Avengers: Endgame Trailer and Discussion Thread

Pikachu

1 hour ago, Oberon said:

Dear God

Best movie I've ever seen in my life.

The only flaw that I could think of

Hide contents

Peter going back to school and seeing Ned. Either Ned was snapped away and so he wouldn't necessarily know what happened and wouldn't be as excited to see Peter, or he wasn't snapped away and then he should be 5 years older than Peter. Or he was just happy because he was snapped away but was happy to see Peter because last time he saw him he was swinging away to the alien ship. That's literally the only flaw I could think of

Oh my God such a good movie I need to see it again

Whoa there. It was good. It's not even in the top 30 beest films ive ever seen. It was a blast, a spectacle, lots of fun, but it's still a superhero movie. And not the best one at that (Dark Knight and Logan are both better). 

I mean calling any Marvel movie ""Best movie I've ever seen in my life" is a bit of ridiculous hyperbole. 

Just got back... And it's good - not great.

There were plenty of good moments and call backs to the 10 year franchise as a whole that will really please the fans who have invested into it all. But the story was simple and straight to the point. Nothing special happened, and minus 2 little threads that can continue other character franchise, this was literally the ending of what we have been building up to - and that's it.

There were pluses and minuses, but it's all spoilerific to really talk about now. I will say that nothing here was as grand or as emotional as Infinity Wars was, and some plot conveniences of "who does what" in this movie were pretty shrug worthy. The best parts are definitely in the middle while the worst are towards the end. The intro? Eh... there could have been more world building, but the Russo's didn't give it and the audience didn't necessarily miss it.

Still, overall what we got was fine. Hype will absolutely dominate people's perception of this movie right now. But the real review of it will come in the coming years when people are allowed to see it up against the other movies we've already seen. Certainly while watching this tonight I knew I was paying attention to this movie more because of how Infinity War left us wanting and not because of what this movie was giving me. And I knew that seeing Endgame for the first time wouldn't allow me to review it fairly, but when all was said and done I left the theater feeling good.

B/B+ effort for this movie, which ends an outstanding 10 year franchise

If anyone cares, I'll throw some spoiler thoughts below:

Hide contents

-I was very happy to see Captain Marvel not really have a large presence in this movie at all. She's written too powerful and just kinda gets to take over the franchise now, and she wasn't crammed down our throats. But even with her being gone for most of the movie, of course she gets to size up Thanos at the very end and make him look weak "just because" in a cringe-worthy "We are women, hear us roar" moment during the final battle.

-And that female moment was the most forced gender scene I've seen in any movie. I was talking to my friend about when such moments began in movies and if they were always so bad (being forced and eye-rolling), and at best we could only remember in the third Lord of the Rings movie with the Ring Wraith being killed by the woman who got to flip her hat off and proudly state "I'm no man, I'm a woman!" with trumpets blaring all around her. Yea... this was 100 times worse, made worse with every female in my audience whooping and clapping... ugh

-The time travel stuff was very fun, but it didn't lead to anything clever. Cap fought Cap, but it didn't change the future. Loki escaping with a stone was great, but it didn't cause any kind of immediate ripple (and I know he's getting his own Disney show). There just could have been something done in the past that actually created an anomaly for us to notice, but there wasn't and it was disappointing. If anything the plot convenience of certain characters going after certain stones was kinda lazy. "I love you Black Widow, and thank God you're here so I can get the soul gem through your corpse." "Hail Hydra." Needle injection... Meh

-The beginning was a little too straight. Only Hawkeye is a renegade? And we hear of this gruesome act in Mexico to only have him in Tokyo just kinda being there? And the Japanese guy he killed with the sword?? Holy hell I thought there might have been a nod to The Wolverine with that actor in this, but nope lol

-The ending "snap" was a disappointment. We still had to wait for the heroes that came back to life to actually show up, and then when they do show up it's as background fodder for the big cg fight. It was just a pose down with music blaring and big wavy lights flashing everywhere without any real interaction between people (sans Quill/Gamora Tony/Peter). The 3-on-1 fight against Thanos was superb, but seeing Cap immediately wielding lightning so expertly raised an eyebrow or two, lol. And Thanos' main dudes? They're not even half as bad ass as they were in Infinity War =(

-Tony's stone swiping was a big let down. It took him all of 3 seconds to hug Thanos' hand to get all six off of him? He couldn't pull off this magician's slight of hand in Infinity War when Thanos was unconscious for all those seconds while five of them were pulling the whole glove off? And then he could simply use them? Wasn't there a moment in Guardians/Galaxy 2 where it was explained to Quill that because he's the son of that planet (I forget its name / Ego? Ero?) that that was the only reason he could hold one infinity gem and live? Very underwhelming.

