~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Nobody: 10/10

I have a buzz on and this movie was fucking great. Tight and right. I may need someone to connect the initial robbery to how the Russians got involved, though. I.E. the kitty cat bracelet and how the Russians ended up with it.

Edit: Just googled it. The bracelet was there the whole time. I should've realized that.

On 3/23/2022 at 12:34 AM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Batman: The Long Halloween - 9/10

Yeah, this was great. I read th graphic novel some years ago, but I’ve hardly watched any of the animated movies. I’m gonna work on that. 

I enjoyed it as well as most of the changes made from the graphic novel.. Batman was a little too incompetent in this but it doesnt distract too much.

Im waiting for the Deluxe release so I can add it to my collection. Not The Dark Knight Returns good, but close enough....thankfully it wasnt a catastrophe like Batman Hush was.

spacer.png

The Devil Judge: 9/10

I've said it before,  but this time for real, finally a show that appeals directly to @Greatoneshere

The name of the show is probably the worst thing about it, maybe it sounds cooler in Korean. The premise is a dystopian future, where poverty and plague ravage the country and the people who run the country are lining their own pockets. You know shit is serious when they have to put a disclaimer in front of the episode that this is fictional (but come out and say it's just the United States ok, there's even a president that shouts "Fake news"). However in this future they run the supreme court as a live show and the public can vote on an app to decide if the suspect is guilty or not. And this "Devil Judge," Kang Yo-han, is possibly just the devil to the 1%ers as he is actually trying to take them down. But also a seed of doubt is placed on this Judge, is he actually doing the right thing, is he hiding anything, etc. It's a very dark and ominous show and it's so well written it keeps you guessing every step of the way. Also, Kim Min-jung's performance is probably the most despicable characters you'll ever see on screen. Yikes!

If you watch this intro and say you're not getting pumped up to watch it you're not a human being:

• Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 2:29 PM, 5timechamp said:

I enjoyed it as well as most of the changes made from the graphic novel.. Batman was a little too incompetent in this but it doesnt distract too much.

Im waiting for the Deluxe release so I can add it to my collection. Not The Dark Knight Returns good, but close enough....thankfully it wasnt a catastrophe like Batman Hush was.

I hate to hear that about Hush. That was my next graphic novel to read and I plan on watching the movie.

Just watched Year One after reading the book. It was pretty solid.

spacer.png

Pet Semetary (2019) - 6/10

As someone who has never read the book and only seen the first movie, which has it's own charm, I can't really comment on how accurate to the book the new movie is (You'll have to ask a voracious Stephen King reader like @EternallDarkness to chime in). But the movie is a lot different than the first movie and I'm not sure if they did it to be different or just be more true to the book.

I think by now we all know the tale of this movie. You bury the dead in the pet scemetary and they don't come back the same. In this one Louis and his family move in from Boston so they can spend more time with their family. One of the scariest things of the original movie is the whole deal with Louis's wife, Rachel, and her tale of her disabled sister. In this movie they introduce that part pretty early and her haunted memories are sprinkled throughout. It's mainly used to set up jump scares rather than a more cerebral horror type thing and yeah this movie tires to rely on jump scare tactics way too often. I don't think this story is necessarily supposed to be scary in that type of way. Also from what I remember Jud actually tells Louis what is up with the Pet Semetary and in this one he keeps it to himself. The biggest twist to the story is the daughter gets hit by a truck instead of the boy. Now on paper perhaps not much changes but what they did with the character, much more talkative and it just kind of turns into a zombie making killing machine rather than have Louis actually have to face the consequences of what he's done. The best thing about the movie are the production values but the creators kind of changed the story in a big way but not really in a good way.

11 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Pet Semetary (2019) - 6/10

As someone who has never read the book and only seen the first movie, which has it's own charm, I can't really comment on how accurate to the book the new movie is (You'll have to ask a voracious Stephen King reader like @EternallDarkness to chime in). But the movie is a lot different than the first movie and I'm not sure if they did it to be different or just be more true to the book.

