Mueller Season 3: The End Game

4 minutes ago, silentbob said:

He can’t be in bed with Russia. . . .there’s pee on it

Just a reminder that "but where would he have slept afterward?" is an actual Fox News defense/justification for why the idea of the pee pee tape is ludicrous.

Or he allowed Russia to bypass US sanctions on Iranian oil, which OPEC was expecting to be taken off the market and increased production to make up for the loss, leading to a massive oversupply, combined with the fear that we're on the edge of an economic slow down that would result in less oil used.

I've long felt it likely that Trump was effectively working on behalf of the Russians, but that he himself wasn't smart enough to understand that he was. They just convinced him that what they wanted was actually what he wanted. That might still be true, but especially given the Post story about his meetings with Putin, even if that is the case, he clearly understands that he shouldn't be caught working with them. He might still be delusional enough to think he has the upper hand, that he's in control of the situation, but such ignorance is in no way vindicating.

1 hour ago, TwinIon said:

I've long felt it likely that Trump was effectively working on behalf of the Russians, but that he himself wasn't smart enough to understand that he was. They just convinced him that what they wanted was actually what he wanted. That might still be true, but especially given the Post story about his meetings with Putin, even if that is the case, he clearly understands that he shouldn't be caught working with them. He might still be delusional enough to think he has the upper hand, that he's in control of the situation, but such ignorance is in no way vindicating.

That is the very definition of "The Useful Idiot", a role Trump fits PERFECTLY. He's no doubt compromised,  probably financially through his dealings with Russians starting in the early 2000's until recently.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That is the very definition of "The Useful Idiot", a role Trump fits PERFECTLY. He's no doubt compromised,  probably financially through his dealings with Russians starting in the early 2000's until recently.

He's definitely financially compromised. His idiot sons literally said on air that most of their money comes from Eastern Europe.

Question I’ve been contemplating lately—if the Mueller investigation ends up being inconclusive, does it end up working in Trump’s favor?  It gets his base riled up, he gets to play the ‘underdog’ or ‘outsider‘ card despite being an incumbent, and people who don’t know what to think feel he’s been thoroughly ‘vetted’ and will vote for ‘the devil you know’ rather than the new guy you don’t?

1 hour ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Question I’ve been contemplating lately—if the Mueller investigation ends up being inconclusive, does it end up working in Trump’s favor?  It gets his base riled up, he gets to play the ‘underdog’ or ‘outsider‘ card despite being an incumbent, and people who don’t know what to think feel he’s been thoroughly ‘vetted’ and will vote for ‘the devil you know’ rather than the new guy you don’t?

It doesn't matter. Every single person had made up their mind about Trump. He'd have to be "kill a man in front of a judge in broad daylight in the middle of open court" guilty and it might move the needle just a little, tiny bit. The Romney's and Flake's of the world will furrow their brows a little harder and maybe even write an oped but do nothing else.

What's upsetting is that, should Trump not have actually worked with Russia, which I still think is completely plausible (though the recent NYT article shows that everything we've been concerned about -- asking Russia to hack Hillary, the softened RNC platform, praising Putin -- is stuff the FBI ALSO was concerned about), the best case scenario is that he doesn't understand when he's being played and used.

That's not reassuring either.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

What's upsetting is that, should Trump not have actually worked with Russia, which I still think is completely plausible (though the recent NYT article shows that everything we've been concerned about -- asking Russia to hack Hillary, the softened RNC platform, praising Putin -- is stuff the FBI ALSO was concerned about), the best case scenario is that he doesn't understand when he's being played and used.

That's not reassuring either.

For sure. Trump is doing "better" than Putin could have hoped regardless of whether Trump is intentionally complicit.

43 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

RG0BS1U.gif

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

This may be the first move to acclimating the public to incoming news that Trump knew about it all. 

"Trump said he never colluded. He never said he didn't know that other people in the campaign colluded."

Even as I type that I can't decide if I am joking or not. It sounds like a joke, but it also sounds super fucking probable.

• Like 1