Willow to throw away his wand, drink mystic nut juice, and die like a fart in the wind... Disney+ sequel series announced

From Darkhorizons

Disney+ Plans A “Willow” Sequel Series

Thirty years before “Solo” hit cinemas, filmmaker Ron Howard did another project for Lucasfilm quite separate to those stories set in a galaxy far far away – the 1988 fantasy feature “Willow”.

Set in the world of Nockmaar, the original film follows a reluctant farmer who plays a critical role in protecting a special baby from a tyrannical sorceress queen who vows to destroy her and take over the world.

In the past year or so, Howard has teased that there has been talk of a follow-up film, but it all sounded highly speculative. This week though, talking with MTV’s Happy Sad Confused podcast, Howard confirmed that “Solo co-writer Jon Kasdan is in the midst of ‘serious discussions’ to bring a sequel TV series to Disney+ and is spearheading those efforts:

“There are some really serious discussions going on with Jon Kasdan, who was one of the writers of Solo, who kept hounding me about Willow the whole time we were shooting and also hounding Kathy Kennedy.

We’re in discussions about developing a ‘Willow’ television show for the Disney+. And I think it’d be a great way to go. In fact, George [Lucas] always talked about the possibility of a Willow series, and it’d be great and more intimate, and built around that character and some of the others. And Jon Kasdan has, I think, an inspired take on it and it could be really, really cool.”

Previously Howard says a follow-up would likely follow Elora Danan, the grown-up infant princess whom Jean Marsh’s Queen Bavmorda was trying to destroy, and has now confirmed it will be a continuation. However Warwick Davis’ Willow is returning, Howard saying: “Warwick will be in it. Warwick is so cool and so good and he’s such a good actor that I really hope we get the chance to see the mature Willow in action.”

Could be fun if done with love ala "Cobra Kai" and not hate ala... well, you know :isee:

52 minutes ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

However Warwick Davis’ Willow is returning, Howard saying: “Warwick will be in it. Warwick is so cool and so good and he’s such a good actor that I really hope we get the chance to see the mature Willow in action.”

Does reading this make anyone else’s head hurt?

Also I’m down for a Willow tv show. Reminds me I should rewatch the movie. 

• 3 years later...

I've never heard of this. I think I'll go watch the movie.

edit:

Spoiler

that old lady getting munched on was brutal 

edit 2:

Spoiler
Spoiler

omg this "romance" is so bad

catapulting val kilmer was legit tho 

edit 3:

Spoiler

well that was pretty meh

like this is what is getting a tv series?

i guess if i saw it as a kid i would have liked it but man what a boring movie with a boring ending 

@Baconyeah you sorta had to view it in your youth & have had it growing up. It's essentially nostalgia bait while they're also having the same girl from the Flagsmashers in Falcon & The Winter Soldier seemingly play a prominent role so we'll see how it all works out in the long run.

• True 1

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

@Baconyeah you sorta had to view it in your youth & have had it growing up. It's essentially nostalgia bait while they're also having the same girl from the Flagsmashers in Falcon & The Winter Soldier seemingly play a prominent role so we'll see how it all works out in the long run.

Watching that troll melt into a lump of flesh was nightmare fuel as a child.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SoberChef said:

I'm coming to the conclusion literally everything on Disney+ is nostalgia bait.

I'm kind of over it.

• Halal 1

8 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Watching that troll melt into a lump of flesh was nightmare fuel as a child.

I will say, that was pretty fuckin' wild. I mean, it was like actually gross to a shocking degree. 

• Sicko 1

On 5/26/2022 at 10:23 PM, Bacon said:

edit:

Hide contents

edit 2:

Hide contents
Spoiler

edit 3:

Hide contents

well that was pretty meh

like this is what is getting a tv series?

i guess if i saw it as a kid i would have liked it but man what a boring movie with a boring ending 

Like a lot of things back then it doesn't hold up so well now it wasn't the best movie back then but it was well liked... the series looks much better!

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The original film was the second film that I watched in a theater after moving to the US as a child so it kinda holds a special place for me.

I'm very much going to enjoy watching this series!

Was just talking to a buddy of mine about this movie yesterday. We were talking about what a great time the 80's were for Kids movies and this one came up in conversation as one of the ones that STILL hold up. Val Kilmer was great in this.

• Halal 1

16 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Was just talking to a buddy of mine about this movie yesterday. We were talking about what a great time the 80's were for Kids movies and this one came up in conversation as one of the ones that STILL hold up. Val Kilmer was great in this.

My friends and I have this stoner theory that 80s kids movies were so good, but sometimes crazy, because after Watership Down nobody knew the limits of what you could get away with in a kids movie were anymore.

As someone who saw it recently for the first time, I didn't think the movie held up. 

On 5/26/2022 at 10:23 PM, Bacon said:

edit:

Hide contents

edit 2:

Hide contents
Spoiler

edit 3:

Reveal hidden contents

• Guillotine 1

20 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

My friends and I have this stoner theory that 80s kids movies were so good, but sometimes crazy, because after Watership Down nobody knew the limits of what you could get away with in a kids movie were anymore.

Watership Down, Secret of Nim and ESPECIALLY Monster Squad... Those movies would NEVER be made today.

• True 1

22 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah at some point it was deemed that children are too stupid and unable to handle complex or dark themes. How we haven’t managed to circle back on that is beyond me. Childrens programming (out side of the utter brilliance that is Bluey) is still garbage for idiots. 

The point was probably somewhere around Cool World and Mortal Kombat, so 1992. There was a general push to get games and comics and other programming for kids under better control before Congress comes in and does it for them. It's certainly getting better. As you mentioned, Bluey it's brilliant, but there's other great stuff out there, too. Story Bots, Karma's World, and Gabby's Dollhouse come to mind.

There's also a TON of stuff out there for slightly older kids that's actually pretty great. I'm thinking of stuff like I Love Arlo, Hilda, and Dinotrux.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

The point was probably somewhere around Cool World and Mortal Kombat, so 1992. There was a general push to get games and comics and other programming for kids under better control before Congress comes in and does it for them. It's certainly getting better. As you mentioned, Bluey it's brilliant, but there's other great stuff out there, too. Story Bots, Karma's World, and Gabby's Dollhouse come to mind.

There's also a TON of stuff out there for slightly older kids that's actually pretty great. I'm thinking of stuff like I Love Arlo, Hilda, and Dinotrux.

Ill have to check those out!

Anything to find something else for my kid to watch besides 5 Nights at Freddie’s and Huggy Wuggy videos on YouTube 🙄

3 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

Ill have to check those out!

Anything to find something else for my kid to watch besides 5 Nights at Freddie’s and Huggy Wuggy videos on YouTube 🙄

I should note, the first three I mentioned are very musical, so if you music drives you up the wall. My middle is autistic and most shows she'll watch NEED some sort of musical interlude. Dinotrux is very much in line with your typical 90s Saturday morning cartoon action with friends series. I Love Arlo and the prequel movie Arlo, The Alligator Boy have legitimately fantastic music. That is, im it's better than a kids show. It's all pretty solid. Hilda is very good. Hilda is like grade school Adventure Time. I've totally kept it on for a while, watching it myself, after the kids fall asleep on me.

• Thanks 1