The Official Thread of Systemic Racism

10 hours ago, Jason said:

There's so much bad jurisprudence around making sure law enforcement (and government officials in general) can flagrantly break the law with impunity.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Codifying racism into law isn't hard . . . for racists.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect...”

So Ohio has sent me all of one letter in the mail before purging my name from their voter database. Mind you, I don't live in Ohio nor have I in almost a decade. That said, I hope they're at the very least sending well more than one to Ohio residents. But they're probably not because the real intention here is to disenfranchise voters (and primarily those who vote Democrat; black and brown voters)

2 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

I understand the reason for the invocation of the castle doctrine in the judge's instructions as that would be part of the "mistake of fact" (that she thought she was in her own home) that the defense is predicating its case on.

It's still a morally repugnant situation.

I thought you might like this story from The Washington Post.
Amber Guyger, police officer who shot a man to death in his apartment, found guilty of murder
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/01/amber-guyger-police-officer-who-shot-man-death-his-apartment-found-guilty-murder/

• Like 1

There are some legal experts who think that the judge’s instructions regarding castle doctrine were a means of stifling a potential path of appeal. An interesting take.

5 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If she was found innocent because of that anyone could just now walk into someone's house and shoot them and say they thought it was their place of living. :silly:

lol obviously the protection would have only applied to cops

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If she was found innocent because of that anyone could just now walk into someone's house and shoot them and say they thought it was their place of living. :silly:

That’s not how trial court decisions work.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

There are some legal experts who think that the judge’s instructions regarding castle doctrine were a means of stifling a potential path of appeal. An interesting take.

I'm going to guess that the reasoning behind that theory is that by including the doctrine in the jury instructions, the judge essentially precluded an appellate reversal on procedural grounds that it was NOT presented to the jury at the trial phase.

10 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

I'm going to guess that the reasoning behind that theory is that by including the doctrine in the jury instructions, the judge essentially precluded an appellate reversal on procedural grounds that it was NOT presented to the jury at the trial phase.

Correct. 

There is simply no scenario you could come

up with where the actions of the officer were reasonable, even if she was holding her gun at the time.

They snuck around in silence.

They never announced who they were.

They fired the shot that killed her less than 1 second after finally saying something to her.

Unconscionable.  

12 hours ago, outsida said:

Air freshening while black 

The sad thing is if this guy admitted to using drugs at least once in his life the cop would have used it as probable cause to search his car and ‘find’ felony amounts of controlled drugs. 

Oh he's a human lie detector didn't realize Daredevil was training cops these days... this is complete harassment. He's shocked that a black man would be "nervous"... typical power tripping cop :|