Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

18 hours ago, Brick said:

This has to be an accident. Hopefully this can be patched out soon. 

18 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

They're going to patch in an epilepsy warning. With the effect they have going, I don't think it'll be enough. It also may not be out in time for launch. If the effect is as bad as it sounds, we're going to have a lot of people that had no idea they were mildly epileptic all of the sudden going into seizures. That's cool.

They are also patching the game, it was in the pr release they did yesterday. They immediately added a warning and set devs to work on an update. 

The people on Era who are literally claiming they did this on purpose are being absurd. There logic is “they hurt trans people so this must be on purpose. And you can’t have a civil discussion on how anger is clouding their judgement, because any dissent is a bannable offence. The place is currently seeing an exodus, with a bunch going back to GAF, where they can talk without being attacked. But that place is so bad I can’t even imagine going back. What a cesspool.

On the other hand, that a literal strobe machine that can CLEARLY cause seizures was ever considered for the game, let alone actually added, is incomprehensibly stupid to the highest degree. Like what kind of shit do you have to be smoking for this to seem like a good idea?

1 minute ago, Xbob42 said:

On the other hand, that a literal strobe machine that can CLEARLY cause seizures was ever considered for the game, let alone actually added, is incomprehensibly stupid to the highest degree. Like what kind of shit do you have to be smoking for this to seem like a good idea?

They were trying to one-up OG pokemon :santasun: 

12 hours ago, johnny said:

This guy can fuck right off

The strength women have to work in this toxic ass industry is amazing 

Oh ya, he is definitely scum. 

That said, she admitted she did nothing but the main quest and eushed through it. She said she didn’t look at crafting, shopping, weapons upgrades, driving challenges, or side quests. Out of her own mouth. And I certainly don’t think a reviewer needs to 100% a game, that would be absurd, but they should absolutely interact with all parts of the game a little bit.

I’ve already heard about instances where doing a side quest changed the way the story happened (they met someone in a side quest who helped them later in a main quest mission). Whereas she said “I didn’t do a single side quest because they seemed superfluous and unnecessary”. Not her exact words, I'm quoting off the top of my head, from a video where she spoke with Lucy James and some other guy.  Her score may be fair, but I think her methodology as very flawed. 

That said, the vitriol she got is disgusting, and we really need to stronger laws to lay charges on people who threaten others online. Taking the time to write a threat to someone online should be a fucking year in prison. The internet would become far more polite.

30 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

They are also patching the game, it was in the pr release they did yesterday. They immediately added a warning and set devs to work on an update. 

The people on Era who are literally claiming they did this on purpose are being absurd. There logic is “they hurt trans people so this must be on purpose. And you can’t have a civil discussion on how anger is clouding their judgement, because any dissent is a bannable offence. The place is currently seeing an exodus, with a bunch going back to GAF, where they can talk without being attacked. But that place is so bad I can’t even imagine going back. What a cesspool.

Is this going to be the new 'From Software literally fucking hates disabled people' over there now?

• Shocked 1

27 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

It seems stupid, but I think shitting on the devs when we know how overworked they are, and during a pandemic, is unfair.

In general, I think far too often we, the gaming community, go from critiquing issues in a game to shitting on the people who created it.

And to be clear, I'm not saying this just because I love CDPR's games. I also said the same for 343 with Halo Infinite and I'm generally very disappointed in 343's Halo games! :p 

31 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh ya, he is definitely scum. 

That said, she admitted she did nothing but the main quest and eushed through it. She said she didn’t look at crafting, shopping, weapons upgrades, driving challenges, or side quests. Out of her own mouth. And I certainly don’t think a reviewer needs to 100% a game, that would be absurd, but they should absolutely interact with all parts of the game a little bit.

I’ve already heard about instances where doing a side quest changed the way the story happened (they met someone in a side quest who helped them later in a main quest mission). Whereas she said “I didn’t do a single side quest because they seemed superfluous and unnecessary”. Not her exact words, I'm quoting off the top of my head, from a video where she spoke with Lucy James and some other guy.  Her score may be fair, but I think her methodology as very flawed. 

That said, the vitriol she got is disgusting, and we really need to stronger laws to lay charges on people who threaten others online. Taking the time to write a threat to someone online should be a fucking year in prison. The internet would become far more polite.

