The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

Just now, Anathema- said:

I'm not quite as cynical as to say that Flake refusing to vote kavanaugh to the floor is the same as voting to confirm.  By doing what he's done he's covered his flank (by voting aye out of committee) but orchestrated a situation by which if he doesn't stick to his word he'll be in for a thousand times the treatment that caused him to back off today.  He invited political pressure if he caved.  Not a guarantee by any means but that's why I'm not as cynical.  Not AS cynical.  Still deeply skeptical it will amount to anything in the end.

Still; the way the hearings have gone it seems the most likely thing is that kavanaugh's story isn't going to hold up to even the thinnest investigation and his poll numbers have tanked in the past couple days after already being underwater.  Waiting a week for an investigation could spur him to withdraw before the investigation is finished.

Very true. If he doesn't stick to his word for the Senate floor vote, he'll probably be voted out of office!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Reminder: the Democrats could have prevented the vote by just staying out of the room.

3 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Gotta preserve those norms though. Surely Republicans would have done the same!

As we discussed in Discord, we totally forgot that the Committee is really nothing more than a recommendation.

Had the Democrats stayed out of the room, Mitch could've brought the nomination directly to the Senate floor for a vote.

1 minute ago, SFLUFAN said:

As we discussed in Discord, we totally forgot that the Committee is really nothing more than a recommendation.

Had the Democrats stayed out of the room, Mitch could've brought the nomination directly to the Senate floor for a vote.

As someone who hasn't followed the history of Senate committee procedures, is that another norm Turtle destroyed, or was that gone long before his tenure?

10 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Very true. If he doesn't stick to his word for the Senate floor vote, he'll probably be voted out of office!

You think Jeff Flake, with all his talk, isn't trying to parlay to another elective office? Look at how people like Corker folded; that's how you act when you're getting out of politics. Jeff is still trying to please moderates. There's a reason.

3 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

You think Jeff Flake, with all his talk, isn't trying to parlay to another elective office? Look at how people like Corker folded; that's how you act when you're getting out of politics. Jeff is still trying to please moderates. There's a reason.

This is true, but he also wants this seat filled by Trump. Fortunately the media is complicit in his games so he can get the seat filled and have even liberal folks patting him on the back.

5 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Fair enough.

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is true, but he also wants this seat filled by Trump. Fortunately the media is complicit in his games so he can get the seat filled and have even liberal folks patting him on the back.

Absolutely he's trying to find a way forward, he's open about that. He said explicitly that he wanted to delay for an investigation so that at least the democrats couldn't say there wasn't one.

11 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Absolutely he's trying to find a way forward, he's open about that. He said explicitly that he wanted to delay for an investigation so that at least the democrats couldn't say there wasn't one.

But the investigation will not happen, because Trump would have to open it. Flake knows this, and that is why his interest in one is fake.

20 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

But the investigation will not happen, because Trump would have to open it. Flake knows this, and that is why his interest in one is fake.

And if it doesn't happen then he's invited even more pressure on him and a couple other senators. It could make them more likely to dig in.

Again, I get the reasons to be cynical and I'm cautious as well but don't let cynicism rule your life.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don't think it’s cynical per se to expect a person to maintain their track record of behavior, but I agree with the sentiment.

I think it's cynical when someone treats their skepticism as fact when there's at least some evidence to the contrary. Again, I'm skeptical too but we're not seeing a process that is barreling toward a certain confirmation. Nearly certain maybe, but not completely certain.

And let's look at what happened; flake was a certain yes in the morning and then two women bit his fucking head off and he blinked. If those two women allowed their cynicism to defeat them that never would have happened and we would have already had a preening congratulatory speech from McConnell but that's clearly not where we're at. 

I won't allow myself hope, yet, but I won't let cynicism take me or anyone else down.

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

I think it's cynical when someone treats their skepticism as fact when there's at least some evidence to the contrary. Again, I'm skeptical too but we're not seeing a process that is barreling toward a certain confirmation. Nearly certain maybe, but not completely certain.

And let's look at what happened; flake was a certain yes in the morning and then two women bit his fucking head off and he blinked. If those two women allowed their cynicism to defeat them that never would have happened and we would have already had a preening congratulatory speech from McConnell but that's clearly not where we're at. 

I won't allow myself hope, yet, but I won't let cynicism take me or anyone else down.

Too late for me.

4 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I’ve missed you :)

10 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

So now we get an investigation that doesn't even last long enough to check with all of the witnesses, and then Collins and Murkowski will have the cover they need to confirm him. "the FBI didn't turn up anything!" ..."in the week we allowed them to do a months-long investigation."

#actually a week is quite a lot of time

Even just a few days would be a lot. The FBI has a lot of investigators.

Why is this even an issue? President stupid should just change his nomination to someone who doesn’t bring in all this drama. Hell he should look to see if he can find a conservative female judge. Aren’t all of the female judges on the bench currently liberal? Are the republicans such pussies that their go to group are a bunch white men or something?

2 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Why is this even an issue? President stupid should just change his nomination to someone who doesn’t bring in all this drama. Hell he should look to see if he can find a conservative female judge. Aren’t all of the female judges on the bench currently liberal? Are the republicans such pussies that their go to group are a bunch white men or something?

Yes.