Final Fantasy VII Remake OT - Big Trouble in Little Midgar

SaysWho?

If the menu system doesn't grow in what skills you can issue I can understand the complaint that it lacks variety. But that doesn't seem right. It seems like some of you are thinking they're trying to do a bad Dark Souls whereas I think the more appropriate analogy is giving you something to do between menu commands. I mean you all noticed that in classic mode you don't even do the manual attacks yourself and only use the menu, right?

I found the demo to be somewhat underwhelming. Maybe bc I’ve seen the cut scenes and gameplay from this area a 100 times already. I dunno. 

it’s missing the charm of the original. The areas felt very sterile and empty. I remember the original was so atmospheric. Maybe its bc it was such a radical departure from Rpgs and being 3D. I just didn’t feel impressed with what i saw. I didn’t stop once and just look around the environment. 

as for the gameplay...it’s OK. It’s fun switching around to different characters and I can see how they are shaping the fighting mechanics to require certain characters for situations. They didn’t have enough skills though for me to decide if I actually like it. As it was presented, it felt very button-mashey. I’m hoping it’s deeper as more characters are introduced and more skills are opened. 

I’m still playing it, but my hype has definitely lessened. 

I didn't mash square much? Not that you're not going to use that button a lot, but sometimes it was better to switch characters so they could stun an enemy, for example, since simply pressing square worth my current one wouldn't do anything. And they implement the menu combat pretty well with the action combat. 

I didn't even get good at parrying, but my friend said that's essential to maximizing ATB.

27 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are those calling it not button mashy playing it right or are they playing it wrong? :thinking:

There’s probably no right or wrong way to issue the attacks (like FFXV), but mashing one button will clearly result in Cloud taking more damage than necessary.

I get the impression that the general melee

is lite in the way of required button dexterity for a reason.  Managing a third party member Is likely going to be demanding enough.

• Guillotine 1

I mean, button mashing has no downsides. Like there aren't timed presses or anything. You just keep pressing square until you press something else. It is still button mashy. I kinda feel like you don't actually know what button mashing is if you don't think FF7 has a lot of button mashing. Like you can press square the 3 or 4 times it takes for the chain to repeat, or you can just press it 80 times a second and achieve the same results. I mean, KH had you heavily mash as well. KH is no different than FF7 in terms of primary attack. 

39 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, button mashing has no downsides. Like there aren't timed presses or anything. You just keep pressing square until you press something else. It is still button mashy. I kinda feel like you don't actually know what button mashing is if you don't think FF7 has a lot of button mashing. Like you can press square the 3 or 4 times it takes for the chain to repeat, or you can just press it 80 times a second and achieve the same results. I mean, KH had you heavily mash as well. KH is no different than FF7 in terms of primary attack. 

Again this feels like a criticism that could be leveled against most action games.  Most don’t require timed button presses to continue your primary attack combo.  I’m not convinced that’s a bad thing.  

The downside to wailing mindlessly in FF7R?  Not using the ATB meter efficiently.  Not being ready to block heavy hitting attacks.  Not changing stances efficiently.  The context of how the rest of the battle system works matters.  So will the difficulty.

Square’s already developing a more mash-centric remake than this: Trial of Mana.  That could be plenty of fun regardless.  The original certainly was.

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Again this feels like a criticism that could be leveled against most action games.  Most don’t require timed button pressed to continue a basic attack combo.

Yeah, but it isn't fun here unlike kingdom hearts or some other game. 

17 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

The downside to wailing mindlessly in FF7R?  Not using the ATB meter efficiently.  Not being ready to block heavy hitting attacks.  Not changing stances efficiently.  The context of how the rest of the battle system works matters.

Yeah, that is not true at all. You can still mash and do all those things. I can still spam square and slide my finger down to X, or Block as my finger rests on R1. I mean, if couldn't mash and press other buttons, how in the world would I play Dark Souls? That game is loads of mashing R1 constant dodging, for me anyways, and I am quite good at those games. Mashing in no way prevents you from doing other actions. The Tales of series has done this forever as well. You mash your basic attack, and when the basic combo chain is over you combo that into sword artes. 

17 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yeah, but it isn't fun here unlike kingdom hearts or some other game. 

