Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

12 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Patch 1.5 has introduced a significant change in the game, in that now it crashes upon launching, which it has never done even on day one. I'm now flatlining Choom! :vortex:

OK, there is a fix for this issue. Apparently its only effecting ASUS mobo owners because of the "armored crate" software that comes with it, which you can kill of in task manager before starting the game. Annoying but it works. Game runs really good! This patch seems to be providing a performance boost as prior to this patch, on max settings, I was bouncing between 55-64 FPS, now it never goes below 62 and sometimes hits 70. Perhaps this is the result of variable shader feature or maybe just over all optimization, not sure, but the world is more alive and looks smoother. 

3 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Great video. They summed it up by saying "If you played Cyberpunk on the next gen consoles initially through backwards compatability, you're not gonna get much out of this update." That's how I played it so this is definitely on the back burner for me... if I EVER get around to replaying it.

5 hours ago, TheLeon said:

I played a few hours yesterday on my  Series X. This is my first time, so I don’t have much to compare it to, but it looks and feels good. It seems like something I could really get into, so I’m glad I waited until it was in this state. 

I thought it was an excellent game, but I was running it on one of the few systems it would actually work on stably :p But point is, if they have fixed a lot of the issues, it should be a great ride!

• True 1

On 2/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Great video. They summed it up by saying "If you played Cyberpunk on the next gen consoles initially through backwards compatability, you're not gonna get much out of this update." That's how I played it so this is definitely on the back burner for me... if I EVER get around to replaying it.

this is what I was looking for. I played it on XSX.  Next time I jump in will be if/when they release a big Witcher 3 style DLC. 

Cyberpunk 2077's next-gen patch changes nothing that matters (Eurogamer)

Writing anything good about Cyberpunk 2077 can feel a little like defending the indefensible. This game launched as a disaster on last-gen consoles, got pulled from sale, missed some features that were advertised during pre-launch rounds of marketing (do not get me started on this game's appalling marketing), frequently swerved across the road from mature storytelling to an extremely childish piece of work, and caused seizures without containing a warning.

It is also, honestly, quite a good game. And those two things can be true at once! This is the nature of big budget video games and Cyberpunk 2077 is, if anything, an exercise in understanding that. Playing around with the latest "next-gen" patch only brings it into sharper focus.

2 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I should clarify. I don't care about these changes because I don't think these things, the gubbins, the ever-present trappings of every open-world RPG from the last decade, are the things that matter about Cyberpunk 2077. These are not what make the good bits of games like Cyberpunk good, and they don't make the bad bits any more relevant. Cyberpunk, above all, is built on and carried by its characters, its story of a struggle for humanity - the actual sense of humanity, the feeling of being a human - in an inhuman environment created by humans. It's a game about hope and fear, and what it means to matter to be alive, about finding little flickering wisps of life to try and grab onto, and about the timeless irony of all that. The way human beings like to undermine ourselves when greed, unregulated and unleashed, is the undoing of everything that actually matters for human happiness.

I'm sorry was he expecting them to dig in and change the fundamental storytelling or something? I haven't tried the patch yet and probably won't until the expansion is out, but having realistic expectations as to what a patch is should be a pretty standard expectation of someone working in the gaming industry. Maybe he goes into that later but it was hard to read further as my eyes starting rolling reading this paragraph, thought I was on Polygon, not Eurogamer, for a second there.

I've never seen a patch fundamentally redesign a game and I'm sure as shit not expecting it now. Even something like NMS, which people say has "turned around" over the years, still feels like NMS in a way that makes it really unfun to simply move around. The locomotion systems are terrible in that game and they can't even make jumping around not look stiff and shitty in their combat revamp trailer. And that game has had years to correct and improve itself, and I don't think Hello Games has a bunch of corporate BS or shareholders slowing them down either.

Really wish articles like this would get to the point faster, and have a point that a reasonable human would be expected to agree with.

Okay, went back and finished the article after typing this up just in case he got to a really good point that would make me look the fool. He did not.

Those parts of Cyberpunk 2077 were bad then and they're bad now, but fixing them will do nothing to make this game any better. The good Cyberpunk is weird and sincere and uncomfortable to be in. It's suffocating, oppressive, miserable, provocative. It is (still) annoyingly loud. It's ugly as sin. And it couldn't have been made by anything but humans. This is why you should play it, and why smoothing over its rougher edges won't lessen that, but it won't add anything to it either. You don't make "quality of life" improvements to art.

This might be the dumbest conclusion I've ever read on any article.

If you believe in the "art" of 2077, then yes, the art is fucking better when there's not 3 phone calls overlapping each other all at once and you can't hear anything. What does voice direction or delivery matter if I can't hear? If voice lines end early? If I fall through the world during a high point in a mission? Those are not beautiful imperfections that remind people that the game was made by humans, they're frustrating bullshit that makes people quit playing.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

:lol: You say that like Bethesda games aren't buggy pieces of shit at launch.

