E3 Hype Check

crispy4000

18 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

So if MS came out and announced that there holiday tentpole releases for 2019 was Tyranny 2 and for 2020 was Hellblade 2, you wouldn't be disappointed?

Holiday 2019 will be Gears 5 and everything that I’m seeing is that it’s looking pretty good. Holiday 2020 will be Halo Infinite in probably a cross gen launch with the Scarlett. Though I will admit 343 has a lot of pressure to nail this Halo and they haven’t shown they can recapture the Bungie magic.

I don't get how people are excited for FF7 remake. The episodic nature means the game really won't be out for fucking years to come, and while I prefer real time combat, the remake's combat does not look better than the old turned based combat. This game is turning out like some monkey's paw bs.

3 hours ago, mikechorney said:

So if MS came out and announced that there holiday tentpole releases for 2019 was Tyranny 2 and for 2020 was Hellblade 2, you wouldn't be disappointed?

In addition to Microsoft’s other slated lineup no.  But I’m sure a lot of people would look forward to those games in any case.  I’d love an Enslaved sequel personally.  Obsidian has a lot more history to pull from than Tyranny. 

You’re downplaying their pedigree IMO.  I trust them more than most of Microsoft’s internal studios right now to produce something exciting. They're easily at the level that Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch were when they were bought.  Perhaps surpassing them in some ways by that point.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I don't get how people are excited for FF7 remake. The episodic nature means the game really won't be out for fucking years to come, and while I prefer real time combat, the remake's combat does not look better than the old turned based combat. This game is turning out like some monkey's paw bs.

I'm interested for the same reasons as RE2.  It looks like a re-imaging, one I'd expect to veer off the beaten path somewhat.

FF7's combat was kind of bloated to be honest.  Limit breaks were cool, but the menus got to be a mess by the end of the game with all the materia abilities.  It was also the start of long, drawn out spells and summons.  I much preferred FF6's snappy feel, and its own ideas like Blitz and SwdTech.  The characters felt more unique in battle.

22 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm interested for the same reasons as RE2.  It looks like a re-imaging, one I'd expect to veer off the beaten path somewhat.

FF7's combat was kind of bloated to be honest.  Limit breaks were cool, but the menus got to be a mess by the end of the game with all the materia abilities.  It was also the start of long, drawn out spells and summons.  I much preferred FF6's snappy feel, and its own ideas like Blitz and SwdTech.  The characters felt more unique in battle.

I couldn't tell you how good FF7's combat was, but I had notissues with it, but the remake's looks lame. Like FF15 lame. And RE2 is no monkey's paw. Sure, it isn't a perfect remake, but what is there is pretty good and it is a full fucking game.  

16 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I couldn't tell you how good FF7's combat was, but I had not issues with it, but the remakes like lame. Like FF15 lame. And RE2 is no monkey's paw. Sure, it isn't a perfect remake, but what is there is pretty good and it is a full fucking game.  

Like I said, I had issues with 7's combat coming off 6.  Since it felt like a bit of a regression that first time, I have no attachment to it as it was.  Combat should be revamped in a remake like this.  Whether that means more turn based or less, I really don't care.  Just don't repeat the same mistakes.

I'm reserving more judgement on its length, episodic nature, etc, until we hear more concrete details about the direction they're going.  I don't expect to get those details until E3.

I don’t know what to think of the remake. I have a feeling it’ll be competent but unremarkable, so the internet will burn it to the ground. 

I think 7’s original combat system and materia system is excellent. People don’t remember how divisive it was at the time though. I’m not opposed to a real time system... if they made it like 12’s it would be incredible. 

14 hours ago, mikechorney said:

Hellblade really does not need a sequel, so in that respect it would be weird. But I'd be super fucking hyped for an MS backed Tyranny 2!

If MS doesn't fuck with Obsidian's goals and just gets them more resources, I'd be very excited for anything they did. I already typically am.

1 hour ago, legend said:

Hellblade really does not need a sequel, so in that respect it would be weird. But I'd be super fucking hyped for an MS backed Tyranny 2!

If MS doesn't fuck with Obsidian's goals and just gets them more resources, I'd be very excited for anything they did. I already typically am.

I suspect that's what they do --- they're looking for content to add to GamePass, as opposed to standout tentpole games that get people excited at e3.

26 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

This Benji-Sales guy has been on fire lately with the gentle nudges, especially for NPDs, etc.

I'm not even sure how I came about following him, and I'm not totally sure how much of an insider he is. I think he was on ResetEra before but left due to drama.  

I enjoy his tweets though, seems to just really enjoy the industry and the business of it, not some foolish fan boy just spewing out nonsense.

23 hours ago, Bacon said:

The original was a defining gaming moment for me and I can't muster up an ounce of excitement for this either somehow.

The episodic thing especially just makes me tune out. I just read 'incomplete game'.

:badass:

I really want Xbox to have a great E3. I really do. The last two exclusives I bought in the last year were Horizon 4 and Crackdown 3. One great game and one super meh game. As it stands now, I am not even cautiously optimistic. That's great that they have been buying up studios I guess, but MS is notorious for shutting studios down, sometimes before they even produce a product. 

Sony is out, don't think they have much to show. I'm actually okay with this, they have had a great couple of years. Gives me time to finish some of my massive backlog. 

I really hope Nintendo kills it too. They have already shown they have a lot of great things coming. Mario Maker 2 looks great, and I am hoping for release dates for Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 3 and a Prime Trilogy remaster. Probably most excited for whatever Directs they have during E3. 

FF7 is one my favorite games of all time. I have finished it many times. They made the remake episodic and changed the combat. Killed any interest I had in it, if it even comes out. 

I will watch E3 as I always do, but not expecting much. 

Hyped:

-Microsoft: I don't game on the Xbox, but now that they are releasing more stuff on Steam they have my attention. I'm hoping to see Sea of Thieves on Steam.
-PC Gaming Show: They had a solid amount of really interesting indies last year. I'm very interested to see what they have this year.
-Ubisoft: I'm hoping for Watch Dogs 3
-Nintendo: ANIMAL CROSSING
-Baldur's Gate 3: not sure which conf this will be revealed at, but im very hyped.

Mildly Interested:
-Bethesda: They aren't talking about TES or Starfield this year. I'm somewhat interested in the new Doom and Wolfenstein.
-Devolver: the devolver conferance is really more for the show than the games.
-Square Enix: Avengers game?

I haven’t been hyped for an e3 since G4 stopped being a thing. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and watch all the conferences. But there was just something about a TV station running 24/7 video game coverage for 3 days that gave it this epic feel. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

I haven’t been hyped for an e3 since G4 stopped being a thing. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and watch all the conferences. But there was just something about a TV station running 24/7 video game coverage for 3 days that gave it this epic feel. 

I miss X-play and Attack of the Show so much!

I'm interested in Nintendo's Direct and...that's about it?  Video game media coverage is so readily available now that I don't really feel the excitement that E3 used to bring anymore because, well..we get new information like every day.  Things are announced constantly.  I don't need impressions or game-play vids to help me make buying decisions.  Even new console/hardware announcements don't get me jazzed anymore.  It's not like they could say something that's gonna make me not buy the next PSBoxSwitch or whatever.  There's no "console war" anymore; at least not like it was.  The state of video game media means we have 24/7 coverage of the industry.  Remove "..at E3" from any announcement, impression, game-play, or interview article over the next month and what's the difference?

I mean, I'll read some articles that come out of the show.  And I'm sure there will be some stuff announced that I'll be interested in.  But I just don't feel the need to see it as it's happening anymore.  It's no longer "appointment Internet" for me.