Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty (PC/PS5/Xbox Series) - Information Thread, update: Update 2.1 "Overview" trailer and patch notes

legend

Just now, thedarkstark said:

Yes it is, trying to make it "go away" and having the opposite effect only making it more visible to a wider view. 

Nobody is trying to make the game go away. This is all stuff people are hoping can be patched in because it just shouldn't be that bad. Also, CDPR had always been pretty great about supporting their games for years after release, so I'm sure everything everyone could ever want will be patched in at some point. That just tells me I'm better off waiting. Maybe I'll even wait until they get around to patching in VR support.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's THEIR decision... neither that Polygon article nor the Resetera post (or anyone else) called for or IS calling for the game to be boycotted or to "go away".

This is just semantics. I also never claimed they shouldn't do whatever they feel morally compelled to do.

Regardless it's going to be like when all the Boomers lit their shoes on fire because Nike had the audacity to make a Kapernick commercial, stocks soared, free marketing.

Just now, thedarkstark said:

This is just semantics.

Regardless it's going to be like when all the Boomers lit their shoes on fire because Nike had the audacity to make a Kapernick commercial, stocks soared, free marketing.

How is it semantics? Someone wrote an article critiquing an aspect of the game (in a negative way from your perspective apparently) but they never said "don't buy the game" or "You suck if you do buy it". No one is burning copies of Cyberpunk or will be the way folks were literally buying Kapernick jerseys to burn and turning him into an enemy of the people. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. TO. THE. SAME. THING.

I'm not a transperson but I can see the critques as being valid from their perspective. I can also play and enjoy the game for what it is when I get it knowing that this company probably needs to do better in certain areas. I think that's what that Polygon article was pointing out but again, it never said BOYCOT THIS GAME. If users here are planning on not buying the game based on the information in the article, that's THEIR decision and THEIR right.

Just now, skillzdadirecta said:

How is it semantics? Someone wrote an article critiquing an aspect of the game (in a negative way from your perspective apparently) but they never said "don't buy the game" or "You suck if you do buy it". No one is burning copies of Cyberpunk or will be the way folks were literally buying Kapernick jerseys to burn and turning him into an enemy of the people. NOT. EVEN. CLOSE. TO. THE. SAME. THING.

I'm not a transperson but I can see the critques as being valid from their perspective. I can also play and enjoy the game for what it is when I get it knowing that this company probably needs to do better in certain areas. I think that's what that Polygon article was pointing out but again, it never said BOYCOT THIS GAME. If users here are planning on not buying the game based on the information in the article, that's THEIR decision and THEIR right.

You're jumping to a lot of conclusions I never said that people shouldn't do what they feel morally compelled to do. I have not read the resetera article, I'll read it after I've played the game and have formed my own opinions, it's easier to be more objective that way. If you start filling your head with all these preconceived notions of what things are/aren't then you get a lot of confirmation bias. 

My biggest issue is that most people without ever having played the game have come to the conclusion that CDPR has done things with malicious intent. 

9 minutes ago, Moa said:

Everything is "just semantics" when you're wrong.

You haven't said a word until now, drop some knowledge on us Einstein. 

Easy to be "right" when you don't form your own opinions you just regurgitate shit that somebody only moderately more intelligent has prepared for you. 

34 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

It's going to do the opposite, it's going to draw more attention to the game and in turn drive up sales. The Streisand effect. 

I think you nailed it but I'm going to try and refrain from further comment until I've actually played the game and can form my own opinion, not just blindly follow the word of some Polygon hack. 

It might result in more sales, but I think the continued polarization that goes on in social media is a net loss and that's what I care about more.

26 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The comparison to CoD isn't about how those games are mostly crappy. It's about how they're churned out, one after the other, and this game has been in development for years. I don't think CDPR would be getting any of the grief they're getting if not for their thin veneer of inclusivity. There's nothing that irks people more than companies/people being fake.

So what if they're churned out quickly? They're still huge projects with tons of people from development, art, and marketing working on them and they serve a huge audiences. That seems like the relevant quantity and they shouldn't be looked down at or knocked as a low bar. And the fact that their total content is smaller, if anything, should have made it easier for them to lead the way, versus a huge game that already has a billion variables to manage.

