The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

I went to one of Korea's mass protests a few years ago. There was a massive crowd outside city hall. Know what the cops were doing? They had formed lines on the lawn in front of the hall and were sitting down. Sitting down! Imagine if American cops actually tried to de-escalate, rather than take out their inadequacies and aggression on others.

4 minutes ago, thewhyteboar said:

All the cops have enough equipment to storm Fallujah. No wonder our cities are bankrupt. Imagine if we shrunk police budgets by 99% and used that money to actually improve the lives of residents. 

The police and sheriff department budget in my city isn't as big as the education budget.

But, comparing 2017 to 2020 pre-pandemic budgets, the police and sheriff got an increase of ~12%, while the education budget went down 0.5%

The US Military Is Monitoring Protests in 7 States (The Nation)

The US military is monitoring protests in at least seven states, according to Defense Department documents obtained exclusively by The Nation.

In addition to Minnesota, where a Minneapolis police officer killed George Floyd, the military is tracking uprisings in New York, Ohio, Colorado, Arizona, Tennessee, and Kentucky, according to a Defense Department situation report. Notably, only Minnesota has requested National Guard support. The documents were originally stored on an unclassified server but were subsequently “elevated” to a classified system. While the documents reveal significant National Guard force capabilities in each of the seven states, one Minnesota Guard member expressed concerns about the troops’ lack of training in responding to civil unrest.

Another document about the protests in Minnesota, titled “MNNG Civil Disturbance Response Storybook,” is also marked FOUO and dated May 29. It states that National Guard members have been authorized for “weapon status red,” meaning magazines loaded but safety on. The document seems particularly concerned not just with harm to civilians but also potential damage to property, to which it refers several times. For example, the assessment line notes that the Guard will “ensure the safety of citizens and property.”

13 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nervous, untrained, armed national guardsmen. What's the worst that can happen?

I'm kinda counting on the relatively high minority composition of the National Guard relative to law enforcement and the fact that the vast majority are in the Guard for "material" reasons like money for school, learning a skill/trade, etc. to act as a "brake" on whatever it is that could happen.

I'm in the Rochester NY area and shit is popping off here, I'm in the rural suburbs so I"m ok but the city and surrounding suburbs are experiencing significant looting and fires. My girlfriend's parents are like half a mile from a large mall and they got a shelter in place robo-call at 6pm, the whole county has a curfew at 9pm 

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I didn't know people were protesting in my area. Supposedly, it was peaceful until a small younger crowd threw water bottles and then police in riot gear showed up and things escalated to pepper spray pretty quickly. 

nmCwyrO.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pennlive.com/news/2020/05/protester-violence-at-harrisburgs-george-floyd-rally-could-have-been-prevented-if-not-for-riot-police.html%3foutputType=amp

I'm in the (comparatively) rural suburbs across the river from the city, so I should be okay.

...even so, I might start carrying my swiss army knife more often, just in case...

Aside from the right or wrong of these protests/riots....man, between this and the haircut crowd the infections are going to fucking skyrocket in a couple weeks.

I am reminded of a Tweet Wade or someone else  posted much earlier in this thread that went something like, "A disaster doesn't break your country, it exposes where it was already broken". 

Uproars are happening in Florida as well, I think in Tampa and St Pete.

The emotion and anger at this seems so much more palpable than the ones from the past few years, maybe since Ferguson? For this one, I'm trying to focus on family videos/pictures on FB because the news is upsetting. Obviously the stuff is happening no matter how much or how little anyone's paying attention, but at a certain point -- especially being in this field -- you have to detach from the news from time to time.

18 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

Aside from the right or wrong of these protests/riots....man, between this and the haircut crowd the infections are going to fucking skyrocket in a couple weeks.

I am reminded of a Tweet Wade or someone else  posted much earlier in this thread that went something like, "A disaster doesn't break your country, it exposes where it was already broken". 

You know the haircut protests were nearly a month ago, right? Infection rates have gone way down in that span of time.

Maybe these protests have an effect, but they are also outside and many are wearing masks. We shall see.