Yeah, that is not true at all. You can still mash and do all those things. I can still spam square and slide my finger down to X, or Block as my finger rests on R1. I mean, if couldn't mash and press other buttons, how in the world would I play Dark Souls? That game is loads of mashing R1 constant dodging, for me anyways, and I am quite good at those games. Mashing in no way prevents you from doing other actions. The Tales of series has done this forever as well. You mash your basic attack, and when the basic combo chain is over you combo that into sword artes. 

I’d say mashing in FF7 frequently prevents you from doing things.  There’s a lot of cool down on attacks before you can enter a block or stance change.  It makes it difficult to react on the fly.  Even leaving a stance has a lengthy cool down period.  You can enter an atb command instantly, but that’s about it.

Maybe that’s what you, and others, actually don’t like.

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I do appreciate how it differs from both Kingdom Hearts and FFXV.  Especially for a Final Fantasy game, XV felt like a step back from the options, strategy, and abilities you get with turned based combat.

I’m totally cool with the FFVII remake taking a step away from the A.D.D. combat (action air-dodge ;) ) for something a little more measured and less out of DBZ like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cuH-6e2rK5U

1 hour ago, Duderino said:

Maybe I’m in the minority, but I do appreciate how it differs from both Kingdom Hearts and FFXV.  Especially for a Final Fantasy game, XV felt like a step back from the options, strategy, and abilities you get with turned based combat.

I’m totally cool with the FFVII remake taking a step away from the A.D.D. combat (action air-dodge ;) ) for something a little more measured and less out of DBZ like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cuH-6e2rK5U

A.D.D. = Action Air Dodge? Hmm...

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Great game except the end where it's incomprehensible

Sounds like game of the century!

Good games can have shit endings?

I don't know what I expect personally, since I haven't read the spoilers.  But most reviewers are saying they're still in for the next game, even in spite of the final chapter if they took exception.

Game Information

Game Title: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Apr 10, 2020)

Developer: Square Enix

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 88 average - 93% recommended

Critic Reviews

Areajugones - Spanish - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake follow the masterpiece that was the oldest game. Time passes by the works of art that last.

Cultured Vultures - 10 / 10

Better than players could have ever hoped for, Final Fantasy VII Remake strikes a fantastic, resonant chord that will leave long time fans and newbies alike wholly satisfied.

DASHGAMER.com - 10 / 10

With every square inch of its redesign, FF7R’s remaster takes what we know and love about its initial entry and overhauls its experience to fit the mold of the gamer of today. It’s  faithful, yet fresh. It’s the same experience, redefined. It’s familiar, yet breathtaking. And most importantly, it’s one of the best game’s of our generation. Final Fantasy VII: Remake is in clear contention for Game of the Year, again… in 2020.

Digitally Downloaded - 5 / 5 stars

I don't necessarily see FFVII Remake as a replacement to the original game, as remakes generally are. It's a complement to it, where the developers have built on the world and characters in such a way that it's like two sides of a single coin - for me, at least, without one, the other doesn't exist.

Game Revolution - 5 / 5 stars

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a video game experience we only get every once in a while, and it’s one of the best titles I’ve ever had the pleasure of playing.

GameSpew - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is the best JRPG from Square since Final Fantasy VII.

GameSpot - 10 / 10

Square Enix tells a smaller, more personal Final Fantasy 7 tale and marries it with a smart mashup of action and RPG gameplay to deliver a must-play experience.

GamingBolt - 10 / 10

To begin with, it's not an easy-peasy task to remake Final Fantasy 7. But Square Enix have not only done that, but they have also managed to deliver one of the finest RPG experiences of this generation.

Guardian - 5 / 5 stars

Hailed as one of the greatest games ever, its remake is superbly reimagined without losing the distinctive quality of the original

Noisy Pixel - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake pulls no punches. The story feels complete as the entire story builds up to a fantastical ending sequence that has me running out of compliments. This game is something of a marvel to experience, which has me eagerly awaiting the next installment. It’s easy to see how much respect the developers have for this story and these characters during every minute of this adventure, which made it difficult to put down, even for a minute.

PlayStation LifeStyle - 10 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is perfection. It breathes life into the cold steel of Midgar, adding weight and dimension to that which was once simply an introduction to a more grand adventure.

Screen Rant - 5 / 5 stars

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a picture-perfect return to Midgar.

TheSixthAxis - 10 / 10

An utter joy to play from start to finish, packed with memorable scenes, moustache-twirling baddies, and epic battles. The first part of Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't just polished, it's opulent.