I think it's assuming the worst to say it was a thin veneer of inclusivity. I think there is a reasonable chance the artists and world builders did want to reflect a world where society went beyond traditional notions of sex and gender. To be frank, it was surprising that tying to voice would cause the concerns it did. But now reading reactions, I get it, so sure they can do better. We don't have to assume bad or insincere intent to criticize and suggest ways to make it better.

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

You're jumping to a lot of conclusions I never said that people shouldn't do what they feel morally compelled to do. I have not read the resetera article, I'll read it after I've played the game and have formed my own opinions, it's easier to be more objective that way. If you start filling your head with all these preconceived notions of what things are/aren't then you get a lot of confirmation bias. 

My biggest issue is that most people without ever having played the game have come to the conclusion that CDPR has done things with malicious intent. 

What the hell are you talking about? What conclusion have I jumped to exactly? and what do you need to inform yourself about regarding the game? The stuff the artcles comment on is ALREADY OUT THERE. They are talking about how the game was MARKETED. I don't think either article talks about the game's content. and as far as CDPR's intent, read the RESETERA post and THEN make up your "objective mind". They lay out a compelling case there.

7 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Easy to be "right" when you don't form your own opinions you just regurgitate shit that somebody only moderately more intelligent has prepared for you. 

9 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

You're jumping to a lot of conclusions

4 minutes ago, legend said:

It might result in more sales, but I think the continued polarization that goes on in social media is a net loss and that's what I care about more.

So what if they're churned out quickly? They're still huge projects with tons of people from development, art, and marketing working on them and they serve a huge audiences. That seems like the relevant quantity and they shouldn't be looked down at or knocked as a low bar. And the fact that their total content is smaller, if anything, should have made it easier for them to lead the way, versus a huge game that already has a billion variables to manage.

I think it's assuming the worst to say it was a thin veneer of inclusivity. I think there is a reasonable chance the artists and world builders did want to reflect a world where society went beyond traditional notions of sex and gender. To be frank, it was surprising that tying to voice would cause the concerns it did. But now reading reactions, I get it, so sure they can do better. We don't have to assume bad or insincere intent to criticize and suggest ways to make it better.

CDPR is not some tiny company here. They're a billion dollar publisher/developer with their own storefront. It's more than just this one thing, though. It's more about how over the last year or two, they've been prodded about the game's inclusivity and just come up flat while using a trans character at the forefront of a lot of their marketing.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What the hell are you talking about? What conclusion have I jumped to exactly? and what do you need to inform yourself about regarding the game? The stuff the artcles comment on is ALREADY OUT THERE. They are talking about how the game was MARKETED. I don't think either article talks about the game's content. and as far as CDPR's intent, read the RESETERA post and THEN make up your "objective mind". They lay out a compelling case there.

Why are you getting so heated? 

I'm not going to do that. I'm going ENJOY THE GAME and then I'll read the article and we can discuss it. If I'm wrong I'll acknowledge that and point to things I think they could have done better, and who knows by then they may have even patched out some of these unforgivable things. 

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

CDPR is not some tiny company here. They're a billion dollar publisher/developer with their own storefront. It's more than just this one thing, though. It's more about how over the last year or two, they've been prodded about the game's inclusivity and just come up flat while using a trans character at the forefront of a lot of their marketing.

I know they're a big company too. I'm saying "even CoD does better" isn't the knock people seem to think it is.

I'll say this and leave it here... as i said earlier I am NOT a transperson so what they may find offensive may not resonate with me the same way so saying "I'll see for myself when i play the game" seems deliberately dismissive. Members of that community have apparently been calling CDPR out for their marketing for awhile now and the RESET ERA timelime lays out a pretty compelling timeline. Cis-folks might NOT see what the big deal is... it's not up to them. But if members of a community that I'm not a part of find something offensive to THEM who am I to judge the validity of their concerns?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'll say this and leave it here... as i said earlier I am NOT a transperson so what they may find offensive may not resonate with me the same way so saying "I'll see for myself when i play the game" seems deliberately dismissive. Members of that community have apparently been calling CDPR out for their marketing for awhile now and the RESET ERA timelime lays out a pretty compelling timeline. Cis-folks might NOT see what the big deal is... it's not up to them. But if members of a community that I'm not a part of find something offensive to THEM who am I to judge the validity of their concerns?

Why do you assume that I'm dismissing them? I fully understand this, but I'd like to go into blindly so I can form my own opinions and then compare them to a different persons perspective so I can see how our views differ. Objectivity gives diverging opinions more weight. 

4 minutes ago, thedarkstark said:

Why do you assume that I'm dismissing them?

