The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

2 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Why is this even an issue? President stupid should just change his nomination to someone who doesn’t bring in all this drama. Hell he should look to see if he can find a conservative female judge. Aren’t all of the female judges on the bench currently liberal? Are the republicans such pussies that their go to group are a bunch white men or something?

This is the crazy part, theres literally no reason to stick to Kavanaugh who is absolutely not winning them female voters which seem poised to send a large number of house GOPers home.  So they don't get him installed for the next session, they'll still have a lifer on the court.

2 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Why is this even an issue? President stupid should just change his nomination to someone who doesn’t bring in all this drama. Hell he should look to see if he can find a conservative female judge. Aren’t all of the female judges on the bench currently liberal? Are the republicans such pussies that their go to group are a bunch white men or something?

Because President Stupid loves the drama. Especially when it makes for good TV. I mean he must be thrill to hear the TV ratings for the hearing were good. 

Just now, HGLatinBoy said:

He likes the drama

Yes they are such pussies

4 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Theyre still mad at Sandra Day O’Conner

5 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Fear over losing the Senate.

Also many of the GOP senators are getting exactly what they want with Kavanaugh so don't want to give him up.

Also he's Trump's get out of jail card.

7 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

Obama nominees Sonia and Elena.

Trump nominees Neil and Brett.

GOP in a nutshell.

10 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

He’ll help kill Roe v Wade and thinks the POTUS is unindictable, the GOP will walk though fire to get him on the bench.

13 minutes ago, HGLatinBoy said:

A female conservative judge was supposedly #2 on the list.

33 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

#actually a week is quite a lot of time

Even just a few days would be a lot. The FBI has a lot of investigators.

Is the FBI that agile? While I don't doubt they have a lot of manpower, I would expect that there is a startup cost for a new investigation, and I would think that would eat a few days on its own, irrespective of manpower.

But, I know very little about how the FBI is managed and operates.

2 minutes ago, legend said:

Is the FBI that agile? While I don't doubt they have a lot of manpower, I would expect that there is a startup cost for a new investigation, and I would think that would eat a few days on its own, irrespective of manpower.

The FBI has branches almost everywhere, if its made a priority they can cover a lot of ground fast.

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

The FBI has branches almost everywhere, if its made a priority they can cover a lot of ground fast.

Okay, but that doesn't really answer my question :p Lots of man power/batches/etc. doesn't mean low latency. So if the conclusion is "they have low latency because they have lots of man power" I don't think that pushes through. If we know they have low latency for other reasons, fair enough. But that's what I'm asking.

4 minutes ago, legend said:

The allegations in regards to witnesses are pretty narrow such that it should be fairly easy for the FBI to contact and interview those who could give sworn statements of their knowledge or lackthereof.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The allegations in regards to witnesses are pretty narrow such that it should be fairly easy for the FBI to contact and interview those who could give sworn statements of their knowledge or lackthereof.

Is there any reason to worry that some of the important witnesses would "just happen to be" unavailable for interview within the timeline? 

Less than half a dozen witnesses, matters are already public record, the investigation doesn't need to be restarted only reopened. 

As far as per se "agility" I would assume (although I think it's a fair one) that the FBI is prepared already so that they can hit the ground running as soon as they're asked. This is one of the most important things they would have to do. 

• Thanks 1

They just need to dig up a bunch of his old classmates and grill them about his general demeanor during that era. 

It sounds like it shouldn't be hard to prove that he did indeed drink to excess and harass women if he did those things. It should also be easy to establish what boofing, devils triangle and Renete(sp?) Alumnus actual means.

Prove that stuff and you prove he's committed purjury.

It's not rocket science. They will never be able to prove whether he did or did not assault Blasey Ford.

2 minutes ago, ort said:

They just need to dig up a bunch of his old classmates and grill them about his general demeanor during that era. 

It sounds like it shouldn't be hard to prove that he did indeed drink to excess and harass women if he did those things. It should also be easy to establish what boofing, devils triangle and Renete(sp?) Alumnus actual means.

It's not rocket science. They will never be able to prove whether he did or did not assault Blasey Ford.

Yep. There is no value in investigating the sexual assault.

It’s all about his high school and college culture.

7 minutes ago, legend said:

Is there any reason to worry that some of the important witnesses would "just happen to be" unavailable for interview within the timeline? 