ThisGenGaming - 100 / 100

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a love-letter to the source material. It does a much better job at telling the gripping story and makes you truly feel for the inhabitants of Midgar. Lay to rest any worries you may have had over its length as well, as this first “episode” will provide you with a full game’s worth of content.

Glitched Africa - 9.8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake could have gone south very quickly but instead, Square Enix has crafted an authentic experience that brings the world of Midgar and its cast to life in new ways. The story has never been told in a better format, the combat is fun and addictive and the promise of more to come makes this first chapter so much more worthwhile. If this is the start of things, I can’t wait to see where it goes from there.

IGN Spain - Spanish - 9.6 / 10

The only reason we might not consider Final Fantasy VII Remake a masterpiece is because the play is not over. But it is a work of art. A love letter to the original, written directly on your DualShock 4. Square Enix dresses in Squaresoft, fulfills all its promises and recovers the magic. In short, the remake is just what we expected: a dream come true.

COGconnected - 95 / 100

Wherever Square Enix goes from here, we can’t possibly get there soon enough. Miss out on Final Fantasy VII: Remake at your peril.

GamingTrend - 95 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Remake is more than just a remake. It stays true to the core elements of the original game, while also exploring, expanding, and breathing new life, depth, imagination, and personality into an already outstanding world and cast of characters.

IGN Italy - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is an extraordinary game: not only as a magnificent reinterpretation of a classic, but also because of the courage instilled in its writing and perfect conception. A great title from Square-Enix, you have to give it some respect.

LevelUp - Spanish - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is the piece that knew to blend the past with the present. What Square Enix has done is cause for celebration, as it has been able to fabricate everything we imagined and the vision we had of the original more than two decades ago. Easily, Final Fantasy VII Remake can give modern makers a lecture on how a remake should be done. The adventure that started in Midgar relives again and has surprised us again.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 95 / 100

Despite the huge expectations around it, Final Fantasy VII Remake manages to exceed them and deliver an incredible reimagination of the most important JRPG of all time, with a fantastic experience both on its story and on the battlefield, that should please both new and old fans alike.

Reno Gazette-Journal - 9.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake does the impossible by not only building on the original but surpassing it in some aspects. Admittedly, it has its fair share of stumbles due to uneven side quests, some shaky dialogue as well as pacing issues. Its excellent presentation and combat, however, combined with a more fleshed-out narrative that shows the developing bonds between its characters, make this a wonderful take on a timeless classic. I can’t wait to see what the series comes up with next.

Atomix - Spanish - 93 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a great reinterpretation of one single part of the 1997 classic. Its beautiful graphics and impressive combat system, make is it a great game.

Wccftech - 9.3 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a masterful modernization of the series' classic formula. The game is an extremely solid JRPG that looks, sounds and plays great, despite some pacing issues and linearity. That said, the unexpected story twists may sour the experience a bit for those who expected a faithful remake.

PowerUp! - 9.2 / 10

It might have taken years and years but we finally got the Final Fantasy7 Remake. It might not yet be complete but it's incredible and has been well worth the wait.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4.5 / 5 stars

Taking one of the most genre defining and well loved games of all time and rebuilding it from the ground up was a tall order, but Square Enix pulled it off with modernized gameplay and a fleshing out of the world and many characters compared to the original. While only featuring a portion of the story fans know and love, Final Fantasy VII Remake still manages to feels like a complete game, yet still part of a larger narrative to come, and will have fans waiting anxiously for the next entry as soon as they finish.

AusGamers - 9 / 10

For now, this is the best Cloud gaming experience money can buy.

CGMagazine - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake does the impossible, somehow allowing me to relive one of the biggest gaming moments of my childhood as if it were new.

Destructoid - 9 / 10

I kind of agonized over rating Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's going to garner a lot of discussion from people who are both blown away by the new treatment and disappointed by it, and those feelings are not mutually exclusive. In the end — after thinking on it for some time and removing nostalgia from the equation entirely — I came to the conclusion that this world is full of powerful characters and a setting that's worth remembering: remake or not.

Easy Allies - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is an ambitious retelling that feels right at home in the modern era.

Everyeye.it - Italian - 9 / 10

The ability to speak to such a large audience is undoubtedly the greatest advantage of Final Fantasy VII Remake, while the only real flaw is that in all probability it will be too long before we can get back on the road.

