Final Fantasy VII Remake OT - Big Trouble in Little Midgar

SaysWho?

I’m on Chapter 16, my characters were level 44 and there’s a place on this chapter that you can get exp pretty quickly. I figured I might as well do a quick grind because I wanted my weapons to get to level 6... 

Spoiler

But, you can’t get your weapons to level 6 until you beat the game and unlock the hard difficulty, so I wasted about 20-30 minutes needlessly grinding :|

• Haha 1

Finished chapter 14. Thinking I might beat it in two more play sessions. 

I never played the original and 

Spoiler

Jessie and Biggs dying really sucked. I wish they would have kept at least one of them alive since they made them such good characters with the remake. Wedge is the weakest of the group to me. 

2 hours ago, johnny said:

Finished chapter 14. Thinking I might beat it in two more play sessions. 

I never played the original and 

Hide contents

Jessie and Biggs dying really sucked. I wish they would have kept at least one of them alive since they made them such good characters with the remake. Wedge is the weakest of the group to me. 

The thing about Biggs and Wedge in the original is that they were never fleshed out characters. There's always been a Biggs and Wedge in a good handful of Final Fantasy games (the first, 6, 7, 8 10, 12 and so on) but they are mainly kind of a nod to star wars and mostly an Easter egg than real characters. Like seeing Stan Lee in all the Marvel movies.

33 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Now watch that video I posted a couple posts above!

Just watched it. 
Spoilers thoughts below. 

Spoiler

I completely understand that people are upset that they are potentially changing everything up. As others have said, I just don’t hold it to be a sacred cow that many do. As the final chapter was playing out and the flashes of the original game played out, I got excited. It felt like they were honoring the original game. Those events happened. SE just wants to explore other stories with these characters in an alternate timeline. I didn’t necessarily love the ending of the original so I’m not mad about the stark changes.

The last chapter, Sephiroth fight etc was anime as hell. But I love anime soooooo...didn’t bother me.

i can totally see how long time fans are upset at this turn of events. That’s a valid opinion. I’m eager for the next one. They will probably screw it up royally but we will see I guess  

26 minutes ago, Anzo said:

Just watched it. 
Spoilers thoughts below. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Yea, I agree. Also, in that other thread there was a claim that there’s two Sephiroths - I didn’t get that impression at all (he was using the mimic ability of the Jenova cells in the reunion guys to have fakes of himself move around, certainly, though... but, not actually two of him). I do have the impression that this Sephiroth somehow has the knowledge of the OG FF7 and is actively trying to “change destiny” (ie: reaching out to Cloud a lot more through the Jenova cells in the early game to make him almost miss meeting Aerith). It’s been awhile since I’ve watched it, but, in Advent Children I remember it being shown that Sephiroth survives death because he can’t fully be absorbed into the mako stream and uses his Jenova cells to “regrow” after a period of time: my assumption is that he found a way to merge his future memories into his old self(s...?) through that stream. Anyway, this gives them a way to actually stop him for good.

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:
  Hide contents

Yea, I agree. Also, in that other thread there was a claim that there’s two Sephiroths - I didn’t get that impression at all (he was using the mimic ability of the Jenova cells in the reunion guys to have fakes of himself move around, certainly, though... but, not actually two of him). I do have the impression that this Sephiroth somehow has the knowledge of the OG FF7 and is actively trying to “change destiny” (ie: reaching out to Cloud a lot more through the Jenova cells in the early game to make him almost miss meeting Aerith). It’s been awhile since I’ve watched it, but, in Advent Children I remember it being shown that Sephiroth survives death because he can’t fully be absorbed into the mako stream and uses his Jenova cells to “regrow” after a period of time: my assumption is that he found a way to merge his future memories into his old self(s...?) through that stream. Anyway, this gives them a way to actually stop him for good.

yeah I didn’t get that impression about Sephiroth at all either. 

31 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm on Chapter 14 as of today. I've been enjoying it so far, despite the questionable texture loading issue.  I will likely try and clear the game next weekend, if I don't get side tracked level ever single materia! :sun:

Ch 14 felt really long but the rest after that passed quickly.  

On 4/17/2020 at 2:50 PM, jaethos said:

15 didn't add character switching until significantly after the game released, so a lot of people who played it only ever played as Noctis.

