Dorian could be hurricane when it reaches Puerto Rico

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/dorian-could-be-hurricane-when-it-reaches-puerto-rico/ar-AAGjCSX?ocid=AMZN

Tropical storm warnings were in effect for several Caribbean islands Sunday night as Tropical Storm Dorian headed toward the region on a path that could send it crashing into Puerto Rico as a hurricane by midweek.

Dorian, the fourth named storm of the Atlantic hurricane season, formed as a tropical depression on Saturday and quickly gathered strength.

It was several hundred miles southeast of Barbados on Sunday night, but maximum winds had increased to 50 mph as it moved west at about 14 mph, the National Hurricane Center said.

20 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

*if it hits Puerto Rico

One thing that is looking more certain: if it takes a more easterly track to Puerto Rico, it'll encounter less wind shear. Best case scenario is that this goes into Hispaniola and encounters land + high shear.

Blah blah shut it nerd. We already decided to nuke this bitch.

3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Winds now at 175 mph.

When I was a kid, i always had a fascination with hurricanes and other extreme weather...as long as it wasn't affecting me that is, lol.

spacer.png

Look at that monster.  It's both fascinating and terrifying...

The are absolutely fascinating, terrifying, and majestic.

It's slowing down. That's straight-up terrible for the Bahamas.

In Florida's case, the more it slows down now, the further east it'll turn north, which could be great news for the state. This could still make landfall (the track shifted west a bit earlier but seemed to hold steady in the latest updated track), but the east coast could still avoid the strongest winds. If you're on the east coast, finish your preparations, keep the shutters up, all that good stuff.

I can't WAIT until hurricanes somehow get turned into a partisan issue (as all things slowly are in the US). This will be a sure-thing if Florida somehow became a blue state. In 10-15 years I expect the GOP position to be "listen, if people want aid or help, maybe they shouldn't live where there is weather. America was built on individual responsibility, and people have to take that responsibility for existing where wind is."

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

@SaysWho? - I assume that there is no indication of eye wall deterioration? 

Not at the moment, no, but as it hovers over the Bahamas, we could see some deterioration because even though they're not mountainous or anything, they still provide some disruption. In addition to that, I wouldn't be surprised to see an eye wall replacement cycle, so all of that could bring the winds down. It'd still be a powerful hurricane and potentially still Cat 5, of course.