GameByte - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is easily one of the best RPGs of this generation.

GameMAG - Russian - 9 / 10

If you were waiting for a turn-based classic with new graphics you will most likely be disappointed, since the game has changed a lot. Everyone else is happy

Gamer Escape - 9 / 10

Overall, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a stunning game and absolutely worth your time, so long as you go into it with an open mind and don’t expect it to stubbornly adhere to a nearly 25-year-old tale. I, for one, am rabidly excited to see where future entries will take this story.

Gamers Heroes - 90 / 100

Much like its predecessor, Final Fantasy 7 Remake is far from perfect. Its linear design and difficulty spikes may be off-putting for some, but stick through the rough bits and there's another incredible story and wonderful world waiting.

Gamersky - Chinese - 9 / 10

Although Final Fantasy VII Remake only conclude a very limited part of the whole story, there are still more than 30 hours' wonderful experience. The way of how they retell the story is nearly perfect. The battle is fast, fluid and also full of classic elements. The only obvious flaw of the game is the dull puzzles. But apart from that, Final Fantasy VII Remake definately is a must-buy masterpiece especially for fans.

GamesRadar+ - 4.5 / 5 stars

A beautifully crafted and entertaining reimagining of a classic that brings renewed life to its story and characters

God is a Geek - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is simply stunning, and a breath-taking masterclass in recreating something beloved for a new – and old – audience.

MMORPG.com - 9 / 10

It’s not perfect, but Final Fantasy VII REMAKE is the remake I was hoping for.

PlayStation Universe - 9 / 10

Putting the few slight issues aside, Final Fantasy VII Remake stuns with how it expands on the original. At the same time, it takes its own risks and creates its own footsteps. Final Fantasy VII Remake is beautiful, engrossing, and hard to pass up. This game is meant for both fans and newcomers, no matter how learned, and the sheer level of time and effort put into this reimagining truly shows through and through.

Press Start - 9 / 10

At the end of it all, even under immense scrutiny and in spite of some disappointing shortcomings, there's no getting around the fact that I had a giant grin on my face for just about the entirety of Final Fantasy VII Remake. It's an enjoyable enough game if you're a casual fan of Final Fantasy or action RPGs, but if you're in it for the fandom you may just have your mind blown.

RPG Fan - 90 / 100

A refreshing re-imagining of the beginning of Final Fantasy VII, Remake is at times wonderful but at others audacious, and I'm here for the ride.

Saudi Gamer - Arabic - 9 / 10

Taken as a new game based on the PS1 Classic, building and improving on some of its aspects while drastically changing others, this is a beautiful game with a great battle system and some of the best character development ever, but its structure falters somewhat at times.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a masterpiece, a love letter to FF7 fans, an homage to one of the greatest games of all time.

Twinfinite - 4.5 / 5

If you’re willing to keep an open mind, you’ll be able to enjoy Final Fantasy VII Remake for what it is at its core: a gorgeous, well-made, and fun RPG that successfully retells one of the best video game stories ever told with a few twists.

Worth Playing - 9 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a love letter to the original game. With likeable characters, engaging gameplay, and clever twists and turns, FF7R does everything that it needs to. An over-reliance on pre-existing knowledge of FF7 may make it a tough introduction for new players. The strong writing and excellent gameplay should carry newcomers over the finish line, even if they're confused by things by the end. The ending might be a little controversial, but the rest of the game sets up such a strong base that I can't wait for Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 2.

FinalBoss - 8.8 / 10

The Final Fantasy VII Remake had an incredible reputation to uphold and does so with a confidence and elegance lacking in many modern-day releases. Square promised to deliver something truly special and succeeded on all fronts.

Game Informer - 8.8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake finds a satisfying balance between innovation and tradition, delivering flashy battles and fun systems mixed with nods for old-school fans

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a great game, excellent, even, for today's standards. And for the most part, it is exactly what fans have been asking for during the past ten years. But the truth is that this isn't it; this isn't the game that was promised.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8.8 / 10

The first part of Final Fantasy 7 Remake deepens the structure of Midgar, the story and the characters of the originale game, but leaves the players with too many questions about the future and the structure of next episodes.

GuiltyBit - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake fulfills its mission of paying tribute to one of the most important games in video game history. Some changes in the story may detract from its quality, but they do not deny its J-RPG status more than remarkable.