Ah, I had no idea - I played the Royal Edition that came out much later, so makes sense. A shame they didn't have it from the start, each of the characters plays very differently from each other.

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I don’t know why people were so pissed in that other thread. The ending was/is fine and

Hide contents

Makes the original relevant still 

The issue is

Spoiler

They were mostly upset that it's not actually a remake. This is a retelling / sequel / requel. Like a lot of remakes they kind of just retread the game with nicer graphics. This however, is not the original game. This is like alternate timelines of the original game, which is fine IF you're prepared for it. Having seen the whole game being played through and knowing roughly what would happen I'm fine with the changes. But if someone said "I haven't played the original game is playing remake enough" I would say you still need to play the original.

6 hours ago, Spork3245 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Both Aerith and Sephiroth are aware of things being changed. Sephiroth is trying to change things and the ghosts are trying to prevent that and only Aerith can see the ghosts at the beginning. Plus she has some dialogue that suggests she knows whats going on about fate and all that.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Hide contents

Both Aerith and Sephiroth are aware of things being changed. Sephiroth is trying to change things and the ghosts are trying to prevent that and only Aerith can see the ghosts at the beginning. Plus she has some dialogue that suggests she knows whats going on about fate and all that.

Yes, that’s more or less what I said :p 

13 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I was just confirming your impressions! :p

:mhug: confirm it a little more :mhug: 

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The issue is

Reveal hidden contents

I get it, I guess. I think the ending was 

Spoiler

Supposed to be a surprise twist for fans of the OG in that this is a continuation and a sequel. To do that they couldn’t name it “FF7 Alt-Timeline”. I’m typically someone who hates change in things they love, like the changes from the books in the LotR movies annoyed me to no end... but, I absolutely love what SE is doing so far with FF7 2020.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

:mhug: confirm it a little more :mhug: 

I get it, I guess. I think the ending was 

Hide contents

Supposed to be a surprise twist for fans of the OG in that this is a continuation and a sequel. To do that they couldn’t name it “FF7 Alt-Timeline”. I’m typically someone who hates change in things they love, like the changes from the books in the LotR movies annoyed me to no end... but, I absolutely love what SE is doing so far with FF7 2020.

You quoted the wrong thing but I think it is understandable how the game could be divisive :p

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

whats everyones playtime at that beat it? Im on chapter 9, didnt get to play much this weekend - but i just looked and i already have about 14 1/2hrs on the game clock. 

38.5 hours. I did all side quests. 

2 hours ago, atom631 said:

whats everyones playtime at that beat it? Im on chapter 9, didnt get to play much this weekend - but i just looked and i already have about 14 1/2hrs on the game clock. 

~46 hours, but I wasted approximately an hour grinding to finish the battle intel reports and attempt to get my weapons to lvl 6. I also explored every nook and cranny methodically. Had I just did the main side-quests and story missions, I suspect I would’ve clocked in around 44-45 hours.

I don't remember the original that well, but I have a question for those that do: was the entire female cast always so thirsty for Cloud? I primarily remember thinking that Cloud was supposed to be a cool guy, but I don't recall any specific reactions to him.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I don't remember the original that well, but I have a question for those that do: was the entire female cast always so thirsty for Cloud? I primarily remember thinking that Cloud was supposed to be a cool guy, but I don't recall any specific reactions to him.

In regards to Tifa and Aerith, yes.

52 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

In regards to Tifa and Aerith, yes.

Yep, this.

Jessie has an expanded role so that's new, but with the improved graphics it's pretty clear that even "in-world" Cloud is considered a pretty and muscular guy (who, also, kicks ass and is super powerful, which probably helps with the ladies). Before all the mental breakdown stuff later in the game, Cloud tries to play the "cool" guy, which works initially in the original game.

Up to chapter 8, it's been a fun ride so far.  I'm enjoying most of the story twists to this point.  It doesn't treat the original with total reverence, but that's totally fine by me in how it's been handled.  It's new in the same way the combat is new.  The underpinnings are still there, but it feels like a new(ish) game.

@Emperor Diocletian II  Planning on playing this now or waiting until the PC/Xbox release?