I think by now we all know the tale of this movie. You bury the dead in the pet scemetary and they don't come back the same. In this one Louis and his family move in from Boston so they can spend more time with their family. One of the scariest things of the original movie is the whole deal with Louis's wife, Rachel, and her tale of her disabled sister. In this movie they introduce that part pretty early and her haunted memories are sprinkled throughout. It's mainly used to set up jump scares rather than a more cerebral horror type thing and yeah this movie tires to rely on jump scare tactics way too often. I don't think this story is necessarily supposed to be scary in that type of way. Also from what I remember Jud actually tells Louis what is up with the Pet Semetary and in this one he keeps it to himself. The biggest twist to the story is the daughter gets hit by a truck instead of the boy. Now on paper perhaps not much changes but what they did with the character, much more talkative and it just kind of turns into a zombie making killing machine rather than have Louis actually have to face the consequences of what he's done. The best thing about the movie are the production values but the creators kind of changed the story in a big way but not really in a good way.

believe it or not, I haven't seen the new version. I remember starting to stream on Amazon I think , but only saw like the first 5 or 10 minutes before I ended up going out with a friend and I never got back to it. I did reread the book a couple of years ago. King always says its his scariest or most disturbing  (at least that's how I seem to remember him talking about, though I think it was disturbing to him for writing about killing a kid as I want to say one of his boys was around Gage's age when he wrote it, which I can definitely see how that can mess with you) I do remember hearing they change a shitload from the book. One of these days I'll get around to watching it. Of course even if it's good I'll still probably prefer the first movie version because of Fred Gwynne.

Mayor of Kingstown

I was not expecting a show about prison to be happy go lucky experience but this show is just excessively miserable with zero likable characters and plot lines/moments that get increasingly unbelievable and stupid as it goes along.

3/10

spacer.png

Dai Shogun - Great Revolution: 7/10

Dai Shogun (or "this is what I call anime vol 5) is a bunch of anime cliches mixed into one mess of a show, that kinda works... ? It takes place in an alternate past Nagasaki where giant mechs protect the country. Keiichiro Tokugawa is kind of a hot head who works at a bathhouse but is turns out is destined to be the protector of the country and to use one of these mechs (called Onigami). The catch is to pilot the mech he has to be a virgin. So he has a curse on him that makes him pass out whenever he touches a woman. On top of that he has a hot ninja bodyguard to protect his virginity. but the mechs have to be piloted by two people and they both have to be virgins so the ninja is a virgin too! And then he meets a fox girl who is a virgin too and like an androgynous virgin chock too and you can kinda see where this is going. But not really, because while this whole virgin thing is a big deal no one's virginity is in danger. It would have been interesting if the bad guys tried to sleep with him so he couldn't pilot the Onigami.

The artwork on the show is actually quite good and insanely detailed. All the women are voluptuous and shapely and all the characters have a great level of detail. BUT (and a big but) is the show is barely animated because they are so detailed (I'm guessing) Like arms move maybe, you rarely see legs move when someone is running. It's like kind of like an old flash video (but with good artwork) or maybe like a visual novel sort of. But on the other side of this all the mechs are actually CG and they look good and are animated fluidly. So I guess that's the trade off. Certainly I do prefer the 2D look though (maybe that's why they had a failed kickstarter). Overall, this isn't anything you haven't seen before but ti's a fun,  silly show with bright vibrant art and a fun cast of characters, like the greatest hits of anime in one.

Also side note: That cover art is not really indicative of the anime.

• Thanks 1

ENCANTO 4/5

(with a 2 niece audio commentary/sing-along/described video viewing. . . .so it might be higher)

Looking after my 2 nieces as my sister went out for a birthday dinner. So overall I liked what I could hear story/song wise with the 2 doing their above commentary. Watched on the OLED and looked beautiful but only heard with a simple stereo sound bar. Next time it’ll be hopefully on my projector with Atmos sound, cause I want my bass with my music damnit.

spacer.png

The Velocity of Gary: (5/10)

Not sure what to make of this movie. Towards the beginning I thought maybe it was a LGBTQ+ positive (ahead of it's time) movie, though I couldn't say I would be the authority on if it is or not. It starts out with this guy, Gary (not his real name), and he saves this trans person after they get beat up. And so it's kind of care free until Gary's lover (?) Valentino (Vincent D'Onofrio) collapses and then the trans person gets hit by a taxi. Then the movie takes a turn as Valentino is lying on his death bed waiting to die from a terminal illness for the rest of the movie and Gary and Valentino's girlfriend Mary Carmen, can't really cope and they aren't totally likable characters either. It's hard to make Salma Hayek unlikable but this movie pulled it off. But if you want to see Thomas Jane kiss Vincent D'Onofrio make sure to check this movie out!

