Dorian could be hurricane when it reaches Puerto Rico

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I can't WAIT until hurricanes somehow get turned into a partisan issue (as all things slowly are in the US). This will be a sure-thing if Florida somehow became a blue state. In 10-15 years I expect the GOP position to be "listen, if people want aid or help, maybe they shouldn't live where there is weather. America was built on individual responsibility, and people have to take that responsibility for existing where wind is."

What do you mean wait, see how Puerto Rico was treated vs others for the same storm. If PR was full of white republican voters it would have been vastly different.

4 hours ago, chakoo said:

What do you mean wait, see how Puerto Rico was treated vs others for the same storm. If PR was full of white republican voters it would have been vastly different.

Yeah, I was going to say, this already has started. And using the fake 92 billion number which Trump supporters fall for and making them think somehow Democrats there stole it because a liberal mayor for a town exists even though it was a conservative governor that ousted for being corrupt. 

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yeah, I was going to say, this already has started. And using the fake 93 million number which Trump supporters fall for and making them think somehow Democrats there stole it because a liberal mayor for a town exists even though it was a conservative governor that ousted for being corrupt. 

I believe he said 92 billion not 93 million.

The HWRF model, which is a non-global model specifically used for hurricanes, was very good showing rapid intensification for this storm. It is now showing the pressure gradually increasing over the next day. Again, this thing will remain a powerful Cat 5 storm, but this potentially could mean the storm has hit its ceiling in terms of wind speed. I'll take whatever weakening I can get, you know?

Glad the president has his priorities straight.

6 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've read that it's not turning north as expected in some models now, and is expected to hit northern Florida, just weaker?

Time out.

I don't know what you're reading, but there was no expected turn north in terms of "This is the moment it's turning." The expectation has always been -- as we're currently seeing with its 1 mph movement -- that its steering currents would collapse and it would shift north. The question has been when, which is why north Florida has been in the cone.