EA has cancelled its open-world Star Wars project (Kotaku/Schreier), udpate - analyst downgrades EA stock

Commissar SFLUFAN

1 hour ago, SFLUFAN said:

There is little doubt in my mind that both of the cancelled Star Wars projects (Visceral's and this one) have the same root cause: EA's mandated use of the Frostbite Engine for all of it's projects.

No pressure, Respawn Entertainment.  None at all.

I think EA acquired the Star Wars license with little else on their mind other than quick, shallow cash-grabs riddled with loot boxes and micro-transactions. Then the gamers voted with their wallets on Battlefront II and now EA literally has no fucking clue what to do with it. There's no way in a blue Hell they'll pay for a studio to spend five years on a one-shot single player game, no matter how well it sold, yet the multiplayer angle is no longer a sure thing. 

I honestly wish they'd swallow their pride and throw in the towel on the whole deal. There are so many other developers that could do an amazing job with that license.

But, EA gonna EA (and Disney gonna Disney, for that matter).

6 hours ago, SFLUFAN said:

There is little doubt in my mind that both of the cancelled Star Wars projects (Visceral's and this one) have the same root cause: EA's mandated use of the Frostbite Engine for all of it's projects.

No pressure, Respawn Entertainment.  None at all.

Visceral and Motive would have had their hands full with a 3rd party engine as well.

EA as a publisher just lacks the the patience to see these games through while sticking to a vision.

When EA’s top decision-makers looked at their road map for the next few years, they decided that they needed something earlier than the planned release date for Orca, according to two people familiar with what happened. So they cancelled Orca in favor of a smaller-scale Star Wars project that’s now aimed for much sooner—likely, late 2020, which also happens to be around the time that I’ve heard next-gen consoles will launch. (Might be a bit earlier; might be a bit later. From what I’ve heard, next-gen plans are definitely still in flux.)

To EA’s credit, those people said, the publisher did not lay anyone off as part of this transition. This news comes at a time of cost-cutting across the industry, at major publishers including both EA and Activision, as we’ve reported. Some at the studio also hope that Orca might be restarted after this new project is finished.  

It is crazy how few games EA and Activision have in the pipeline. Clearly, the expectations of both companies were to have lootboxes carry them financially over the short term. With that dream dead, both are scrambling to for games to sell. 

3 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

It is crazy how few games EA and Activision have in the pipeline. Clearly, the expectations of both companies were to have lootboxes carry them financially over the short term. With that dream dead, both are scrambling to for games to sell. 

We can count on two hands the combined number of games both companies have in the pipeline.

19 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

So it wasn't even a boondoggle yet? They just wanted a different game sooner? Yeah, that's how all great and successful games are made. Everyone wants to buy the terrible licenced launch title, no one wants to buy the  polished single-player epic.

If there's something I've really enjoyed the last few years, it's how well games like Breath of the Wild, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, God of War, Spider-Man, Super Mario Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2 have done. Hell, The Last of Us selling over 17 million copies is stellar.

EA’s 2019 lineup should have looked like this:

Anthem

FIFA

Madden

NHL

Live

Visceral’s Star Wars game

Titanfall 3 (BR mode included)

2020 - Jedi, Battlefront, and Andromeda Expansion.

2021 - Battlefield, Anthem Expansion, and Motive’s Star Wars open world game. 

2022 - Dragon Age, Respawn Shooter (TF4 or Star Wars Republic Commando), Visceral game