Elon Musk, the very stable genius, spent $50,000 digging into critic’s personal life

Jason

Elon Musk spent more than $50,000 digging into the personal life of British expat and Thai caver Vern Unsworth in summer 2018 in an effort to substantiate the claim that he was a "pedo guy." Musk revealed the spending in his latest response to a defamation lawsuit Unsworth filed against him last year.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/09/musk-paid-investigator-50000-to-substantiate-pedo-guy-claim/

• Guillotine 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Jose said:

The specs sound amazing too. Sucks that it looks like shit.

Yup! I kept thinking Musk was gonna be like “JK, here’s what it really looks like” during the stream.

On 11/22/2019 at 7:00 AM, 2user1cup said:

It doesn't even look functional for truck drivers. 

I'm slightly conflicted on this point. On the one hand, yeah, it seems less functional than a normal truck. I think the biggest issue is that you can't access the bed from the sides, or at least not very well.

On the other hand, most people who own trucks don't really use it as one. Most people don't go offroad, most people don't put much, if anything in the bed, most people are not foremen or ranchers or towing boats all around. So most of the truck buyers in the US probably wouldn't hit many of the limitations that the Cybertruck presents, or at least not very often.

Then again, I also feel like people who buy trucks largely want to be the people that buy trucks, and if the Cybertruck doesn't fit in that culture, you're not getting many of those buyers. In which case you're probably just selling Cybertrucks to people that likely would have bought a Model Y and not folks looking at an F-150. I think that's probably where I end up on this. They're not going to convert a ton of "traditional" truck buyers, but I do think they'll sell well enough.

The real question is if they can actually make it and if the way they make it is actually a good idea. I think the former is more likely than the latter. Folding steel is easy enough, and certainly a well understood process, and my understanding is it's cheaper than stamping. However, if you're relying on that steel for structure I can imagine there being some real problems. Something I've seen a lot of questions about is what happens if you get in a fender bender. If you mess up part of the body, and the body is the structure, what do you do? Laser cut it out and weld in a replacement? That seems insane.