Ridiculous. I’ve seen other male reviewers say they basically mainlined the game because of the time crunch to get the review out since CDPR sent out codes so late. That’s not on her for not getting to side quests. I’ve also heard from other people that things that happen in side quests DONT impact the main quest and can feel weird since you have a relationship with somebody because of the side quests and then in the main quest it’s like that shit never happened. She gave it a higher score than other people but she’s the one being attacked. 

6 minutes ago, legend said:

It seems stupid, but I think shitting on the devs when we know how overworked they are, and during a pandemic, is unfair.

In general, I think far too often we, the gaming community, go from critiquing issues in a game to shitting on the people who created it.

And to be clear, I'm not saying this just because I love CDPR's games. I also said the same for 343 with Halo Infinite and I'm generally very disappointed in 343's Halo games! :p 

Every complaint about the game is not the fault of the developers. This is all on management over at CDPR and they can take all the shit. They're the ones that fucked up planning of this game so badly that their employees got stuck working crazy hours while also trying to gas light the press into believing those same over-worked employees were happy to not see their families and sleep in the office.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, legend said:

I dunno man. No matter how overworked I've ever been, I never put hairspray in a toaster or nailed my thumb into a board or whatever. No one from concept to QA ever once said "oi, bruv (Poles say bruv right?), what's wiff dis strobe light machine? Yous boys on the mollywacker again?" Usually with rushed games you get bad level design, not murder machines.

1 minute ago, johnny said:

Ridiculous. I’ve seen other male reviewers say they basically mainlined the game because of the time crunch to get the review out since CDPR sent out codes so late. That’s not on her for not getting to side quests. I’ve also heard from other people that things that happen in side quests DONT impact the main quest and can feel weird since you have a relationship with somebody because of the side quests and then in the main quest it’s like that shit never happened. She gave it a higher score than other people but she’s the one being attacked. 

Nobody forced them to have a review out Monday. That 5 days was self imposed. Again, it would be better to do a bit of everything, thats what reviewers are supposed to do. Nobody expected her to spend hours doing things she didn’t want to, but she absolutely should have engaged them.

also, male reviewers are getting the same shit. Jeff Grubb got the same treatment. Of course the abuse is wrong, thats not arguable. That doesn’t mean civil conversation about her review methods can’t be had, as you seem to be saying. Critics aren’t immune to criticism of their own work. 

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I dunno man. No matter how overworked I've ever been, I never put hairspray in a toaster or nailed my thumb into a board or whatever. No one from concept to QA ever once said "oi, bruv (Poles say bruv right?), what's wiff dis strobe light machine? Yous boys on the mollywacker again?" Usually with rushed games you get bad level design, not murder machines.

Who says they didn't say that it needed to be fixed? Who says the person who initially implemented it didn't even realize it after seeing it, but I didn't have time to fix it? These things get lost when you're trying to juggle too many balls. I can say this having worked on larger projects that still aren't even close to the complexity of all of Cyberpunk :p 

12 hours ago, Moa said:

I'm mostly talking about in the AAAA tier budget/hype sector. A ton of nut blowing games have come out in the last few years, it just seems like the largest and most ambitious projects are repeatedly falling short of expectations.

I think with the exception of BotW those games didn't quite reach the level of anticipation as the ones I mentioned, although I don't own a PS4 so wasn't following those games super closely prior to release. God of War definitely blew people away, but from my recollection a lot of people were surprised at how good it ended up being.

Ummm, GoW and Spider-Man were huge releases which sold millions their first week. Nobody expected the 10’s GoW got, but its release had huge hype. Spider-Man was the fastest selling Sony game of all time up to this year.

1 minute ago, legend said:

Who says they didn't say that? Who says the person who initially implemented it didn't even realize it after seeing it, but I didn't have time to fix it? These things get lost when you're trying to juggle too many balls. I can say this having worked on larger projects that still aren't even close to the complexity of all of Cyberpunk :p 

Look, for the 8 trillion or whatever bugs, sure, I get it.

But I draw the excuse/rushed/poor management line at a fucking seizure machine.

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Nobody forced them to have a review out Monday. That 5 days was self imposed. Again, it would be better to do a bit of everything, thats what reviewers are supposed to do. Nobody expected her to spend hours doing things she didn’t want to, but she absolutely should have engaged them.

also, male reviewers are getting the same shit. Jeff Grubb got the same treatment. Of course the abuse is wrong, thats not arguable. That doesn’t mean civil conversation about her review methods can’t be had, as you seem to be saying. Critics aren’t immune to criticism of their own work. 

