Willow to throw away his wand, drink mystic nut juice, and die like a fart in the wind... Disney+ sequel series announced

10 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

ESPECIALLY Monster Squad

It was PG13 and likely riding the edge of that rating but the real issue was that so many parents assumed it was just a scary take on films like The Goonies so a lot of parents including mine let us watch it . I saw it the theaters when I was 9 and the place was packed with kids. I am sure that marketing was purely "accidental" by the film makers. If had to choose a horror film for a 13 year old that hadnt ever seen one I would choose Monster Squad over The Ring or Sixth Sense.

• 2 months later...

Val Kilmer was originally going to return as Madmartigan from the original film but thanks to covid it got cancelled at the last minute. Apparently the show leaves it open for a possible return in the future.

l-intro-1669757384.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

'We had to figure out a way to preserve the story we wanted to tell with him about how his story was playing out.'

Despite this being aimed squarely at a "young adult" audience, I found the first two episodes to be really quite endearing and a pleasantly light-hearted palete cleanser after the emotional intensity of "Andor" for me!

I'm also now 100% convinced that this world exists in the same universe as those in Star Wars because of the scene in the second episode where Willow describes magic as being the "bloodstream of the universe" and an "energy that flows through all living things."

GOLLY GEE - WHERE COULD I POSSIBLY HAVE HEARD THAT BEFORE, HUH?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Despite this being aimed squarely at a "young adult" audience, I found the first two episodes to be really quite endearing and a pleasantly light-hearted palete cleanser after the emotional intensity of "Andor" for me!

I'm also now 100% convinced that this world exists in the same universe as those in Star Wars because of the scene in the second episode where Willow describes magic as being the "bloodstream of the universe" and an "energy that flows through all living things."

GOLLY GEE - WHERE COULD I POSSIBLY HAVE HEARD THAT BEFORE, HUH?!?!

Agreed. I don’t think I realized they would go kinda Young Adult with it. Which was a turn off for about 5 minutes. But this show really is wonderful so far. The “fellowship” has great chemistry with each other. It’s very funny but in a charming way. I love that it replicates the feeling of the original. Just good vs evil. No shades of grey. 

I could do without the cover songs during the credits though. That’s a trend that needs to die a swift death. 

• Halal 1

10 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Agreed. I don’t think I realized they would go kinda Young Adult with it. Which was a turn off for about 5 minutes. But this show really is wonderful so far. The “fellowship” has great chemistry with each other. It’s very funny but in a charming way. I love that it replicates the feeling of the original. Just good vs evil. No shades of grey. 

The humor is definitely a welcome high point for me.  I did get a good laugh during the "magic words pronunciation" scene :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fourth and fifth episodes were a significant improvement over the third episode, but the show's overall tonal inconsistency appears to be something that's really quite intentional.

There really is only one word that I can use to describe this show so far: weird.  Really, really weird which if anything probably works in its favor to set it apart from its more "serious" contemporaries.

On 12/26/2022 at 5:37 PM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The fourth and fifth episodes were a significant improvement over the third episode, but the show's overall tonal inconsistency appears to be something that's really quite intentional.

There really is only one word that I can use to describe this show so far: weird.  Really, really weird which if anything probably works in its favor to set it apart from its more "serious" contemporaries.

Yeah there are times it seems like an adventure made for kids, and then the raw mature emotion, the cursing, killing, and dark tone definitely suggest otherwise.

So far I'm into it, but I kind of wish this was a movie. Bigger budget, more time to polish it up, etc.

• True 1

2 hours ago, Reputator said:

Yeah there are times it seems like an adventure made for kids, and then the raw mature emotion, the cursing, killing, and dark tone definitely suggest otherwise.

So far I'm into it, but I kind of wish this was a movie. Bigger budget, more time to polish it up, etc.

I definitely agree that this should've been a movie or miniseries as those formats could possibly have avoided quite a bit of the narrative meandering that we've seen in a few of the previous episodes.

That being said, this most recent sixth episode was by far the best episode of the series to date as it was the most cohesive in the story that it was attempting to tell.  Hopefully this is indicative that the filmmakers/writers/etc. finally found their footing/confidence in the material heading into this season's home stretch.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I see this is a sequel to a movie, but given it's an 30+ year old movie I'm assuming it's been made in a way that you can watch the show without watching the original movie?

Eh you could because much of the drama centers around the new characters, but previous events and characters are referenced so heavily that you'll probably spend a lot of time being confused with the other 30% of what's going on.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I see this is a sequel to a movie, but given it's an 30+ year old movie I'm assuming it's been made in a way that you can watch the show without watching the original movie?

The original is still fun, it’s worth the watch. Just remember you’re watching sillier 80’s fantasy. Not post LotR modern serious fantasy. 

So I just watched 5/6. And yeah, they kick it up. 5 is def the best of the season up to that point but 6 is like a level above. It’s like a new series is starting. The vibe of 6 is just so utterly brilliant and as has been said, it feels like they really found their voice and confidence to make the show they actually wanted to make. The trolls 😂😂😂😂. The cameo is brilliant, there’s humor, high stakes, serious and earned emotion and a hell of a mystery to leave you with “nooooo what happens next!”

This show is becoming my happy place. It just makes me smile. 

This show has full on hit its stride. Absolutely loved the latest episode. Easily the most beautiful of the show so far as well. Also kind of an underrated thing but this show is also really really good at finishing single episode arcs while also leaving you with fantastic “holy shit can’t wait to see what’s next” cliff hangers. 

I think we can safely assume that the vast majority of this show's production budget was allocated to the last 1/3 of the season :lol:

All-in-all, this was an enjoyable/entertaining season and I don't regret the time that I spent watching it!  Hopefully this provides a solid foundation to build upon for a second season (should there actually be one).

I will gladly watch a spinoff series entirely devoted to the trolls though! :twothumbsup:

Edit: There were a couple of lines in the finale that made me chuckle.  One was when one character asked Elora if she could shoot lightning from her fingertips and I thought to myself that her response should've been "No, but there's an evil old guy elsewhere in this universe that can!" (see my previous post where I claim that Willow takes place in the Star Wars universe) and another line where Kit is called a "shield" and "sword" that reminded me of the E3 2006 trailer for Halo 3:

30 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I think we can safely assume that the vast majority of this show's production budget was allocated to the last 1/3 of the season :lol:

All-in-all, this was an enjoyable/entertaining season and I don't regret the time that I spent watching it!  Hopefully this provides a solid foundation to build upon for a second season (should there actually be one).

I will gladly watch a spinoff series entirely devoted to the trolls though! :twothumbsup:

They already made one!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

RIP in Peace, Willow (unsurprisingly):

Willow-3-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

EXCLUSIVE: There will be no second season of Willow, Disney+’s live-action original series based on the 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard. The news comes two months after the eight-epi…

There will be no second season of Willow, Disney+’s live-action original series based on the 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard. The news comes two months after the eight-episode first season of the show, which served as a sequel to the classic movie, ended its run on the streaming platform.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

RIP in Peace, Willow (unsurprisingly):

Willow-3-1.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

EXCLUSIVE: There will be no second season of Willow, Disney+’s live-action original series based on the 1988 fantasy film directed by Ron Howard. The news comes two months after the eight-epi…

Awww, that's actually a little disappointing.

• Hugs 1