~Rate The Last Movie/TV Show You Watched Thread~

Da Vinci's Demons - 6/10

I love me a good bit of historical fantasy. It's mostly pulpy garbage (as is the case with most Starz shows), but it's a lot of fun. I do like that they incorporate a lot of actual historical elements. Most of the characters are based on real people, who all (minus a couple exceptions) WERE all in the same place at roughly the same time, so it plays with that idea, which I love. There's even a spot at the beginning of season 2 that corresponds to a point in Da Vinci's life where he just kind of disappeared for a couple years. I can appreciate that kind of attention to detail.

The thing that saves this show is that it doesn't go full-on fantasy soap opera ala True Blood. It kind of goes halfway there.

All in all, it's kind of dumb. And you can definitely tell that the 3rd season is rushing through a bunch of shit that they probably planned on having play out over more time. But, at least they got some kind of conclusion, which is more than a lot of shows get.

Still, it's fun.

Side note: People wearing leather in historical dramas is a pretty common thing across every TV/movie I've ever seen. They even do it in 'Vikings,' which roughly takes place in the 9th century. Leather was used for shoes and for armor, and other actually useful applications. You wouldn't be strolling around in Florence in the 15th century and see someone walking around in a leather jacket. That is still hundreds of years away.

• Thanks 1

Final Destination - 4/10

You can see the possibilities of the premise, but it's just too... bland? Give it up for Devon Sawa, though, he's a throwback and a half.

Final Destination 2 - 6/10

This is when they really start to just have fun with the premise. The kills are inventive, surprising, and memorable. You kind of even care about the characters a little bit, since they do have like at least a little bit of depth. They're still mostly like 80% wooden stereotypes, but there's the barest hint of character in a few of them.

First 3 movies in the franchise, I have to say, the early-00's drip is magnificent. Low-rise boot cut jeans, feathered hair, cargo pants... gotta love it *chef's kiss*. The third one even has girls wearing those Juicy valour tracksuit things with the whale tail hanging out. Also one thing in common between the first 2 movies is the score is obnoxious and the cinematography is just kind of... bad. But we don't watch shit like Final Destination for that, do we? That's like complaining that Dali's clocks weren't realistic enough.

• Thanks 1

Final Destination 3 - 6/10

I think Final Destination 2/3 were like "peak" Final Destination.

The Final Destination (2009) - 2/10

You know what? I'm beginning to think that Final Destination just doesn't work without that mid-2000's drip. Without all the tramp stamps, boot cut jeans, whale tails, cargo pants, feathered haircuts, bulky risk accessories, bad music, and obnoxious camera angles, it just doesn't have the same je ne sais quois. It's just kind of sad. The first 3 FInal Destination movies are perfect "watch with your friends and have a great time" kind of bad, the 4th one is just not fun. Plus they started to use a lot more obvious CGI for the death scenes, which also takes the fun out of it a bit.. That makes me not very hopeful for the new Final Destination movie.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Final Destination 3 - 6/10

I think Final Destination 2/3 were like "peak" Final Destination.

The Final Destination (2009) - 2/10

You know what? I'm beginning to think that Final Destination just doesn't work without that mid-2000's drip. Without all the tramp stamps, boot cut jeans, whale tails, cargo pants, feathered haircuts, bulky risk accessories, bad music, and obnoxious camera angles, it just doesn't have the same je ne sais quois. It's just kind of sad. The first 3 FInal Destination movies are perfect "watch with your friends and have a great time" kind of bad, the 4th one is just not fun. Plus they started to use a lot more obvious CGI for the death scenes, which also takes the fun out of it a bit.. That makes me not very hopeful for the new Final Destination movie.

The CGI I think looks worse because they really geared the 4th movie for the 3D theatre craze. So the CGI seems more out there to help sell the 3D grossness. The 5th one does a much better job and one of the better opening grand death scenes. The movie is actually used in engineering classes for show what would happen during a suspension bridge collapse. Apparently they did that good of a job in showing how things would fall apart during a catastrophic failure. Which makes it even scarier to think that, shit this could really happen.

Spoiler

Diario_de_una_Ninfomana_poster.jpg

Diary of a Nymphomaniac: 6/10 - You might be asking why this movie? Why now in 2022? There's never been a better time to be a Nymphomaniac! But the real reason is, this is another Filmax joint (Not to be confused with the Lars von Trier movie). There was no assistance from Fantastic Factory on this one it's an artsy independent (IFC) film produced by  Filmax. It follows the life of a woman who just wants to have sex pretty much, the guys can't keep up. But someone tames the Arabian horse and stuff happens among other things. It's a dramatic yet unsurprising journey. The acting is fine but I feel like this movie just lacks the gravitas and atmosphere you'd feel from a movie with a bigger budget. It's fine, you'll see Belén Fabra naked a lot but I don't think you'll walk away feeling incredibly moved.

