~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

spacer.png

Hustle & Flow: 7/10

Back on that 2006 Academy Award tour, Hustle & Flow is one of those movies I had never seen. Hustle & Flow is a movie about a pimp that it got too hard out there so he decided to make music instead. The first half is DJay hustling and the second half is him flowing with his light skinned DJ. DJay is the type of person that lives in his own reality, basically the perfect role for Terrence Howard, as the only thing motivating him is finding his path to reunite with Skinny Black. As far as these types of movies go it felt relatively laid back, obviously there's that conflict at the end but I was thinking something more sinister would happen, like Skinny Black stealing his music, now that would be messed up! In any case it's cool to see Juicy J won an Oscar for something.

I really liked Hustle & Flow back when I watched it, I would probably give it an 8/10. I can’t believe that it’s been 17 years since it came out, it doesn’t seem that long ago. I’ve been wanting to watch it again, but unfortunately it’s not on any of the streaming services that I use.

Clear and Present Danger 8/10…

had the Ghost Recon but in film itch so I went back to this..  still a great movie with top level talent with various plots moving at once.. the plot is not simplistic but still easy enough to follow for a political thriller… its as good as Hunt for Red October and Harrison Fords Jack Ryan is always likeable…

I only wish it had higher than a PG-13 rating as some of the action is clearly toned down (its high quality but needs a little oomph for maximum impact), the only other complaint is that the plot forces Jack Ryan into the field so he could be present at the climax and it definitely feels forced…. 

We're All Going to the World's Fair - I watched this at 3AM when I couldn't sleep, which might have enhanced the experience. It's got some interesting ideas, a couple genuinely good creepy moments, but it also feels like a compelling short film stretched much too far (and even then it doesn't crack 90 minutes). I know Rotten Tomatoes scores don't matter, but right now it has a 93/29 critic/audience score, and that makes sense. 

Grimm - 4/10

Watched the whole series. It has a fun premise and takes place in my home town, but the acting/writing is honestly kind of terrible, the timeline makes less than no sense, and it has trouble with the escalation of stakes that all procedural shows face (they already start to recycle plot lines by season 3, season 4 unexpectedly becomes probably the best in the series towards the end).

Still, it's fun if you want to kill some time. Perfect for, say... an airplane @Keyser_Soze

but if you want to watch a supernatural procedural show, Fringe is much better. So is Lucifer, for that matter. For procedural shows done right in general, just watch House. That show basically perfected it. Now the genre is pretty much dead outside of like Blue Bloods, CSI: Bakersfield, and whatever Law & Order show is around these days.

• Shocked 1

Gone Baby Gone - 6/10

Supremely well-acted, and it dances with some pretty intense ideas, but it's also kind of narratively all over the place. I'm left feeling like the story needed to be tighter, but at the same time I wanted more fleshed out stories for the characters involved. It's a conundrum.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Gone Baby Gone - 6/10

Supremely well-acted, and it dances with some pretty intense ideas, but it's also kind of narratively all over the place. I'm left feeling like the story needed to be tighter, but at the same time I wanted more fleshed out stories for the characters involved. It's a conundrum.

Ooof, this movie floored me. A classic. It's not a showy film but it aches so good. 6/10 way low, but I get where you're coming from. Ben Affleck's directorial debut.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ooof, this movie floored me. A classic. It's not a showy film but it aches so good. 6/10 way low, but I get where you're coming from. Ben Affleck's directorial debut.

I get it, there's a lot to love about it. It's hard to pinpoint, it just didn't "flow" for me. And that's a nebulous, stupid thing that I wish I could expand more on, but I can't. I guess I just wish some of the characters were fleshed out more, and the pacing feels uneven (something Affleck completely nailed in The Town and Argo). And also 6/10 is still "good" for me. I did enjoy it.

I was also really tired when I watched it, and I've been learning more and more that your mood when you start a movie has a much larger effect on how you think of it than people realize. Like, if I'm in kind of a bad mood when I start a movie and the movie tries to be overly schmaltzy and cute, I'll fucking hate it. If I was having a chill day prior to that, I'd be much more predisposed for it.

• Thanks 1

Mood completely can change how you view a film. I learned this over years of picking films for people when we'd sit to watch stuff, with anyone. These days now I will ask what mood they are in or what genre they are in the mood for since I've shown some amazing movies but the person or people were completely put off simply because they weren't feeling the right mood going in.

I honestly think it determines a lot regarding one's enjoyment of a movie or show.

• True 1

36 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Mood completely can change how you view a film. I learned this over years of picking films for people when we'd sit to watch stuff, with anyone. These days now I will ask what mood they are in or what genre they are in the mood for since I've shown some amazing movies but the person or people were completely put off simply because they weren't feeling the right mood going in.

I honestly think it determines a lot regarding one's enjoyment of a movie or show.

mood can effect how you feel about everything, but I definitely see it with entertainment

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just keep in mind of Fizzle's mood. If it's on a plane, a 6/10 is a 10/10 and if he's not on a plane well the movie just plain sucks.

