E3 Hype Check

crispy4000

How is everyone feeling going into the show this year?

... I’m kind of lukewarm for the first time since I’ve been following the show.  Not just because Sony’s out, but because there’s not really a must see game for me this year beyond FF7R, maybe Astral Chain and Respawn’s Star Wars.  I also can’t take much more GaaS glut anymore.

Anything you’re personally looking forward to?

Hyped

-From Software’s new game

-Switch revision

-Animal Crossing

-Splinter Cell reveal

-Fable reveal

Interested

-Star Wars

-Avengers

Skipping

-EA Let’s Play nonsense

-EGS Moneyhatting PC Gamer

37 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I pretty much only care about what Nintendo is gonna show now that Sony's out. Microsoft has nothing to offer me, I don't really care about Ubi outside of AC and no AC this year, I'm mildly interested in SE for Dying Light and Final Fantasy VII, and I couldn't care less about EA.

So I'm overall pretty :shrug:

I think we’ll see what Playground’s non-Forza game is.  That’s exciting, because of how much of an unknown it is.

But since we’re also coming to the end of this gen, and Microsoft only recently purchased some studios, I’ve got a feeling that a lot of what they show will be teaser oriented.  

It is a year we’ll get to see more Halo and Gears.  So that’s a plus.  Especially if we don’t see much else just yet.

19 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Same, but actually Nintendo has a great lineup and I really wanna see animal crossing. 

I'm really excited for what Nintendo is releasing this year. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, and Link's Awakening remake? I am hyped. I can't wait to put in another 200+ hours into AC. 

5 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I think we’ll see what Playground’s non-Forza game is.  That’s exciting, because of how much of an unknown it is.

But since we’re also coming to the end of this gen, and Microsoft only recently purchased some studios, I’ve got a feeling that a lot of what they show will be teaser oriented.  

It is a year we’ll get to see more Halo and Gears.  So that’s a plus.  Especially if we don’t see much else just yet.

Halo and Gears does nothing for me. But that's par for the course for most MS "exclusives." Ori seems neat from what I played of the first one, but I can get it on PC.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

Microsoft will be showing 14 games from its studios, and is said to have  a 2 hour conference scheduled.  I do agree most will probably be teasers, but supposedly they did snatch up some studios that were well into existing products, so we'll see.  I am excited to see Halo Infinite to see what direction they take the series.  I have a feeling it'll be quite a bit different than a traditional Halo.  

1 hour ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Halo and Gears does nothing for me. But that's par for the course for most MS "exclusives." Ori seems neat from what I played of the first one, but I can get it on PC.

Well this is why they bought up so many studios in the past few years, to have a more diverse lineup of games.  And going forward, every single Microsoft game will be on PC, they are even bringing their non PC games, like Halo MCC to PC now.  They will still be showing new games off during their conference, available both on Xbox and PC, so not sure why that would make someone less interested in watching than if it were just on Xbox?

I'm not really hyped. I just want to be surprised.

I am most anticipating Developer Digital's E3 Presentation

I might be interested in Limited Run Games Presentation.

I am interested in what games we will see again at Microsoft's E3 and if they talk about their next box.

48 minutes ago, JPDunks4 said:

Microsoft will be showing 14 games from its studios, and is said to have  a 2 hour conference scheduled.  I do agree most will probably be teasers, but supposedly they did snatch up some studios that were well into existing products, so we'll see.  I am excited to see Halo Infinite to see what direction they take the series.  I have a feeling it'll be quite a bit different than a traditional Halo.  

Well this is why they bought up so many studios in the past few years, to have a more diverse lineup of games.  And going forward, every single Microsoft game will be on PC, they are even bringing their non PC games, like Halo MCC to PC now.  They will still be showing new games off during their conference, available both on Xbox and PC, so not sure why that would make someone less interested in watching than if it were just on Xbox?

It's just how I feel, man. There's so many games out, I'm fairly picky these days.

29 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Other than Playground Games (which we’re already making Xbox exclusives) none of the studios that MS picked up we’re “top tier”. 

Which of Sony’s studios would you have classified as Top Tier before their most recent releases?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

A few of those studios had prior publishing deals, were already working on Microsoft stuff we knew about, or released games recently.  I think we’ll learn more, and maybe see more, but I’m not expecting a blowout.  I’m just hoping we see some in engine stuff at least. That’s all I’m expecting, a few cinematic teasers.  Hopefully not CG.

I guess I’m mainly skeptical that this year will be the good one.  A 2 hour conference also sounds about right with all the 3rd parties that would want to jump on board their publicity wagon.  Especially now that Sony isn’t an option.

with sony not there i wont be interested in much besides the MS and Bethesda conferences on sunday.  i guess Devolver too but them getting in bed with EGS sours that a bit.

PC show always sucks and being sponsored by EGS doesnt help that.  Anything from Ubi or SE can just be glanced over on youtube or something.  

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I pretty much only care about what Nintendo is gonna show now that Sony's out. Microsoft has nothing to offer me, I don't really care about Ubi outside of AC and no AC this year, I'm mildly interested in SE for Dying Light and Final Fantasy VII, and I couldn't care less about EA.

So I'm overall pretty :shrug:

What does SE have to do with Dying Light? I'm looking forward to FF XIV Shadowbringers expansion, VII remake and Avengers. Hopefully some cool Star Wars news. I would love to see a new Ratchet & Clank announced but that's all.

I’m pretty apathetic about Avengers going into the unveiling.  The concept lends itself to being Anthem with superheroes instead of mechs.

I’d love to be proven wrong, and to see them make something more single player oriented.  That’s the most exciting thing about the Star Wars project to me.

32 minutes ago, mikechorney said:

Feel free to get excited about the next game from the studio that brought you "We Happy Few" then.

I don't really get the point.  

Most studios start out small, with smaller scale projects.   If they were a huge studio putting out AAA content already, chances are they aren't gonna be bought by anyone.  MS or Sony would have to target smaller or mid level studios, then give them proper funding and support to help them push out more ambitious projects.

I will agree though, that MS has to prove they can support studios better and help them put out their best content and higher quality games.  At this point MS has a lot to prove because a lot of the studios they've worked with in the past on projects hasn't exactly put out many winners.

And of course you picked one of the smallest studios they acquired with the least pedigree for your example. 

1 minute ago, JPDunks4 said:

I don't really get the point.  

Most studios start out small, with smaller scale projects.   If they were a huge studio putting out AAA content already, chances are they aren't gonna be bought by anyone.  MS or Sony would have to target smaller or mid level studios, then give them proper funding and support to help them push out more ambitious projects.

And of course you picked one of the smallest studios they acquired with the least pedigree for your example. 

AAA studios have been frequently bought . Sony has bought AAA studios in the past, I am not aware of them buying "mid-level studios" that were making mediocre games.

Sony bought Naught Dog in 2001, after they had made a string ofJak and Crash Games.

Sony bought Sucker Punch in 2011 after they made Infamous 2 (and previously made Sly Cooper)

EA bought Respawn entertainment in 2017, after they had made Titanfall 2.

My point is, that none of the studios that MS bought have a stellar record of producing great games (Other than Playground Games, which were already making them as a 2nd party for MS.)  If I've missed a narrative of big publishers buying "mid-tier" studios, and turning them into super stars please give me the examples.