14 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Reveal hidden contents

Diary of a Nymphomaniac: 6/10 - You might be asking why this movie? Why now in 2022? There's never been a better time to be a Nymphomaniac! But the real reason is, this is another Filmax joint (Not to be confused with the Lars von Trier movie). There was no assistance from Fantastic Factory on this one it's an artsy independent (IFC) film produced by  Filmax. It follows the life of a woman who just wants to have sex pretty much, the guys can't keep up. But someone tames the Arabian horse and stuff happens among other things. It's a dramatic yet unsurprising journey. The acting is fine but I feel like this movie just lacks the gravitas and atmosphere you'd feel from a movie with a bigger budget. It's fine, you'll see Belén Fabra naked a lot but I don't think you'll walk away feeling incredibly moved.

Pervert 

6 hours ago, elbobo said:

as with a lot of showtime series it goes on about 6 seasons to far

I remember watching season 1 when it initially aired in 2011. That was over 10 years ago! I had no idea it only ended last year. Unbelievable but I'm sure it drags out too long. I'm only on season 2. 

spacer.png

Alone in the Dark (1882): 7/10 - Although I haven't played the video games I'm pretty sure this movie has nothing to do with the games as it predates them for a number of years. Alone in the Dark is (Philadelphia's own) Jack Sholder's directorial debut. If you've been paying attention he directed Beeper, Arachnid and Renegades (that I watched previously). It's interesting, with the exception of Arachnid his movies have a decent amount of star power in them. In fact this movie is loaded. It's got Jack Palance, Martin Landau and Donald Pleasence in it. Also to @Komusha's delight it has an obese man, Erland Van Lidth, playing an obese mentally disturbed pedophile. (Sadly this guy passed away from heart failure at the age of 34 🌹)

Now the movie reminds me of a con-air prototype in a way. It follows a Dr. Potter who begins work at a minimum security mental facility. He's replacing another doctor who had gone to another job. Now there are some psychopaths known as the "patients on the 3rd floor" who are basically the most dangerous criminals, killers, pedos, etc.They are convinced the new doctor killed the old doctor and would like to kill the new doctor, the only barrier to accomplish this is escaping the prison. So one night during a concert from a band called "The Sick Fucks" there is a black out and since the hospital uses electrical locks the patients are able to escape and their journey to get the doctor begins.

I think it's an interesting movie. It's a movie that tries to be smart while having dumb things happen at the same time. For instance (minor spoilers) Early on a guard tells the doctor these guys want to kill him, so the doctor knows. So later on in the movie when they attack him he finally connects the dots, but way past the point of a normal person to realize, especially when it's fresh on the audiences' mind. Also, I think it should be somewhat commended for taking the criminalization and rehabilitation in another direction. I recall watching my bloody valentine earlier and thinking this guy got no help and was declared a monster. In this movie these guys have issues and there is a doctor who believes he can help them and maybe they can. Also, would like to point out how cool it is to see a normal person hesitate to stab another person. You almost never see this in a movie. It's just like, "ok I'll stab em!"

In any case Alone in the Dark is a star packed slasher that is different from many other slashers. As far as Jack Sholder movies go probably one of his better ones.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Alone in the Dark (1882): 7/10 - Although I haven't played the video games I'm pretty sure this movie has nothing to do with the games as it predates them for a number of years. Alone in the Dark is (Philadelphia's own) Jack Sholder's directorial debut. If you've been paying attention he directed Beeper, Arachnid and Renegades (that I watched previously). It's interesting, with the exception of Arachnid his movies have a decent amount of star power in them. In fact this movie is loaded. It's got Jack Palance, Martin Landau and Donald Pleasence in it. Also to @Komusha's delight it has an obese man, Erland Van Lidth, playing an obese mentally disturbed pedophile. (Sadly this guy passed away from heart failure at the age of 34 🌹)

Now the movie reminds me of a con-air prototype in a way. It follows a Dr. Potter who begins work at a minimum security mental facility. He's replacing another doctor who had gone to another job. Now there are some psychopaths known as the "patients on the 3rd floor" who are basically the most dangerous criminals, killers, pedos, etc.They are convinced the new doctor killed the old doctor and would like to kill the new doctor, the only barrier to accomplish this is escaping the prison. So one night during a concert from a band called "The Sick Fucks" there is a black out and since the hospital uses electrical locks the patients are able to escape and their journey to get the doctor begins.