EDIT: I see what I did there but it was not intentional :whistlin:

• Guillotine 1
  • Haha 1

Life is Beautiful (1997) - 4/10

I can understand why this hit as hard as it did when it came out. Holocaust movies weren't really a thing that we had much of in the west, and in a lot of ways it basically is the polar opposite of Schindler's List, which came out only a few years prior. Schindler's List is not an easy watch, and is probably hard for a lot of people to get through even once. I hadn't seen Life is Beautiful since I was in middle school. Since this movie came out, we've seen The Pianist, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Band of Brothers, gained access to Come and See... this movie just feels like it came from a before time and its message is covered a lot better by a bunch of other people, and most of those are done a lot better on a technical level.

The movie is earnest, and there are beautiful moments in it, but it just doesn't hold up that well. From the overexaggerated acting, to the muted sound mixing, to the cinematography, you would be completely forgiven for thinking this movie was made in 1967, not 1997. 

Is it awful? No. Is it charming? Sure, at times. I just think, in 2022, 'who is this movie for?'

Julie & Julia - 7/10

I was so fucking ready to hate this movie. It is just straight 'white people shit.' I normally hate stories about white people shit. What do I mean when I say that? Basically stories about middle class/rich white people that have no real stakes and are only relatable to middle class/rich white people who are bored. Think movies like "Sideways" or "Eat Pray Love." Total fucking white people shit, and I have no interest in any of it.

That being said... Julie & Julia won me over. I was ready to turn it off after about 30 minutes (because it's white people shit), but it's just so goddamn charming. I couldn't help but watch the whole rest of the movie. Even Amy Adams won me over with her character, who basically represents everything I hate about the story (the central conflict of her character is simply that she doesn't like her job and doesn't know what to do with her life, and all of her friends are more successful than her. That's it. There's nothing more to it. That is the DEFINITION of a 'white people shit' plotline)

So, kudos to Nora Ephron, I guess, for making me thoroughly enjoy a movie I was reasonably certain I was going to think was trite garbage.

spacer.png

Cocktail: 7/10

Everyone worships Tom Cruise as some Mission Impossible action star but before all that he was a lady killer bartender. Fresh out of the army Tom Cruise is Brian Flanagan, looking to make a lot of money in New York City (in an early eerie scene he points to the twin towers and tells a boy he's going to live there 😰) but no one will hire someone with no experience or education. Instead of becoming a homeless person like most veterans he walks into a bar and becomes a bartender. Since he is a fast learner he quickly learns all bartending recipes  and how to flip flop bottles and dance at the same time. But his dreams of money turn into shagging chicks. So the lifelong question: Elisabeth Shue or Gina Gershon? In any case his only friend and former employer Doug Coughlin complicates his love life over and over but it's Coughlin's rules so you gotta respect it. In any case the guy who's been after money the whole time realizes he doesn't actually want money he just wants love, and I think that is a moral all of us can take away from life.

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Cocktail: 7/10

Everyone worships Tom Cruise as some Mission Impossible action star but before all that he was a lady killer bartender. Fresh out of the army Tom Cruise is Brian Flanagan, looking to make a lot of money in New York City (in an early eerie scene he points to the twin towers and tells a boy he's going to live there 😰) but no one will hire someone with no experience or education. Instead of becoming a homeless person like most veterans he walks into a bar and becomes a bartender. Since he is a fast learner he quickly learns all bartending recipes  and how to flip flop bottles and dance at the same time. But his dreams of money turn into shagging chicks. So the lifelong question: Elisabeth Shue or Gina Gershon? In any case his only friend and former employer Doug Coughlin complicates his love life over and over but it's Coughlin's rules so you gotta respect it. In any case the guy who's been after money the whole time realizes he doesn't actually want money he just wants love, and I think that is a moral all of us can take away from life.

Definitely a guilty pleasure 

spacer.png

He Is Psychometric (사이코메트리 그녀석): 8/10

He is Psychometric is a multi-threaded crime drama mostly revolving around individuals that had survived a disaster when they were young. Some time ago the main character, Lee Ahn, lost his parents in an Apartment fire. He was saved by another kid, Kang Sung Mo, who eventually became like a brother to him. A girl was also involved in this, Yoon Jae In, her father was framed for the fire (although it was never proven) and she had to live her life being bullied by being the daughter of a murderer. Lee Ahn developed an ability called Psychometrics, essentially reading other's memories through touching them or objects they had touched (think of Unbreakable in a way) however, early on his skills are under developed and he can't read the clues very well. In any case the show spans a long time period where we are introduced to the characters as well as going down the rabbit hole of who was behind the fire and other such tales. Overall I enjoyed it though I think it sort of is awkward at the beginning (they focus on the characters then warp ahead like 2 years) but it's a pretty long and twisted journey from point A to point  X Y Z, a lot of character development, etc.