But she's SAYING what she didn't do. It's not like she gave her score and lied about what she did. I don't understand what the issue is really. Well obviously the problem is she's a woman, but I dont understand an issue with it that isn't sexist. 

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Look, for the 8 trillion or whatever bugs, sure, I get it.

But I draw the excuse/rushed/poor management line at a fucking seizure machine.

I agree that higher up management rushing it out was a problem. But I think you're deeply mistaken about how easily these things slip in development when you don't actually have the time you need. You very often do something to simply unblock other things with a filed issue to fix it later, but it never gets to later because the number of issues keep piling up.

The more I read about the content in the game the more inclined I am to just skip it. 

For one, there's the representation issue. Trans representation is more than just depiction. It's positive representation and inclusion. What the game does is either overtly sexualize trans people or stick to the binary in how they're addressed. Mostly it's the overt sexualization of it that bugs me the most. CDPR clearly doesn't get it. 

Secondly, the game kindof has that same thing RDR2 had in that it just seems too big. I'm sure younger people are more eager to spend time on it the way the devs want them to, but for me, it seems that I'm just not the market. I don't wan to dump 10 hours into this thing just to get to the opening credits. That's part of the reason RDR2 is collecting dust on my shelf and I've instead been playing Star Wars and Crash fucking Bandicoot. 

And the seizure thing is fucked. That should straight up be removed. 

5 minutes ago, johnny said:

But she's SAYING what she didn't do. It's not like she gave her score and lied about what she did. I don't understand what the issue is really. 

No one except people with stock in the company should ultimately care. Reviews are meant to be tools for consumers, but it's not like our experience of the game will be broken because someone gave it a mediocre score.

On this end the rage gamers get about low scores is completely silly.

That said, it does indicate it isn't really a useful review if you skip so much. I suspect the author was also under pressure to get a review, with a score, out the door, and didn't have much choice in the matter. So it's not really on her that she had to make these decisions. But it does make the review worse and the whole game industry (both the corporate game dev managers, and review site managers) really need to change how this shit is done because it's all going badly :p 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

But she's SAYING what she didn't do. It's not like she gave her score and lied about what she did. I don't understand what the issue is really. 

Oh, I agree, she was honest about it. But she seems to not like rpg mechanics, and not engaging with them in the biggest rpg of the year does leave a bit to be desired in what should be an in depth review. 

1 minute ago, legend said:

No one except people with stock in the company should ultimately care. Reviews are meant to be tools for consumers, but it's not like our experience of the game will be broken because someone gave it a mediocre score.

That said, it does indicate it isn't really a useful review if you skip so much. I suspect the author was also under pressure to get a review, with a score, out the door, and didn't have much choice in the matter. So it's not really on her that she had to make these decisions. But it does make the review worse and the whole game industry (both the corporate game dev managers, and review site managers) really need to change how this shit is done because it's all going badly :p 

I think depending on the review, it can still be useful. Not everybody plays side quests. Since RDR2 keeps coming up, I didn't bother doing any side quests in that game because the game sucked ass. In Miles Morales I didn't do a single side quest until after I finished the story and I loved it. There are people that just want to mainline games that are even just big open world games. And from what I've read, the main story isn't really meant to be delayed for too long. 

5 minutes ago, CayceG said:

The more I read about the content in the game the more inclined I am to just skip it. 

It’s being patched. Game isn’t even officially released yet. As soon as they heard, the put out that a warning would be added and it would be patched. It was accidental. Mistakes happens, especially in a crunch during a pandemic. 

4 minutes ago, legend said:

Said much better than I could.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atom631 said:

so if I understand what you're saying - a trans man may have  (or want ) a female voice and still be referred to as her? 

If so, I had no idea this was a thing tbh. I always assumed a trans man would want to be called a man. 

Some might... some don't. Again, the Polygon article and the Reset era post explain their POV pretty clearly. 

1 minute ago, johnny said:

I think depending on the review, it can still be useful. Not everybody plays side quests. Since RDR2 keeps coming up, I didn't bother doing any side quests in that game because the game sucked ass. In Miles Morales I didn't do a single side quest until after I finished the story and I loved it. There are people that just want to mainline games that are even just big open world games. And from what I've read, the main story isn't really meant to be delayed for too long. 

Yes, but you aren’t a professional reviewer. Again, nobody expected her to sink hours into crafting, weapons mods, and side quests, but she should have done a few of each. She, by her own admission, did not. 