Exactly. Game crashed a bunch and into a few glitches but it’s nothing worse than some other games. Other than that it was perfectly playable and dare I say even fun sometimes. Definitely not some travesty of gaming. Apparently it just should have never had a last gen version.

9 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Exactly. Game crashed a bunch and into a few glitches but it’s nothing worse than some other games. Other than that it was perfectly playable and dare I say even fun sometimes. Definitely not some travesty of gaming. Apparently it just should have never had a last gen version.

I think most of the outrage was about the last gen version, because it was all the bugs (+more last-gen exclusive bugs!) on top of ungodly bad performance. Most people I know who played it on PC, including myself, found it a perfectly decent game outside of the bugs.

A lot of the stuff people complained about was pretty funny, especially AI behavior... but I never encountered any of that because I played the game as if it was Deus Ex, rather than GTA, So I never got into police chases or anything because I never saw the point.

Not an excuse for what they delivered, just wasn't relevant to me personally. I also didn't finish the game because it became apparent there'd be a lot of fixes en route, so I'm hoping when I go back it'll be a lot of fun.

They ever fix the 2D cars in the distance? I simultaneously hate and love those fucking things. They're so ridiculous but also completely take away from the moment if you notice them.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:45 AM, Xbob42 said:

Okay, went back and finished the article after typing this up just in case he got to a really good point that would make me look the fool. He did not.

This might be the dumbest conclusion I've ever read on any article.

If you believe in the "art" of 2077, then yes, the art is fucking better when there's not 3 phone calls overlapping each other all at once and you can't hear anything. What does voice direction or delivery matter if I can't hear? If voice lines end early? If I fall through the world during a high point in a mission? Those are not beautiful imperfections that remind people that the game was made by humans, they're frustrating bullshit that makes people quit playing.

Yeah that is a pretty bizarre conclusion. The technical soundness absolutely matters because it detracts from the vision the "artist" was trying to convey. I guarantee those bugs were not intentional and they most definitely do not add to the game. How the fuck are the emotional beats supposed to hit as intended when people's faces are texture glitching and or the voice over audio just drops out? 

I enjoyed the game a lot largely because I got to play a much better version of it. I would have been so frustrated with it if I had to play the garbage most people had to play. But going by this guys conclusions, I guess I played the worse version because it didn't have more bugs!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I started Cyberpunk a few days ago. I think it runs and looks great on PS5. My only real complaint so far was the tutorial mission for braindance I think it's called. Where you are a lady meeting a guy in a big apartment or something. It's like a detective mode where you manipulate a video. Ughh it took way too long to get through and I even considered quitting and moving on. It just didnt feel very clear on what I was doing and wished I could hit a skip button. 

Past it now though and excited to see how the rest goes. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

I started Cyberpunk a few days ago. I think it runs and looks great on PS5. My only real complaint so far was the tutorial mission for braindance I think it's called. Where you are a lady meeting a guy in a big apartment or something. It's like a detective mode where you manipulate a video. Ughh it took way too long to get through and I even considered quitting and moving on. It just didnt feel very clear on what I was doing and wished I could hit a skip button. 

Past it now though and excited to see how the rest goes. 

I believe they allow you to skip it now so if you do any future playthroughs you don't need to go through it again. It was long as hell.

On 2/17/2022 at 8:11 AM, legend said:

I thought it was an excellent game, but I was running it on one of the few systems it would actually work on stably :p But point is, if they have fixed a lot of the issues, it should be a great ride!

As I posted a number of pages back I've been playing it on GeForce Now, the $10/month ray tracing tier not the 3080 $100/6 months tier. I have everything maxed at 1080p and it runs great. The main tradeoff is no mods since the mods have to be through Steam Workshop (or the equivalent on whatever store you bought the game on) and the game doesn't have Steam Workshop support, but a worthwhile tradeoff for not having to play the graphics card lottery or majorly gimp the graphics settings just to get it to run at a playable frames per second.

On 3/5/2022 at 10:23 PM, Jason said:

As I posted a number of pages back I've been playing it on GeForce Now, the $10/month ray tracing tier not the 3080 $100/6 months tier. I have everything maxed at 1080p and it runs great. The main tradeoff is no mods since the mods have to be through Steam Workshop (or the equivalent on whatever store you bought the game on) and the game doesn't have Steam Workshop support, but a worthwhile tradeoff for not having to play the graphics card lottery or majorly gimp the graphics settings just to get it to run at a playable frames per second.

The 3080 tier is now available monthly. I upgraded mine for now until I figure out a better local streaming set up to my bedroom. I didn’t get as good on the CP bench as my home pc, but that could be a cpu bottleneck or whatever. The 4k hdr streaming on my shield tv pro however was amazing. Crazy good iq and consistency. Tried a few games and never noticed any streaming stutters. The most convincing game stream experience I’ve had so far and I’ve tried everything since onlive.