spacer.png

Mother's Day: 6/10

Remember Rebecca De Mornay? Well here she is as a mother. Now I think the movie poster is a bit misleading. One would anticipate some sort of horror movie but it's basically one of those heist gone wrong type of movies. Three dudes are on the run, or trying to find a safe spot to lay low after a botched robbery. They are all brothers and one is badly wounded. So they go to a house they used to live in but has since been sold to someone else and then they are able to manage to keep like 8 or so people hostage (like 2 guys since one is wounded) and Rebecca De Mornay plays their mother, like a criminal mastermind who has her own laws (laws of family) that she abides by. The movie actually opens with a woman (that you'll probably figure out pretty quickly) kidnaps babies from a nursery. The movie's present is actually what these babies turned out to be, criminals raised by the mother. It certainly makes for a reason for the characters to exist and behave but in the long run it really didn't matter. There are a lot of other plot threads that pop up too, like the two main owners of the house, the husband is having an affair but again it's really to set up like a reveal that isn't as cool as it thinks it is. I'll say the gore effects are pretty good but overall this movie is full of people you'd rather see in another movie (like the girl from Step Up 2)

• Thanks 1

Gotham by Gaslight 7/10… not amazing but not broken Elseworld story of Batman vs Jack the Ripper.. as always its nice to see how the bat universe characters get placed in that time period.. A good story with a solid resolution, seeing an imperfect Batman is always great (heck the comics took that lesson from Dark Knight Rises and took Batmans money in the comics too)…

Additionally, I have enjoyed that many of the recent movies have gone ahead and included Catwoman as a big part of the story too (Long Halloween, Hush, etc)

• Halal 1

Fast Furious 9…. 4/10

This was bad, above all things it felt unnecessary.. like an Adam Sandler film where it exists just so Diesel and friends can play together… I enjoy the various movies and find something in each of them, this one lacks the “great character moments” that get me to watch.. the action moments finally reached Transformers territory (as in “spectacular” action with no investment is just flash with no substance)….

The vanity of Vin Diesel was on display in Fast 8, its full out of control here (at least Statham and the Rocks presence saved enough Fast 8)…

They should have stopped after 7, it managed to close out the Brian character and was a solid flick in the same vein as Fast 5.

I dread to imagine how they intend to escalate for Fast X

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, EternallDarkness said:

Love and Monsters wow great monster designs!

I really liked that movie.

1 hour ago, 5timechamp said:

Fast Furious 9…. 4/10

This was bad, above all things it felt unnecessary.. like an Adam Sandler film where it exists just so Diesel and friends can play together… I enjoy the various movies and find something in each of them, this one lacks the “great character moments” that get me to watch.. the action moments finally reached Transformers territory (as in “spectacular” action with no investment is just flash with no substance)….

The vanity of Vin Diesel was on display in Fast 8, its full out of control here (at least Statham and the Rocks presence saved enough Fast 8)…

They should have stopped after 7, it managed to close out the Brian character and was a solid flick in the same vein as Fast 5.

I dread to imagine how they intend to escalate for Fast X

I just realized that I haven’t seen a Fast & Furious movie since 6, I have some catching up to do.

Dr Strange 2-  8/10, went in low expectations as not a big Dr Strange fan but was curious to see Sam Raimis style applied to a Marvel movie.. It was a solid show E. Olsen as always is great and dependable.. the “cameos” were enjoyable and welcome (it helps once you get used to the idea that any Marvel fan service or cameo will be bare minimum at most)…

Honestly the most unexpectedly enjoyable aspect was peeking behind the general invulnerability of Dr Strange, it was a great move for the character..

The “major” issue as always lies with the idea that you have an unstoppable force attacking you and the way the narrative twists and turns to try and justify the protagonists surviving the onslaught.

Spoiler

As nice as it was to see Patrick Stewart, his presence was lessened by just how tired and old he appeared… it was noticeable in the cadence of his speaking…. not his fault but it was quite pronounced

…. Also an odd choice for a mothers day film

spacer.png

Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid - 8/10

I was under the impression that this anime was about lesbian mermaids but I was wrong! In this time period girls are infected by the "armed" virus and because they are a threat to society they are blasted out to this island protected by a force field called Mermaid. The island is inhabited by all women, ruled by a male leader known as the Governor (but if you believe this is a woman for one second well I don't know what to tell you). There are two types of girls Extars and Liberators. When two girls have sexy time the Extars turn into a weapon and the liberators are the ones who can wield them.

So boobs and nudity are a very large part of the show. Heck a person in the credits is known as "giant breast producer" and the director Hiraku Kaneko prior to this had done The Qwaser of Stigmata which is possibly on par with this in terms of lewdness if not more. But, there are a good variety of boobs here so that's nice I guess. The rest is animated fairly well, the characters look alright (obviously most of the attention was paid to the boobs). The story is fairly silly and lighthearted but as the lore and story starts unfolding it becomes more compelling. The final episode is probably better than it deserves to be, so if you can manage to make it to the end (only 12 episodes). I feel like the 12 episodes is satisfying enough, however, I think more episodes deserve to be made. It feels like this was some huge undertaking. This anime was part of three tiered project known as "Valkyrie Drive Project" that included this anime, a video game and a mobile game so it seems kind of strange to leave it at this especially with how the end sets up.

Now I'm sure most of you are going to ask, "Why the hell did you watch this?" Well, I like to see how far people can push the envelope and I think this one is a gentle breeze away from being a hentai. This is certainly not a show for everyone but I feel like if you know what you're getting into going in you'll have an enjoyable time.

• Thanks 1