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

Yes, sjw want representation in video games but only if it paints underrepresented groups in the kindest possible light.

22 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

They're the buzzfeed of "gaming journalism"

6 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

No, people are still triggered that they let you customize your genitals. If you skim the GS review or the multitude of articles from polygon they all complain about lack of representation and/or cultural stereotyping/appropriation.

So... if I misunderstood where you were coming from, my bad :|

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So... if I misunderstood where you were coming from, my bad :|

here's a snippet from the GS review

"There's so much to cover that I can't possibly touch on everything, but my experience is that there are aspects of the game that feel lost in translation, invoking cultures that aren't adequately explored or contextualized. Characters in one side quest use the word "ofrenda" as if it means "funeral" when it's actually a particular kind of altar primarily for Day of the Dead--it's unclear to me if this is a translation issue or an overall misunderstanding of Mexican customs, since you do put together an altar during the event that's being called "the ofrenda." As another example, you can go to a clothing store in Japantown and buy "yukata" that are just wrap shirts bearing only the slightest resemblance to real yukata. It's not that Cyberpunk always gets everything wrong in its incorporation of a variety of cultures and backgrounds but that the world is so big and unruly that I never knew what I would find around any corner or if I'd understand what the intent behind it was"

White girl btw. Like I said SJW drivel and that's how most of the articles I've ever read from Polygon come across also, it's a rag and I won't apologize for that.

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

Yes it is, trying to make it "go away" and having the opposite effect only making it more visible to a wider audience who may have otherwise never known of its existence.

The Streisand Effect is when someone tries to remove something from the internet but accidentally makes it more popular/widespread. No one is trying to erase the game so that people don't know it exists, they are saying the company is problematic and are boycotting. Boycotting is the correct word. 

1 hour ago, thedarkstark said:

here's a snippet from the GS review

"There's so much to cover that I can't possibly touch on everything, but my experience is that there are aspects of the game that feel lost in translation, invoking cultures that aren't adequately explored or contextualized. Characters in one side quest use the word "ofrenda" as if it means "funeral" when it's actually a particular kind of altar primarily for Day of the Dead--it's unclear to me if this is a translation issue or an overall misunderstanding of Mexican customs, since you do put together an altar during the event that's being called "the ofrenda." As another example, you can go to a clothing store in Japantown and buy "yukata" that are just wrap shirts bearing only the slightest resemblance to real yukata. It's not that Cyberpunk always gets everything wrong in its incorporation of a variety of cultures and backgrounds but that the world is so big and unruly that I never knew what I would find around any corner or if I'd understand what the intent behind it was"

White girl btw. Like I said SJW drivel and that's how most of the articles I've ever read from Polygon come across also, it's a rag and I won't apologize for that.

Ummm what does that Gamespot review have to do with the Polygon Article or The ResetEra posts both of which were written by Transpeople? Nice attempt at moving the goal posts. 

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

This stupid ass myth needs to die.

Imma quote myself here for recent history.

Superhero movies have been big business lately, and it was not lost on people that for a good chunk of time, the Marvel Cinematic Universe was a pretty white place. When Black Panther came out, the villain ended up being black. Moreover, most of his motivation was intrinsically tied to him being black. The main lament about Killmonger wasn't that MCU villains shouldn't be black because it makes black people look bad, it's that he was so good and interesting he should have been kept around for more movies.

Black people don't have a hive mind, no doubt there are people out there who don't like Killmonger or have other issues with Black Panther broadly or in his movie specifically. But it turns out that people who are asking for more representation are generally okay with their community being represented in a way that's not the platonic ideal provided that it's done with care.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

This stupid ass myth needs to die.

I'm going to quote you because now it seems trendy.

The kind of representation people are looking for is any type that isn't some lazy or sexist or racist or whatever stereotype. I'm Puerto Rican. I'd like to see more representation for Hispanics or Latinx folks in general. However, just giving me another drug dealer or hood rat or Latin lovers or maid isn't the representation I'd like to see. It doesn't even have to be good representation. Just make it something new and interesting. It could be a calculating serial killer, a hacker taking down a government, a sniper giving the good guys hell, or, I don't know, any normal person.

I'm a straight, married man, with a whole bunch of young kids driving me a little crazy during this year of isolation. I won't pretend to know what trans folks are feeling here, but I'm also sure they'd like representation that isn't just another sexy trap.