there is certainly a large undercurrent of ignorance and fear in the US. Also, it reminds me of something I heard a long time ago... I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like:  "Almost anyone who would be willing to run for office is probably not the kind of person you want to be giving power to." 

19 minutes ago, Nokra said:

Like we said in the other thread a while ago, it seems like it's education and social services that are sorely lacking. We are fundamentally a nation of idiots. :/ 

Edit - Probably "a nation of idiots" is a gross oversimplification, but there is certainly a large undercurrent of ignorance and fear in the US. Also, it reminds me of something I heard a long time ago... I can't remember the exact quote, but it was something like:  "Almost anyone who would be willing to run for office is probably not the kind of person you want to be giving power to." 

No you were right the first time... we are indeed, a nation of idiots because only simple minded morons would find this acceptable. Clever sociopaths can basically use this law to provoke situations where they are "forced" to shoot someone and kill them. There are fucked up cases like this happening all the time... I saw one on Dateline where this guy provoked a fight with his neighbors and shot BOTH of them, a husband and wife, to death claiming that he was "In fear for his life". The Law should be able to differentiate between legit self defense and antagonistic behavior that leads to this type of shit. This is horrible and can easily happen to any one of us. As was said earlier this old fuckwit had a pattern of this shit.

Reporters asked whether the fact that Drejka initiated the incident made him more culpable — pointing to previous complaints the sheriff’s office has received about him.

A few months ago, according to the Tampa Bay Times, Rick Kelly parked his tanker truck in the same handicapped spot and said he was confronted by Drejka.

Drejka walked around his truck, looking for handicap decals, then demanded to know why Kelly had parked there, the trucker told the Tampa Bay Times. At one point Drejka threatened to shoot Kelly.

“It’s a repeat. It happened to me the first time. The second time it’s happening, someone’s life got taken,” Kelly told the Tampa Bay Times. “He provoked that.”

Please tell me there wasn't a racial component to this story.

No amount of education and no amount of social services will fix a society that was fundamentally broken from its very inception.

The very concept of America IS based on ignorance and fear - those are the foundational bedrock upon which practically the entire society and its institutions are built.

Yeah people take handicapped parking way too seriously. Like my sister who had three kids with muscular dystrophy shouldn't get upset when people park in the handicapped spot. Or my friend who gets upset when someone parks in the handicapped stripped grid so they can't use the van ramp. The guy shouldn't have been killed just because he's a inconsiderate ahole and I agree he got away with murder. 

^It's not worth accosting someone over parking in the handicapped spot unless you know for an absolute fact it's someone who doesn't need it and/or is a abusing a placard since you never know what the circumstances are, especially with people who may LOOK fine but have an issue that's invisible to observers.

6 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Or my friend who gets upset when someone parks in the handicapped stripped grid so they can't use the van ramp.

It's still not worth getting into an altercation over, but this is different considering it completely undermines the point of the spot. Especially if someone has already parked in the handicapped spot it can mean making it so that the handicapped person can't get back in their van due to having nowhere to extend the ramp out to.

I hate people who wrongfully park in handicapped spots, but in a situation like this, I probably wouldn't care too much. It's a small parking lot for a convenience store, the parking lot is near empty, and the actual handicapped spot was further away from the door than other open spots. Plus, it was a quick in and out situation, where the woman and kids were waiting in the car, so you know they're not going to be there more than a few minutes. 

This guy was an asshole, period. It shouldn't have happened.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

^It's not worth accosting someone over parking in the handicapped spot unless you know for an absolute fact it's someone who doesn't need it and/or is a abusing a placard since you never know what the circumstances are, especially with people who may LOOK fine but have an issue that's invisible to observers. 

• Haha 1

Not for a "hold my beer and watch this moment." A church shooting happened in Fallon, NV (about an hour from me). The shooter was able to walk home after the shooting and surrendered after police called him...

This is a place so right wing loving that people are threatened if they even think to talk negatively about guns. 

EDIT: I think I fixed the link. 

44 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Not for a "hold my beer and watch this moment." A church shooting happened in Fallon, NV (about an hour from me). The shooter was able to walk home after the shooting and surrendered after police called him...

This is a place so right wing loving that people are threatened if they even think to talk negatively about guns. 

I couldn't get that link to work but here is one that seems to work.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/nation-now/lds-church-shooting-leaves-1-dead-1-injured-in-fallon-nevada/465-743ee4d0-a00d-42c7-ad17-70e87b877ed7

Do you live towards Reno/Sparks? Just curious because I live in Reno.

Reading the stuff on the Fallon page of FB. The person's home was not close to the LDS. Also one of the people that was there posted a thing about this was done right after the sacrament just after children sang a song. Everyone knew the guy had mental issues/drug use. He attacked and killed the person that was "helping" him with these demons. 

We are getting this from a person that comes down to our library to host art classes. On a side note most of the postings that are now on the FB group have been deleted as they started talking about if the nation's gun control worked this person wouldn't have a gun. 

18 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

No amount of education and no amount of social services will fix a society that was fundamentally broken from its very inception.

The very concept of America IS based on ignorance and fear - those are the foundational bedrock upon which practically the entire society and its institutions are built.

Do I need to read the book you recommended to know what you mean by this? :thinking: 

Question for the class about Stand Your Ground in general - At what point is lethal self-defense OK, if ever?  How many attacks should someone have to endure before deciding, "OK this person is going to really hurt me?"  Someone bigger and stronger than you charges and knocks you to the pavement and stands over you.  Do you wait for follow-up attacks?  A kick to the face?  Or does it matter at all; lethal response in self defense is never appropriate and you should just curl up and hope for the best?

13 minutes ago, Slug said:

Question for the class about Stand Your Ground in general - At what point is lethal self-defense OK, if ever?  How many attacks should someone have to endure before deciding, "OK this person is going to really hurt me?"  Someone bigger and stronger than you charges and knocks you to the pavement and stands over you.  Do you wait for follow-up attacks?  A kick to the face?  Or does it matter at all; lethal response in self defense is never appropriate and you should just curl up and hope for the best?

When the attacker is clearly brandishing a weapon is the only situation where I would consider lethal self-defense using another weapon to be acceptable.

37 minutes ago, Slug said:

I honestly don't think its ever OK unless it happens inside your own property, or they clearly have a weapon, getting into a fight in public and then shooting someone cause you lost is absolutely unacceptable, especially one you started.  The idea i could legally harass someone to the point they might strike me and then i can pull out a gun and kill them is absolutely ludicrous.

11 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

When the attacker is clearly brandishing a weapon is the only situation where I would consider lethal self-defense using another weapon to be acceptable.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

I honestly don't think its ever OK unless it happens inside your own property, or they clearly have a weapon, getting into a fight in public and then shooting someone cause you lost is absolutely unacceptable, especially one you started.

I generally agree with these and and of the opinion that if you’re carrying around a gun with the notion that you need to be able to protect yourself with lethal force at any time you’re far more likely to see lethal intent where none exists.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

So no disparity in size/strength or circumstance matters if no other weapon is involved?  Victim is elderly?  5'6 110lb. girl attacked by 6'4 250lb. guy?  No weapons but victim is on the ground and the attack is continuing (repeated kicks, etc.)?  Multiple attackers?