-Tony's wake at the end... Everyone went to his cabin to watch flowers float in a pond? There is a body. Why isn't there this moment at a funeral with said body being there? And I think when the camera was panning through everyone standing there, the lone teenage kid in the back was supposed to be the kid from Iron Man 3, right? My friend thought it was Peter, but he was near the front. And the kid is the only person I could think of who had anything to do with Iron Man in any of his movies

-I guess we can all be sad for Tony, but not Black Widow? She's the one that doesn't have a corpse and she didn't get flowers in the water or any kind of dam send off. But at least Hawkeye's got a new redhead to be friends with, lol

-Once again, we had the time stone and did nothing with it. We had to use that dam machine at the end where I guess the stones have no powers in comparison? Steve couldn't live that life a million times and come back through the machine at the end? It was a nice send off for him, but it could have been smarter.

-Thor/Guardians 3 looks amazing to me! =) I really hope he's still fat in it, lol!

5 hours ago, Oberon said:

Dear God

Best movie I've ever seen in my life.

The only flaw that I could think of

Hide contents

Peter going back to school and seeing Ned. Either Ned was snapped away and so he wouldn't necessarily know what happened and wouldn't be as excited to see Peter, or he wasn't snapped away and then he should be 5 years older than Peter. Or he was just happy because he was snapped away but was happy to see Peter because last time he saw him he was swinging away to the alien ship. That's literally the only flaw I could think of

Oh my God such a good movie I need to see it again

Spoiler

My head canon, unless they directly talk about it in Far From Home, is that all the main HS characters from Spider-Man's school were snapped, which is why they are all still together in HS for their class trip. Everyone who was snapped appears to have come back the same age, just 5 years later, so they still need to complete HS. The coincidence of all of them snapping is no different to me then all of Hawkeye's family being snapped.

I don't think I have seen a movie that has a 22 movie story ark. This was great. They really pulled it off. This movie does such a good job pulling in characters from so many different movies and story arks into one massive film.

Sure I have a few questions about things in the movie but they feel minor and could get fleshed out in sequels. 

I'm excited to go see it again on Saturday. I just need to pick a different time to go to the restroom. Although I think my timing was pretty good.

Would you guys recommend this for 7yr old?  Kiddo is asking to watch it but I remember she thought IW was boring cause too much talking in between.  Plus the fact it's 3hr+ makes me think I should just wait to take the kids to watch this or wait til it comes out on bluray.

18 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

Would you guys recommend this for 7yr old?  Kiddo is asking to watch it but I remember she thought IW was boring cause too much talking in between.  Plus the fact it's 3hr+ makes me think I should just wait to take the kids to watch this or wait til it comes out on bluray.

My 7 year old daughter enjoyed it.

5 hours ago, TheGreatGamble said:

Whoa there. It was good. It's not even in the top 30 beest films ive ever seen. It was a blast, a spectacle, lots of fun, but it's still a superhero movie. And not the best one at that (Dark Knight and Logan are both better). 

I mean calling any Marvel movie ""Best movie I've ever seen in my life" is a bit of ridiculous hyperbole. 

I think everyone is entitled to opinions of their own.

Spoiler

For as much build up as she got in her movie and in the press, I was genuinely surprised by how little screen time Captain Marvel got. It was probably less than 5 minutes by my rough estimate. Perhaps I built her up too much in my own head canon.

As for the rest of the movie. I genuinely enjoyed it. Tony's death and Captain's "death" had less impact on me simply because I expected it. I knew contractually they were done.

But for the Russo's to tie so many movies together, with myriad callbacks to older movies (the elevator scene was great), was a job well done. My initial reaction is that I think Dark Knight still tops this one, but it was worth every minute.

So from what I have seen, the people who dislike the movie seem to also really dislike the female participation in it (too much of it). They all say that it has nothing to do with it...yet they point it out. To me that says a lot, and that their criticisms are being influenced heavily by their own sexism.

3 hours ago, IdeaOfEvil said:

Just got back... And it's good - not great.

There were plenty of good moments and call backs to the 10 year franchise as a whole that will really please the fans who have invested into it all. But the story was simple and straight to the point. Nothing special happened, and minus 2 little threads that can continue other character franchise, this was literally the ending of what we have been building up to - and that's it.

