The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Sooo, if we abolish the police, who do we call for protection? Most of you guys are for a complete gun ban, so if police aren't here to protect us, then what?

Like I said, the system is rotten and needs reform, but what does the populace do without police entirely?

Fire them all, and rehire and start from scratch.

Or have detectives actually do actual police work with a limited number of cops and/or social workers perform arrests and not for petty shit/not get used as a personal tool for big business and white supremacy.

Or demilitarize the police (all these apcs, "less than lethal" weapons, etc)

Or actual deescalation training and powerful citizen review boards

Or many other big reforms like having the federal DOJ intervene every time a cop kills someone.

All the while tackling the root cause of violence and hopelessness in these communities through pulling people out of poverty through direct monetary transfers, guaranteed health care, affordable housing/transportation, and quality education among other things.

The point is these issues are big and need more than just token reform; police departments need cleaned out at minimum, and the material needs of the poor (read: disproportionately black and brown people) need to be met. 

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Fire them all, and rehire and start from scratch.

Or have detectives actually do actual police work with a limited number of cops and/or social workers perform arrests and not for petty shit/not get used as a personal tool for big business and white supremacy.

Or demilitarize the police (all these apcs, "less than lethal" weapons, etc)

Or actual deescalation training and powerful citizen review boards

Or many other big reforms like having the federal DOJ intervene every time a cop kills someone.

All the while tackling the root cause of violence and hopelessness in these communities through pulling people out of poverty through direct monetary transfers, guaranteed health care, affordable housing/transportation, and quality education among other things.

The point is these issues are big and need more than just token reform; police departments need cleaned out at minimum, and the material needs of the poor (read: disproportionately black and brown people) need to be met. 

I mean, I agree with essentially all of that. thanks for elaborating some instead of just "abolish police." We kind of need them, unlike ICE.

The police need to "know" the community and the community needs to "know" the police.

Ideally, this would mean that the police should live in the community they patrol, but if that's not possible, then at a minimum they need to get out of the squad car and walk their patrol rounds on foot.

Also, get rid of the "tacticool" gear for non-SRT officers so they look like a normal person and not a Call of Duty NPC.

51 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's property you nitwit it is replaceable. It's property crime, not violent crime for a reason

Kicking the windshield of a police car while there is an officer in it is a violent act. 

Some of these protestors are violent and instigating violence. It's naive to think otherwise.

Not sure how that invalidates my point, but yes, that is horrible.

My point was that bmbmbm said there was no violence, just "a few(at best)" stores being burned, which isn't violence, just property damage. Then one video of rioters beating a man gets posted. Then a guy steals a gun and fires it indiscriminately.

To say there's no violence outside of the police is incredibly naive.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck Trump. His messaging to his base (of which the police are a part) has caused the targeting of the press. How long until a reporter is killed?

At this stage journalists reporting from a warzone overseas are probably safer than those reporting from the riots. 

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Eh, not really. Some of you seem to be frothing at the mouth for violence.

If it were up to me all these protestors should be converging on the White House and dragging out the Trump family like they’re the Romanovs.

7 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

If it were up to me all these protestors should be converging on the White House and dragging out the Trump family like they’re the Romanovs.

That, I could almost get behind. Except the kid.

But Trump is merely a symptom of the problem. Not that I would be upset if he had a massive coronary...

4 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

That, I could almost get behind. Except the kid.

But Trump is merely a symptom of the problem. Not that I wouldn't be upset if he had a massive coronary...

I take back my statement. 

The Romanovs had a private ending. Give them the Mussolini finale instead.

But send Barron to live with Tiffany. Or Meghan McCain.

9 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

You would have a lot of dead people and they probably wouldn't even make it inside before being stopped.

I get Trump is fat, but I wouldn’t consider him multiple people just because he has multiple chins.

8 minutes ago, Brick said:

Let's just hope they're being sincere. 

They’re cops. It doesn’t really matter since the current state of police needs to be eradicated. A few nice guys aren’t going to change a damn thing. They’re a part of something that is evil from top to bottom.  Reform the police in the United States and then maybe we can talk about how nice some of these guys are.

5 hours ago, Emperor Diocletian II said:

The police need to "know" the community and the community needs to "know" the police.

Ideally, this would mean that the police should live in the community they patrol, but if that's not possible, then at a minimum they need to get out of the squad car and walk their patrol rounds on foot.

Also, get rid of the "tacticool" gear for non-SRT officers so they look like a normal person and not a Call of Duty NPC.

Important to note here this is functionally impossible in much of the country, by deliberate design. It's one of the many subtle ways racism has pervaded every aspect of government policy

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/05/newark-traffic-stopped-flag-burned-during-george-floyd-protests.html

The George Floyd police brutality protests in Newark on Saturday were a far cry from some of the more violent demonstrations that have broken out throughout the country, as things remained peaceful for the majority of the afternoon.

I was trying to directly post the pictures in this article but if you click through the slide show and view them, tell me what's missing from them BESIDES the looting and ransacking?

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/05/newark-traffic-stopped-flag-burned-during-george-floyd-protests.html

I was trying to directly post the pictures in this article but if you click through the slide show and view them, tell me what's missing from them BESIDES the looting and ransacking?

Melanin-deficient individuals!

2 hours ago, johnny said:

They’re cops. It doesn’t really matter since the current state of police needs to be eradicated. A few nice guys aren’t going to change a damn thing. They’re a part of something that is evil from top to bottom.  Reform the police in the United States and then maybe we can talk about how nice some of these guys are.

Christopher Dorner was just ahead of his time.

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's almost as if this isn't about the oppression of African-Americans anymore.

• Thanks 1