When it comes to an investigation like this the FBI will make sure you're available. Like, show up unannounced at your work and go to your boss and tell them they need your presence. Or they'll find you at your beach house (regular reporters tracked down Mark Judge).

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ort said:

Good luck proving he perceived those things that way, which is necessary to proving perjury.

Just now, osxmatt said:

Yep. There is no value in investigating the sexual assault.

I don't know about that; if Mark Judge was a good liar they'd have put him under oath. The abject fear of Kavanaugh regarding oath bound testimony from Judge alone would be enough of a matter to interview him.

2 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

I don't know about that; if Mark Judge was a good liar they'd have put him under oath. The abject fear of Kavanaugh regarding oath bound testimony from Judge alone would be enough of a matter to interview him.

Oh Judge should absolutely be interviewed.

2 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

I dunno, I imagine most of the people the FBI would want to talk to are pretty affluent, if they want to disappear for a week I'd imagine it'd be easy for them. 

Most people aren’t going to lie when the FBI shows up and asks them where their friend or family member is at.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Most people aren’t going to lie when the FBI shows up and asks them where their friend or family member is at.

But still, people can't be compelled to give testimony or answer any questions without a Grand Jury subpoena so if the person doesn't want to volunteer information they can tell FBI agents to pound sand.

6 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

But still, people can't be compelled to give testimony or answer any questions without a Grand Jury subpoena so if the person doesn't want to volunteer information they can tell FBI agents to pound sand.

I would assume the Judiciary Committee has subpoena power should they choose to exercise it.

If he routinely behaved as Blasey Ford claims he did... he probably has a lot of people who don't like him... maybe they don't like him enough to go testify in front of the entire world or put there life on the line, but if an FBI agent knocks on there door, they might give up the goods.

That area of town has a lot of liberals and a lot of people involved in politics too. My wife grew up in Bethesda. I used to live and work right by there. It's a hotbed of stereotypical rich liberals. It's a very liberal area. They will find people with axes to grind and who will do it gladly if they don't have to actually risk anything.

I get interviewed by the FBI every 5 years or so for one of my good friends who works in a job that requires regular deep security checks. These guys don't mess around. Based on how they speak to me about a guy in good standing and something that's routine, I can only imagine how seriously they probably take a real investigation that matters and is in the national spotlight.

Just now, SFLUFAN said:

I would assume the Judiciary Committee has subpoena power should they choose to exercise it.

Yes, Congress has subpoena powers and the relevant parties would all fall under the various prongs by which it is detirmined if the subpoena would be legally enforceable.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

So now we get an investigation that doesn't even last long enough to check with all of the witnesses, and then Collins and Murkowski will have the cover they need to confirm him. "the FBI didn't turn up anything!" ..."in the week we allowed them to do a months-long investigation."

I share the concern, as well, that at its conclusion GOP Senators will use it as a pass to vote yes.

But I also don't think this is 'nothing. Assign whatever motives you want to Flake, and the parameters of the investigation, but they have opened up the can of worms where if the evidence knocks loudly enough, they're probably going to have to answer.

What struck me most is how much pressure must have been put on Trump to green light this. The guy that whines about Sessions recusal. Though smaller in scope, Trump just signed on to do to Kavanaugh what he has been whining Rosenstein and Sessions did to him.

8 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

I share the concern, as well, that at its conclusion GOP Senators will use it as a pass to vote yes.

But I also don't think this is 'nothing. Assign whatever motives you want to Flake, and the parameters of the investigation, but they have opened up the can of worms where if the evidence knocks loudly enough, they're probably going to have to answer.

What struck me most is how much pressure must have been put on Trump to green light this. The guy that whines about Sessions recusal. Though smaller in scope, Trump just signed on to do to Kavanaugh what he has been whining Rosenstein and Sessions did to him.

Because Flake, Murkowski and maybe Collins forced his and McConnell's hands. Based on what I've been hearing, they basically told McConnell that if he proceeded with a floor vote without an investigation, they would either withhold their votes or vote no. McConnell and Graham basically told Trump he had no choice. Plus I think Trump is starting to tire of Kavanaugh and is making the calculation that this guy is turning out to be more trouble than he's worth when Trump could easily just pick another judge on his list. I don't think any of these folks were expecting this to be such a debacle.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

OK, so why are we so sure he raped?

Do I personally think he raped anyone? I don't know. Do I think he was a frat boy douche that did douchy things and may have done some of the things that are being alleged? Absolutely. Is anyone accusing him of actual rape?