There were pluses and minuses, but it's all spoilerific to really talk about now. I will say that nothing here was as grand or as emotional as Infinity Wars was, and some plot conveniences of "who does what" in this movie were pretty shrug worthy. The best parts are definitely in the middle while the worst are towards the end. The intro? Eh... there could have been more world building, but the Russo's didn't give it and the audience didn't necessarily miss it.

Still, overall what we got was fine. Hype will absolutely dominate people's perception of this movie right now. But the real review of it will come in the coming years when people are allowed to see it up against the other movies we've already seen. Certainly while watching this tonight I knew I was paying attention to this movie more because of how Infinity War left us wanting and not because of what this movie was giving me. And I knew that seeing Endgame for the first time wouldn't allow me to review it fairly, but when all was said and done I left the theater feeling good.

B/B+ effort for this movie, which ends an outstanding 10 year franchise

If anyone cares, I'll throw some spoiler thoughts below:

Hide contents

-I was very happy to see Captain Marvel not really have a large presence in this movie at all. She's written too powerful and just kinda gets to take over the franchise now, and she wasn't crammed down our throats. But even with her being gone for most of the movie, of course she gets to size up Thanos at the very end and make him look weak "just because" in a cringe-worthy "We are women, hear us roar" moment during the final battle.

-And that female moment was the most forced gender scene I've seen in any movie. I was talking to my friend about when such moments began in movies and if they were always so bad (being forced and eye-rolling), and at best we could only remember in the third Lord of the Rings movie with the Ring Wraith being killed by the woman who got to flip her hat off and proudly state "I'm no man, I'm a woman!" with trumpets blaring all around her. Yea... this was 100 times worse, made worse with every female in my audience whooping and clapping... ugh

-The time travel stuff was very fun, but it didn't lead to anything clever. Cap fought Cap, but it didn't change the future. Loki escaping with a stone was great, but it didn't cause any kind of immediate ripple (and I know he's getting his own Disney show). There just could have been something done in the past that actually created an anomaly for us to notice, but there wasn't and it was disappointing. If anything the plot convenience of certain characters going after certain stones was kinda lazy. "I love you Black Widow, and thank God you're here so I can get the soul gem through your corpse." "Hail Hydra." Needle injection... Meh

-The beginning was a little too straight. Only Hawkeye is a renegade? And we hear of this gruesome act in Mexico to only have him in Tokyo just kinda being there? And the Japanese guy he killed with the sword?? Holy hell I thought there might have been a nod to The Wolverine with that actor in this, but nope lol

-The ending "snap" was a disappointment. We still had to wait for the heroes that came back to life to actually show up, and then when they do show up it's as background fodder for the big cg fight. It was just a pose down with music blaring and big wavy lights flashing everywhere without any real interaction between people (sans Quill/Gamora Tony/Peter). The 3-on-1 fight against Thanos was superb, but seeing Cap immediately wielding lightning so expertly raised an eyebrow or two, lol. And Thanos' main dudes? They're not even half as bad ass as they were in Infinity War =(

-Tony's stone swiping was a big let down. It took him all of 3 seconds to hug Thanos' hand to get all six off of him? He couldn't pull off this magician's slight of hand in Infinity War when Thanos was unconscious for all those seconds while five of them were pulling the whole glove off? And then he could simply use them? Wasn't there a moment in Guardians/Galaxy 2 where it was explained to Quill that because he's the son of that planet (I forget its name / Ego? Ero?) that that was the only reason he could hold one infinity gem and live? Very underwhelming.

-Tony's wake at the end... Everyone went to his cabin to watch flowers float in a pond? There is a body. Why isn't there this moment at a funeral with said body being there? And I think when the camera was panning through everyone standing there, the lone teenage kid in the back was supposed to be the kid from Iron Man 3, right? My friend thought it was Peter, but he was near the front. And the kid is the only person I could think of who had anything to do with Iron Man in any of his movies

-I guess we can all be sad for Tony, but not Black Widow? She's the one that doesn't have a corpse and she didn't get flowers in the water or any kind of dam send off. But at least Hawkeye's got a new redhead to be friends with, lol

-Once again, we had the time stone and did nothing with it. We had to use that dam machine at the end where I guess the stones have no powers in comparison? Steve couldn't live that life a million times and come back through the machine at the end? It was a nice send off for him, but it could have been smarter.

-Thor/Guardians 3 looks amazing to me! =) I really hope he's still fat in it, lol!

Spoiler

-I'm assuming Tony was able to snag the stones this time because his nano suit was able to interface with the new infinity glove he had created and had knowledge of, unlike the gauntlet the Dwarves made.