I think it's an interesting movie. It's a movie that tries to be smart while having dumb things happen at the same time. For instance (minor spoilers) Early on a guard tells the doctor these guys want to kill him, so the doctor knows. So later on in the movie when they attack him he finally connects the dots, but way past the point of a normal person to realize, especially when it's fresh on the audiences' mind. Also, I think it should be somewhat commended for taking the criminalization and rehabilitation in another direction. I recall watching my bloody valentine earlier and thinking this guy got no help and was declared a monster. In this movie these guys have issues and there is a doctor who believes he can help them and maybe they can. Also, would like to point out how cool it is to see a normal person hesitate to stab another person. You almost never see this in a movie. It's just like, "ok I'll stab em!"

In any case Alone in the Dark is a star packed slasher that is different from many other slashers. As far as Jack Sholder movies go probably one of his better ones.

Pretty good slasher minus the "electric door unlock"

• True 1

spacer.png

Paper Moon (1973) - 9.5/10

Sadly don't have time for that many words on this right now but I thought this was an endearing, beautiful and great film. It's one of those movies that made me miss its characters for days after and I'm still thinking about it. It makes me want to know more about some of the side characters that fade in and out of its story. I recently rewatched Days Of Heaven and this kind of reminded me of the lighter side of that. 

Also, this is one of the most gorgeous movies I've seen in a while. I've rarely seen a movie that looks so convincingly of its era, at least to my untrained eyes I guess. The big skies, the sparse and run-down interiors and the frequent painterly closeups of the actors' faces give this a really distinct look. 

I can't think of a negative here really, it's a fantastic film that I'll be thinking about for some time I think.  

• Like 1

Racked up another two absolute bangers recently. 

In the Heat of the Night (1967) - 9/10

When Sidney Poitier died I knew I needed to finally watch this. It had been one of those monumental films in history that made an impact and it had been on my list. I just never got around to it. I'm very glad I watched it and I really enjoyed this film. 

Sidney Poitier was a fantastic actor andhe had a smoldering power in every scene to his performance. Rod Steiger as his foil was great as well. Some scenes were nothing short of shocking in how the movie portrayed the racial attitudes and expressions. As good as a film as this is, I think it probably goes beyond just being enjoyable and a great piece of art--it's important too.

Part of what I enjoyed so much was the cinematography. The great Haskell Wexler changed the entire lighting thought process in order to appropriately light dark skin. Because of it, the film just LOOKS fantastic. And in doing so, I'm guessing that Wexler changed the course of cinematography then and there. 

Rashomon (1950) - 9/10

Continuing on with my trip through Kurosawa's best, I watched this one yesterday. 

I like the frame story and the depictions of the different testimonies from each point of view. I wasn't so into the Medium's story because I don't buy that nonsense :p but I can see the characters giving it equal (or more) weight. But the Medium's sequence was awesome. It was really creepy! Especially with her manic movements and the overdubbed/modulated voice she used. 

At the end, however, I kinda lost the intent behind the message. I will probably need to watch this one again. I was more invested in finding out WHAT happened than what it meant that all the stories were different. But once I got it, I drew parallels from the story told and the life we're all living in. Times are hard. People are looking out for themselves. They will do whatever they will and justify it however they can. Everyone has their truth, regardless of the facts. But outside of the selfish motivations we have in how we move through the world, we've got to maintain our humanity and act in service of others. 

One of Kurosawa's absolute best. I understand why it's spoken so highly of. 

All of Us Are Dead - 5/10

It's... fine, I guess.

I cried a couple times, but that's not exactly a high bar for me, I cry for damn near everything. I'm a serial cryer. Crier? However you spell that. The one that is about tears and not shouting local news at passers by.

I don't know what it is with Koreans and zombies lately and maybe there's a discussion to be had with South Korea being the ultimate example of late stage capitalism that is expressing itself through its TV shows, but I'm not here to talk about that.

The ending definitely does hint at a second season, but it has not been renewed yet.

Uh... watch it if you're bored, I guess? I wouldn't say it's required viewing by any means. The cinematography is borderline obnoxious at times, but the characters are typically really well written. But yeah, don't feel bad about skipping it.

spacer.png

Memories: 9/10

Back when this came out in 1995 I was pretty much new to anime so the names attached to this were meaningless to me. It wasn't until decades later that I could understand  the magnitude of what was released and exactly what I was missing out on. Memories is a collection of three animated shorts. The first one, Magnetic Rose was written by the great Satoshi Kon, and the music written by Yoko Kanno. This had been a blind spot for me regarding his work because I'm pretty sure the DVD went out of print.