The Spine Of The Night

A throwback animated film in the vein of Bakshi's Fire and Ice and Heavy Metal. The film tells 3 interconnected tales about a mysterious plant that grants its user incredible powers in a mystical world. The VA is pretty so so but Lucy Lawless manages to do very well but the real star is Richard Grant as The Guardian. The man takes his few minutes of lines and elevates head and shoulders above everyone else. If your a fan of these types of films or if you like to get really stoned ( @silentbob) and watch something off the wall its not bad

On 4/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, SimpleG said:

The Spine Of The Night

A throwback animated film in the vein of Bakshi's Fire and Ice and Heavy Metal. The film tells 3 interconnected tales about a mysterious plant that grants its user incredible powers in a mystical world. The VA is pretty so so but Lucy Lawless manages to do very well but the real star is Richard Grant as The Guardian. The man takes his few minutes of lines and elevates head and shoulders above everyone else. If your a fan of these types of films or if you like to get really stoned ( @silentbob) and watch something off the wall its not bad

This movie was actually incredibly good, and very interesting.

Grimm (first 2 seasons) - 8/10

I've been rewatching it because I've been a little lonely and homesick. The first two seasons are really, really good. The world building is great, the characters are just in depth enough to make you care, but not too much. It reminds me of the early seasons of House.

Of course, as with any 'monster of the week' show, it eventually suffers and crashes from the fact that you can't keep raising the stakes forever before you end up skydiving cars out of a plane. That happens towards the middle of season 3, iirc. Not literally, they don't skydive cars, that's just what I think of when I think of 'jumping the shark' now.

That's actually what made House last so long. Every couple seasons they would kind of hit a reset button that allowed the show to come back to earth a bit. Grimm never did that and it just got ridiculous by the end. Fringe used the rest button too many times to the point where it was exhausting. X files definitely could have used it.

9 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Grimm (first 2 seasons) - 8/10

I've been rewatching it because I've been a little lonely and homesick. The first two seasons are really, really good. The world building is great, the characters are just in depth enough to make you care, but not too much. It reminds me of the early seasons of House.

Of course, as with any 'monster of the week' show, it eventually suffers and crashes from the fact that you can't keep raising the stakes forever before you end up skydiving cars out of a plane. That happens towards the middle of season 3, iirc. Not literally, they don't skydive cars, that's just what I think of when I think of 'jumping the shark' now.

That's actually what made House last so long. Every couple seasons they would kind of hit a reset button that allowed the show to come back to earth a bit. Grimm never did that and it just got ridiculous by the end. Fringe used the rest button too many times to the point where it was exhausting. X files definitely could have used it.

Sleepy Hollow was another show with an amazing first couple seasons before it dove into “wait wtf is going on” territory

Marvelous Mrs. Maisel S4

Not sure what to rate it because I just like this show and its characters too much. It was nice to see Midge Maisel's naivety start to crack more and more. I absolutely love the guy who plays Lenny Bruce and it's not like I don't know Bruce's real-life fate but the scenes between them in the season finale were really great and quite poignant. 

I just watched Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off, and it was a really good documentary. Skateboarding was primarily what I did in my teens and early 20s, and I grew up watching the Bones Brigade videos. I had no idea that all of them were still skating now well into their 50s. My only real complaint with the documentary is that they barely talked about the Tony Hawk video games, but other than that it was about as good as it could be IMO.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:54 AM, Phaseknox said:

I just watched Tony Hawk: Until the Wheels Fall Off, and it was a really good documentary. Skateboarding was primarily what I did in my teens and early 20s, and I grew up watching the Bones Brigade videos. I had no idea that all of them were still skating now well into their 50s. My only real complaint with the documentary is that they barely talked about the Tony Hawk video games, but other than that it was about as good as it could be IMO.

There's a separate Tony Hawk documentary purely dedicated to the games, if you're interested in that aspect. It's called "Pretending I'm Superman: The Tony Hawk Video Game Story". I haven't seen it but it's supposed to be pretty good I hear.

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

Doubt: 7/10

I thought doubt was a rather ordinary film propelled by the strength of the acting that lives up to it's name. Meryl Streep plays a hard-ass nun and Philip Seymour Hoffman plays a priest who acts pretty chill. But we all know that if a priest acts cool he has to be a child molester right? Well that's where the doubt comes in. The movie doesn't really take a hard stance on the subject of priests abusing their altar boys, which may be confusing but I guess at the same time the sermon at the beginning sets the movie up to be that. But if the wishy washy nature of the movie brings it down the performance by the cast brings it up since everyone is quite good. Not much to say other than that.

On 4/15/2022 at 3:35 PM, Greatoneshere said:

There's a separate Tony Hawk documentary purely dedicated to the games, if you're interested in that aspect. It's called "Pretending I'm Superman: The Tony Hawk Video Game Story". I haven't seen it but it's supposed to be pretty good I hear.

I didn’t know that, I’m definitely going to check it out. Thanks.