-Captain Marvel, like Scarlet Witch, has the power signature of an infinity thrown imbued within her.  Of course she's going to size up Thanos, who had to use another Infinity stone himself to dispatch her. 

-I don't see the problem with "Hail Hydra".  It was completely badass.

-As far as the time travel goes there was never going to be a ripple effect from changing the past, as Hulk explained.  This is also why they didn't use the time stone, as thus far we can only assume it has the ability to reverse and forward the flow of time.  It hasn't been shown to be able to jump to various points in time like quantum tunneling, so if they used it on the universe to undo the snap Tony would lose his kid.  And obviously Tony and Steve having permanent endings in the manner they did is meta for us, because everyone knows RDJ and Chris Evans are done with the MCU.

Spoiler

Probably the biggest issue that I didn't see addressed is the leftover knowledge of how to time travel.  While the machines were destroyed, there wasn't a bowtie put on the information of quantum time travel.  I'm sure not only is there some kind of computer backup somewhere, but Hulk and Rocket have an understanding of the theory.  Also Hank and Scott could probably put it together from their own knowledge.  And Nebula may have that information uploaded to her.  So securing that information such that no other evil can use seems like it should be a priority.

Spoiler

I was a bit disappointed that Hulk doesn't get his "SMASH" moment. It feels like a deliberate choice by the Russo's to have Hulk be gentler in this movie. But even though Ruffalo was CG Smart hulk in this one, the CG was really well done. Good motion capture. A friend pointed out to me that he was smaller than aggro Hulk as well.

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

According to hot toys it's a different suit from Infinity Wars so I imagine it uses the same nanomachines as the glove he made.

I'm going to have to see it again before I render judgement, but I think it's both very satisfying and also not a great movie. There are a lot of emotional highs and it does a great job of wrapping up threads all over the place. There's also a lot more comedy than I expected, which I suppose is necessary so it doesn't go full Leftovers in the opening act. I also had a terrible theater experience sitting next to someone who couldn't stop sobbing throughout the film. I'll find some time to get into an IMAX or Dolby screening next week. 

One spoilery thing that I will comment on:

Spoiler

I was kinda surprised how few main characters died. Maybe it was a misplaced set of expectations, but of the OG Avengers they got rid of Iron Man, Widow, and Cap (kinda). None of the phase two-three characters died off other than Vision and maybe Gamora. I didn't really think too hard about who I thought would or could die, but I guess I built this one up in my head as the one where everyone dies. I'm not really disappointed, just a little surprised.

definitely need to see it again before I can make a real decision of where I would rank this. I enjoyed it, though I have to say I probably would have enjoyed it more if a couple a few seats over hadn't brought there 1 or 2 year old.  I don't blame the kid, it's a long loud movie so of course they aren't going to happy/quiet, and I don't even blame the parents for wanting to see the movie, but you don't bring a tiny kid to a movie on opening day!

a few quick random thoughts though

Spoiler

the 'woman power' scene really was horrible. I love the female characters, but having them all show up 'she's not alone' was just silly. The only time you see that many women getting together is when they are going to the bathroom :p    

Steve wielding the hammer was great.

While I am happy Steve got his happy ending, it creates a paradox. Yes I know they tried to explain away that paradoxes can't/don't happen, but my mind still insists it does, and am I wrong or does steve getting peggy really screw things up? We know that Peggy had a husband and went on to have a large family, steve just completely screwed over that guy and negated that family line 

edit....also:

Spoiler

unlike infinity war it didn't truly feel like everyone got 'their moment'. Many people just seemed like 'background noise' for the final battle

Saw the film...definitely enjoyed it with all the interconnecting it does with the entire series so far...

I just wish I "loved" these characters so I could be as blown away as the true fans are.. 

A few things that stuck out:

Spoiler

-Thors Gut

-All the memes ridiculing Black Widow practicing at a shooting range for the upcoming battle while Thanos and Company laugh at her seeming lack of threat....awkward now

-The "woman power" moment, it doesnt personally bother me.... as much as the idea of people bitching about it bothers me.

-Falcon as Captain America...same as above, people bitching about social justice because Cpt America is Black...ugh

-I find it "odd" that 90% of the things folks have speculated on since as far back as Age of Ultron were presented in this film (Cap picking up the hammer, time travel, professor hulk etc etc)...............the truly enjoyable moments for me were the original ideas which weren't predicted beforehand and went against expectation.. (Cap vs Cap etc)

-Tonys daughter, promote that casting agent...she was absurdly cute.

-Kudos to all those folks coming back in to cooperate regardless how much time they got up on the screen

-Old Cap was rushed and not executed well enough to have its intended impact.