However, just recently they released it on blu-ray, but it's not just a re-release it's a restoration. A company called Discotek Media poured a lot of work into this. Not only did they clean up the image but the re-wrote and recorded the English dub for the movie (which I did not listen to but am tempted to do so now) - What is remarkable is that not only did they put the restored version on the disc but they put the original version on the disc too in case you prefer that look. This is rarely seen for an anime release so I was quite impressed. There are even a couple of special features on the disc that go into the making of the dub and a short feature on how they restored it. I will certainly be looking forward to more from these guys (which appears they already are doing and have restored a lot of classic anime already)

As for Magnetic Rose, I think it's quite awesome. Satoshi Kon has never done a sci-fi space thing before, except I guess he did it here, before he directed his own movies. It certainly oozes his signature style, his blurring of reality and dreams/thoughts. 

The other two shorts are pretty cool as well. The second Stink Bomb is animated by madhouse and directed by Tensai Okamura, who went on to do Wolf's Rain. Its a kind of silly tale about a top secret bio weapon.

The last one from Otomo is one perverse long take, Cannon Fodder. It's about some sort of future totalitarian city that basically exist to power a huge gun that fires out somewhere. Everyone in the city works to load the gun, make the ammunition, etc. and that's life. If @Commissar SFLUFANwere ever to watch an Anime this would be the one that would get his juices flowing.

And if this was your first anime, and they almost say it as much in the special features, this would be a good place to start. With all the special care that was poured into this remaster I would recommend everyone check it out.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Back when this came out in 1995 I was pretty much new to anime so the names attached to this were meaningless to me. It wasn't until decades later that I could understand  the magnitude of what was released and exactly what I was missing out on. Memories is a collection of three animated shorts. The first one, Magnetic Rose was written by the great Satoshi Kon, and the music written by Yoko Kanno. This had been a blind spot for me regarding his work because I'm pretty sure the DVD went out of print.

However, just recently they released it on blu-ray, but it's not just a re-release it's a restoration. A company called Discotek Media poured a lot of work into this. Not only did they clean up the image but the re-wrote and recorded the English dub for the movie (which I did not listen to but am tempted to do so now) - What is remarkable is that not only did they put the restored version on the disc but they put the original version on the disc too in case you prefer that look. This is rarely seen for an anime release so I was quite impressed. There are even a couple of special features on the disc that go into the making of the dub and a short feature on how they restored it. I will certainly be looking forward to more from these guys (which appears they already are doing and have restored a lot of classic anime already)

As for Magnetic Rose, I think it's quite awesome. Satoshi Kon has never done a sci-fi space thing before, except I guess he did it here, before he directed his own movies. It certainly oozes his signature style, his blurring of reality and dreams/thoughts. 

The other two shorts are pretty cool as well. The second Stink Bomb is animated by madhouse and directed by Tensai Okamura, who went on to do Wolf's Rain. Its a kind of silly tale about a top secret bio weapon.

The last one from Otomo is one perverse long take, Cannon Fodder. It's about some sort of future totalitarian city that basically exist to power a huge gun that fires out somewhere. Everyone in the city works to load the gun, make the ammunition, etc. and that's life. If @Commissar SFLUFANwere ever to watch an Anime this would be the one that would get his juices flowing.

And if this was your first anime, and they almost say it as much in the special features, this would be a good place to start. With all the special care that was poured into this remaster I would recommend everyone check it out.

This one blew my everloving mind. 

Magnetic Rose and Stink Bomb were the standouts for me. The 90s were a grand time for anime. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

spacer.png

Never heard of this but that cover art is super cool. Wonder if this is available to stream/rent anywhere in this restoration quality?

• True 1

spacer.png

Castle in the Sky: 8/10

When it comes to Miyazaki films, I feel like no one mentions this one or at least they don't anymore. I think it carries he signature style, full of whimsy but maybe a little raunchy with guns and pirates and stuff. Storywise I think it avoids cliches and in fact throws you for a loop narrative wise early on. The animation looks like classic Ghibli and for 1986 still looks pretty good. They had super duper cloud technology back then. And my apologies to Mr. Van Der Beek but I did not watch the dub. 🙏

Watched the first episode of Reacher.  I've read about a dozen of the Reacher novels, including the one this debut season is based on.  I'd say at least initially, it looks like the adaptation is pretty accurate.  This guy definitely fits the book description of Reacher, something the Tom Cruise movies were always criticized for.

Black Bear- I like watching Aubrey Plaza do something different, but I don’t think the movie really worked for me overall. It’s almost like a mumblecore thriller, which seems really hard to pull off, but I appreciate the effort. 

Pig - I like it when Nic Cage takes a break from being a living meme and does some real work. Interesting look at the Portland food scene, which I can only imagine is 100% accurate. 

Lamb - Just kidding. I didn’t watch this, just wanted to list a third recent animal movie title. 

• Shocked 1