Dorian could be hurricane when it reaches Puerto Rico

2 minutes ago, ort said:

I like how foxnews.com's current lead story on this is how China helping the Bahamas might give them a military advantage.

I feel guilty. I came of political age during the Obama administration (turned 20 in 2008) so I only knew Fox News as an angry, opposition party channel. A small part of me wanted a Republican to win (not Trump, back when the field was 10-15) only to see what Fox News looked like with a Republican president.

I was wrong. So wrong. It's the exact same channel. It's a cancer for the mind. Poison to the eyes and ears.

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I feel guilty. I came of political age during the Obama administration (turned 20 in 2008) so I only knew Fox News as an angry, opposition party channel. A small part of me wanted a Republican to win (not Trump, back when the field was 10-15) only to see what Fox News looked like with a Republican president.

I was wrong. So wrong. It's the exact same channel. It's a cancer for the mind. Poison to the eyes and ears.

Damn, bro. Many of us remember them during the Bush years; they're State TV for Republicans and change their arguments depending on who is president.

That's why they're not a conservative channel. They're a Republican channel.

4 hours ago, atom631 said:

i cannot fucking believe that this whole Alabama thing is still a topic.

“Precious hours were wasted”: Trump’s doctored map affected hurricane forecasters

Instead of warning residents of the Southeastern United States about a re-strengthening Dorian just as it posed its greatest threat to the nation, the media subsequently pivoted to cover Trump's preposterous attempt to re-write the history of Dorian's forecast. As an American, I felt embarrassed. As a meteorologist, I was livid.

Making landfall just next to Halifax as a Cat 2. Hundreds of thousands in maritime Canada in its path. Needless to say, Canada is not as prepared for hurricanes as the southern US.

Military is mobilizing to provide aid as power is already out around the region.

Canadian military is allowed to operate inside Canada's borders under a process known as Aid to Civil Powers, and has been used in the past to help fight wild fires, provide aid during ice storms, etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/dorian-weather-saturday-1.5274673

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Winds are already hitting the city and region. A crane has collapsed in the downtown area:

Fuck me. I was just in Halifax a few weeks ago. My wife is from there and has a lot of family there. Her cousin is a fire chief in Dartmouth. I’m sure he’s busy as hell. 

4 minutes ago, atom631 said:

Fuck me. I was just in Halifax a few weeks ago. My wife is from there and has a lot of family there. Her cousin is a fire chief in Dartmouth. I’m sure he’s busy as hell. 

Yeah it will likely be bad, the city isn't built for this. I was also incorrect, it is expected to make landfall this evening, and cross over Prince Edward Island tomorrow morning.

EDIT - Looks like it will involve snow too, as it heads over PEI and into Newfoundland/Labrador.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah it will likely be bad, the city isn't built for this. I was also incorrect, it is expected to make landfall this evening, and cross over Prince Edward Island tomorrow morning.

EDIT - Looks like it will involve snow too, as it heads over PEI and into Newfoundland/Labrador.

Don't give up that easy. If you dig in I think you can still win this one.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Excuse me what

A former neighbour is right in the path in Nova Scotia. His fiancé has updated her Facebook saying it was getting pretty bad there and it hasn’t made landfall. He is also in the Arm Forces and I guess he might be cleaning up his own area if they’re assigned to do so. I will also have to check in on my buddy who lives in P.E.I. and see if he will still have his Greenhouses standing once Dorian’s is done.

53 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I have to admit, those high rises are not what I pictured when I picture Nova Scotia

Seems to be like that in the Maritime provinces for the short high rises. That buddy of mine in PEI brought friends down with him about 8 years ago to my town. Currently we have a 14 story max building code (being changed to allow higher builds now) and his buddies were taking pictures because of their height. A couple of them freaked out when we went down to catch the air show in Toronto. He filled a couple SD cards that day, a few pic for the air show but shit-ton for all the tall buildings in Toronto.