Really enjoyable film overall

Biggest Hero of the entire series?  The Damn RAT, no Rat and theres no Lang.

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Reveal hidden contents

I agree. I want to see it again to see if that's really the case or not, but I certainly felt that way leaving the theater.

Spoiler

I'm glad that the core group got to fight Thanos before all the troops showed up. It gave each of them a real chance to shine, everyone getting their awesome action beat. Once all the portals opened and the battle got hectic, I feel like a lot of folks got lost in the chaos. I think that's something that Infinity War might have done better. By splitting up the heroes, they didn't all get quite as lost. Maybe a second viewing will make me feel differently.

6 minutes ago, 5timechamp said:

Saw the film...definitely enjoyed it with all the interconnecting it does with the entire series so far...

I just wish I "loved" these characters so I could be as blown away as the true fans are.. 

A few things that stuck out:

Hide contents

-The "woman power" moment, it doesnt personally bother me.... as much as the idea of people bitching about it bothers me.

Spoiler

I have no problem with them showcasing the women, but come on it was handled so ham-handedly it's not even funny.  It just came off feeling incredibly forced

• Like 1

It’s always amusing when female characters take up residence in a space dominated by male characters, it’s “forced”.

Think for a minute why it feels that way, and then stop making that weak complaint anymore :p

Over simplifying a poorly written and shot scene and then complaining about the fans who are calling it out is pretty weak in itself. Just because it's "women in a dominated male movie" doesn't excuse it. No one's complaining about anything Black Widow did in this film because nothing about her was forced or "hammy"

25 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s always amusing when female characters take up residence in a space dominated by male characters, it’s “forced”.

Think for a minute why it feels that way, and then stop making that weak complaint anymore :p

Holy  shit how did I know that scene was going to ruffle a bunch of male panties when I saw it :lol: I just got back from seeing the movie and when I saw that scene, I said to myself yup... certain "men" on the internet are going to rage about that for months. Don't change internet :cheers:

I enjoyed the movie and it was a satisfying ending to this phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and opens the door for a lot moving forward. I WILL say that enjoyed Infinity War FAR more than this one... I felt like that was just a better movie. Also I'm not really 

Spoiler

a fan of time travel flicks so that may have something to do with my reaction too.

Oh one other thought

Spoiler

i was a little underwhelmed by the "retread" of Thanos as the main villain... WITHOUT the Stones this time too. Once Wanda and Captain Marvel joined the final battle, he and his whole army were CLEARLY outgunned.  Both of them got their powers from the stones so it makes sense. I just feel like there was an opportunity for another big bad to show up... Red Skull was kind of wasted in his cameo.

9 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Oh one other thought

Hide contents

i was a little underwhelmed by the "retread" of Thanos as the main villain... WITHOUT the Stones this time too. Once Wanda and Captain Marvel joined the final battle, he and his whole army were CLEARLY outgunned.  Both of them got their powers from the stones so it makes sense. I just feel like there was an opportunity for another big bad to show up... Red Skull was kind of wasted in his cameo.

Spoiler

If I were to have one really geeky complaint about the movie, I think it would be related to Thanos' power level. I didn't mind him being the big bad, I think anything else would have been odd. Thanos was the villian that we'd been building to, he'd won in the last movie, he needed to be the big bad here. It did strike me as odd that he was able to hold back everyone sans Scarlet Witch / Captain Marvel without a single stone. Power levels fluctuate in the MCU all the time, so it didn't bother me much, but the thought did occur.

4 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

Hide contents

If I were to have one really geeky complaint about the movie, I think it would be related to Thanos' power level. I didn't mind him being the big bad, I think anything else would have been odd. Thanos was the villian that we'd been building to, he'd won in the last movie, he needed to be the big bad here. It did strike me as odd that he was able to hold back everyone sans Scarlet Witch / Captain Marvel without a single stone. Power levels fluctuate in the MCU all the time, so it didn't bother me much, but the thought did occur.

That didn't bother me as much

Spoiler

He's pretty much Hulk level WITHOUT the stones. I did think that he was handling Thor a little too easily without the stones, but we're also talking about "Big Lebowski Thor" too so I can see it.

:p

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That didn't bother me as much

Hide contents

He's pretty much Hulk level WITHOUT the stones. I did think that he was handling Thor a little too easily without the stones, but we're also talking about "Big Lebowski Thor" too so I can see it.

:p

Spoiler

I figured there had to be some way to take Thor down a peg, power-wise, and I quite enjoyed beer belly Thor being the answer.