But Why Tho? - 8.5 / 10

Sometimes the camera moves too fast or worse far too slow during combat making me feel disoriented. However, I don’t want to put this game down. It is breathtakingly beautiful, from the set pieces to the character design, and features new and improved combat that is both modern and a love-letter to the original turn-based mechanics.

DualShockers - 8.5 / 10

23 years after Final Fantasy 7 changed the gaming landscape forever, Final Fantasy 7 Remake seeks to revisit Midgar on a scale we could only dream of.

Fextralife - 8.5 / 10

A very slow start turns into a non stop thrill ride through the reimagined world of Final Fantasy VII. Fans of the franchise will feel right at home in a game that is likely to dethrone Resident Evil 2 as the reigning king of modern remakes. If it weren't for a combat system that is downright frustrating at times, it would be a must buy for nearly every RPG enthusiast. As it stands now, this is a day one buy for Final Fantasy fans, but for everyone else mileage may vary.

Forbes - 8.5 / 10

Overall, this is an amazing game that works on its own and fleshes out the story and setting of Final Fantasy VII in a remarkably cogent way.

GRYOnline.pl - Polish - 8.5 / 10

The remake of Final Fantasy VII isn’t perfect. It has some highly redundant and simply boring side activities that derail the narrative at times, and the visuals are very uneven. But all of these are minor hitches. FFVII Remake is so much more than a mere nostalgia act. It’s probably the most daring game Square Enix has created in years – one that generates great emotions and tons of fun.

The Games Machine - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a successful return to the past; it's not without problems, but fans of the series will be happy to revisit an epic story and meet old friends again.

TrueGaming - Arabic - 8.5 / 10

Midgar has been truly brought to life in this Re-imagined chapter in the Final Fantasy VII universe, it is packed with impressive details.

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a very well done game, it is much more polished and complete than the series latest installments and it offers a nice level of challenge that will satisfy action RPGs lovers. However, we did wish for the game to be more open and less controlling for the player's actions.

Video Chums - 8.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake brilliantly recreates the events of Midgar in a breathtaking way. Even though there's no denying just how amazing of an experience it is, the adventure within will still leave fans wanting much more.

GamePro - German - 84 / 100

A technically impressive action RPG, but it offers only a fraction of the Final Fantasy 7 experience

Critical Hit - 8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake isn't the retelling of a cult classic that you're expecting it to be. It's a lengthy and deliberately slow-paced walk down the Midgar memory lane that leisurely basks within the warm glow of nostalgia, but at the same time it's an exhilarating and cinematic explosion of action that not only celebrates the impact of the game which rewrote the rulebook for an entire industry in 1997, but also everything else that followed in its genre-defining wake.

Daily Star - 4 / 5 stars

If you can break through the more sluggish and unenjoyable moments of the game, you’ll find an absolute gem of an action-RPG shining at the core, a promise of what Square Enix can do with role-playing games in this generation and generations to come.

Explosion Network - 8 / 10

The big question for Final Fantasy VII Remake for many is going to be: was it worth the wait? For me, the answer is yes. I teared up at several points, I enjoyed the combat for the most part and the experience of being able to explore Midgar with these fantastic characters in such a visually updated fashion was an absolutely amazing experience.

Gameblog - French - 8 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake is a deep, dense and strong invitation to rediscover an all-time classic, thanks to a new three dimensional approach of the vast city of Midgar. The game fills up so many gap, deepens the plot, and sometimes takes way too much time to take us from point A to point B. But thanks to a strong and evolving combat system, new looks of iconic characters and a brilliant work of reorchestration of Uemtasu's score. If only it could have gone just a little further.

Hardcore Gamer - 4 / 5

It's hard to remake a beloved game.

IGN - 8 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Remake's dull filler and convoluted additions can cause it to stumble, but it still breathes exciting new life into a classic while standing as a great RPG all its own.

Impulsegamer - 4 / 5

So, does Final Fantasy VII Remake live up to the standards set all those years ago? Overall, yes. The world is lively, the script is well written and the combat feels natural. There is still a long way to go in the saga yet, but with these bones it feels like Square Enix has the potential to build something great. The first instalment strikes a great balance of catering to long-time fans while opening up the tale to a newer generation. If you don't like it, there's always the original. This trip to Midgar is well worth taking, even if it feels like the best may be yet to come.

