Breaking: RBG has undergone surgery for early stage lung cancer

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

While it is a fair criticism, the Republicans would have obstructed it for 8 years anyway and Trump would have 3 Supreme Court picks now. :p 

Eh...I don't think so.  They definitely wouldn't have given the same level obstruction that they did with Scalia.  scalia was a hardline conservative justice.  Obama attempted to replace him with a slightly left leaning judge, and the GOP was worried about the power shift.  RBG is already very left leaning, so there would be no worry of a power shift if Obama had nominated a leftist judge. 

Just now, mclumber1 said:

Eh...I don't think so.  They definitely wouldn't have given the same level obstruction that they did with Scalia.  scalia was a hardline conservative justice.  Obama attempted to replace him with a slightly left leaning judge, and the GOP was worried about the power shift.  RBG is already very left leaning, so there would be no worry of a power shift if Obama had nominated a leftist judge. 

Maybe. I'm mostly kidding but what they did with Merrick Garland was pretty unbelievable as is. 

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

Maybe. I'm mostly kidding but what they did with Merrick Garland was pretty unbelievable as is. 

In January the GOP will have 53 seats in the Senate.  Assuming RGB dies or is forced to retire in the next two years, her seat is definitely going to either go to a conservative justice, or at the very least a centrist. The Democrats gambled by letting her stay on the court, and they are ultimately going to lose. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Greatoneshere said:

But the Dems had a senate majority for plenty of Obama’s presidency and as such the GOP wouldn’t have been able to Garland the Ginsburg seat.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Do you think the GOP will nominate someone even slightly moderate to replace her? No way, they are going to try and fill the court with hardline conservatives now.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But the Dems had a senate majority for plenty of Obama’s presidency and as such the GOP wouldn’t have been able to Garland the Ginsburg seat.

Never underestimate the Dems' ability to lose. :p 

But you are right - they should have done it. I'm sure the Republicans would have tried to obstruct still and failed presumably. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Do you think the GOP will nominate someone even slightly moderate to replace her? No way, they are going to try and fill the court with hardline conservatives now.

Kavanaugh isn’t a hardline conservative. He is a GOP operative though, which I think is worse a judge. But getting Ginburg’s seat is playing with house money, they can avoid any one of the conservatives getting a wild hair about some issue and siding with the liberals and still come out 5-4.