18 minutes ago, johnny said:

I would say it's minimally useful. A much better review considers everything in it and gives feedback on it all such that any kind of player can make informed decisions from it. 

14 minutes ago, CayceG said:

For one, there's the representation issue. Trans representation is more than just depiction. It's positive representation and inclusion. What the game does is either overtly sexualize trans people or stick to the binary in how they're addressed. Mostly it's the overt sexualization of it that bugs me the most. CDPR clearly doesn't get it. 

Secondly, the game kindof has that same thing RDR2 had in that it just seems too big. I'm sure younger people are more eager to spend time on it the way the devs want them to, but for me, it seems that I'm just not the market. I don't wan to dump 10 hours into this thing just to get to the opening credits. That's part of the reason RDR2 is collecting dust on my shelf and I've instead been playing Star Wars and Crash fucking Bandicoot. 

I can't play this game until they completely get rid of the literal seizure-inducer. While I'll be fine, I don't know if my kids will be and they like to sit and watch every game I play. That puts the game off limits for the time being. That's aside from my limited time and unwillingness to deal with a buggy game. That all said, I don't know if I'd even have the time to play this if it really is a big old 200hr game.

11 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh, I agree, she was honest about it. But she seems to not like rpg mechanics, and not engaging with them in the biggest rpg of the year does leave a bit to be desired in what should be an in depth review. 

Blame CDRP. The game is unfinished and they gave it to reviewers too close to release. Views on game reviews drop after a game is released, so the market has dictated that every reviewer rush to get these reviews out between the tiny window between the embargo and release date.

21 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Transphobia here on the boards? I've personally known a couple of trans people in real life but only one before and after their transistion. Definitely took some getting used to. 

I'm not sure "transphobia" is the correct term but it was harassment. I won't say who the user is because people like him. But he kept asking inappropriate questions to Kate and I dunno, seemed like the mods always looked the other way.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I'm not sure "transphobia" is the correct term but it was harassment. I won't say who the user is because people like him. But he kept asking inappropriate questions to Kate and I dunno, seemed like the mods always looked the other way.

What I'm hearing is this was all @Kal-El814's fault. Way to drop the ball, Kal.

7 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Blame CDRP. The game is unfinished and they gave it to reviewers too close to release. Views on game reviews drop after a game is released, so the market has dictated that every reviewer rush to get these reviews out between the tiny window between the embargo and release date.

But my opinion on that would be that shit rolls downhill in every profession and unfortunately, despite this ultimately being a situation created by CDPR (or insert other huge dev who gives reviewers three days to complete their latest stupid-ass epic), it's on the respective reviewer that their product isn't crap. A fully scored review that is later revealed to have been written without properly engaging with major mechanics and/or even large swaths of content is crap. Call it a review-in-progress, delay it, whatever you need to do because ultimately it's your brand on the line for now. That whole 'system' is fundamentally terrible and something's going to have to give but as for right now, as far as I'm concerned that's the unfortunate reality. This is part of the reason why I said in an earlier post that I think these ultra-mega-epics are buckling under their own absurd weights and I see this as some of the collateral damage of that along with the obvious bigger negatives that you guys have been discussing. 

And just to be clear, I'm speaking generally and not just about this particular review. I didn't point out that harassing anyone over their content, especially due to their gender or whatever the hell it may be, is pathetic because it seems redundantly obvious to do so at this point. 

1 hour ago, CayceG said:

To be fair it’s only as big as you want it to be. You can certainly put 200 hours in. But I’ve read in several places that you can do the main story and a satisfying amount of side stuff and be done in 30-40 hours. 

Also to whoever said side stuff doesn’t influence the main quest line. The IGN review specifically states that he mainlined the story in about 20 hours, then went back to an old save and did about 20 hours of side stuff. When he got back to the ending he had significantly more options/changes to the end of the of game. 

1 minute ago, Mercury33 said:

To be fair it’s only as big as you want it to be. You can certainly put 200 hours in. But I’ve read in several places that you can do the main story and a satisfying amount of side stuff and be done in 30-40 hours. 

Also to whoever said side stuff doesn’t influence the main quest line. The IGN review specifically states that he mainlined the story in about 20 hours, then went back to an old save and did about 20 hours of side stuff. When he got back to the ending he had significantly more options/changes to the end of the of game. 

I played about 85hrs of Witcher 3 and that included both DLCs. I was satisfied with the amount of content I saw and did.