Metro GameCentral - 8 / 10

Fans will be arguing about it for decades to come but for now this is a surprisingly daring reinvention of the legendary original, although it's a shame its biggest flaws were largely avoidable.

Paste Magazine - 8 / 10

Whether you’ve played the original or not, you probably won’t forget Final Fantasy VII Remake any time soon.

Push Square - 8 / 10

Measured against the immense expectations that surround it, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a great game that will inevitably disappoint some fans.

RPG Site - 8 / 10

At its best, Final Fantasy VII Remake is a loving, painstakingly meticulous reimagining of the original. While not every new facet is equally inspired, it remains an exuberant reminder of why it captivated many so long ago.

Stevivor - 8 / 10

All things considered, it’s still a polished and worthwhile affair, doing many things for many different people.

Tech Advisor - 4 / 5 stars

Final Fantasy 7 Remake has been a long time coming. If you're a Final Fantasy 7 fan, you've likely already bought this, but if you're a fan of the Final Fantasy franchise or RPGs in general, this is likely to be the game by which all over RPGs in 2020 are judged.

Fan service, charm and a killer aesthetic certainly don't hurt things, but some confusing combat choices and a story that's a little too busy stop it from being a true classic.

VG247 - 4 / 5 stars

The journey is completely worth it.

MSPoweruser - 7.8 / 10

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is not flawless. In fact, it’s a game that proactively attempts to guide you past its flaws every step of the way, but it is still a game I’m glad I played. It’s likely to bring the ire of hardcore fans: as someone who only has a passing knowledge of original I know for a fact where this story has massively altered. However, if you play FF7R, you will fall in love. Not with the game, and not necessarily its museum-exhibit world, but with its cast. In that sense, Final Fantasy 7 Remake is pretty darn great.

Gameplanet - 7.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII REMAKE is a spectacular game that soars and falls in equal measure. There is a lot to love here, but frustrations and disappointments mar the experience. A solid central story is undermined by needless padding. Exceptional combat loses its edge at times due to unfortunate design choices, and gorgeous visuals are muddied with some appalling technical shortcomings.

WellPlayed - 7.5 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake has converted this detractor into a believer. Even with its handful of issues, the richly detailed world and story are something to behold.

USgamer - 3.5 / 5 stars

Final Fantasy 7 Remake sets out to fully re-imagine a classic RPG with improved combat and an expanded story. Unfortunately, it's hurt by weak side quests and a surplus of padding, and its biggest change is bound to be controversial. It's one of the most coherent and enjoyable Final Fantasy releases in years, but it's also likely to be one of the most divisive.

EGM - 6 / 10

Final Fantasy VII Remake manages to balance the introduction of new concepts with faithfully recreations of the original game's most memorable aspects, but it also unnecessarily pads out this first installment in a larger story with too much downtime between its most striking moments.

Telegraph - 3 / 5 stars

Despite being decorated for single-handedly breaking the Japanese role playing game genre in the West, Final Fantasy 7 was also maligned for many years as the videogame most returned to vendors by disgruntled customers.

ACG - Buy

"While it does have inconsistencies FF 7 Remake is well worth the effort and is an interesting beginning to the world of Cloud"

Ars Technica - Unscored

You get to do a lot in this game's runtime, which is why its 35-plus hours feel as hearty as classic JRPGs of twice that length.

Eurogamer - Recommended

An expansive remake that treads carefully upon this most cherished of games, though some blunders will linger long in the memory.

GameXplain - Loved

Video Review - Quote not available

Kotaku - Unscored

Final Fantasy VII Remake is not what I expected. It’s a grand, ambitious, beautiful experiment, a bold new take on a game that millions of people remember fondly. It sometimes feels shackled by the weight of two decades worth of expectations, but it handles those restraints with aplomb. I certainly can’t wait to see what’s next.

Player2.net.au - B+

“A staggering reimagining of a genre touchstone, FFVIIR makes improvements upon the original in many areas but is similarly harmed by some uneven additions.”

Polygon - Unscored

Final Fantasy 7 Remake is a flawed, but fascinating, reimagining of a classic

Skill Up - Unscored

Video Review - Quote not available

Pretty good reviews. 

I apparently pre-ordered this back when Amazon was still doing discounts on all game pre-orders, so my copy arrives on Friday.

I'm heartened that some people seem to think that there is a complete arc in this first game, which should be table stakes, but it's easy to imagine that not being the case.