The Kavanaugh Confirmation Charade Thread

28 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Flake is feeling the heat, especially after his cowardly performance in the elevator...but he’s gonna vote yes. He needs to look like he’s really deliberating because the GOP has looked very unserious in regards to any of the questions about Kavanaugh. It’s just a show.

Quoting myself for truth. It’s all a show with this cat.

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

The background mics at the hearings conclusion were fantastic.

Feinstein: “So what about the Flake’s motion?”

Grassley: “There is no motion. It’s a gentleman and ladies agreement!”

I was devastated when they got cut :lol:

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

I have no idea what's going on...

Exactly what we all knew would happen, the GOP moved the nomination forward and everybody grandstanded in their typical way, most notably Jeff Flake who pretended he was seriously deliberating with Dems only to vote to advance the nomination to the floor and a mere suggestion that a delay to reopen the FBI background investigation to handle these sexual misconduct allegations.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Exactly what we all knew would happen, the GOP moved the nomination forward and everybody grandstanded in their typical way, most notably Jeff Flake who pretended he was seriously deliberating with Dems only to vote to advance the nomination to the floor and a mere suggestion that a delay to reopen the FBI background investigation to handle these sexual misconduct allegations.

An FBI background investigation...that can only be authorized by the White House.

Just now, osxmatt said:

To be fair to Flake, even though he doesn't deserve it, if he had voted no in committee, doesn't a 10-10 vote break with the chairman?

If he voted no it would have been 11 no/10 yes. If he abstained, it would indeed go to the chair for a tie breaker.

I'm not quite as cynical as to say that Flake refusing to vote kavanaugh to the floor is the same as voting to confirm.  By doing what he's done he's covered his flank (by voting aye out of committee) but orchestrated a situation by which if he doesn't stick to his word he'll be in for a thousand times the treatment that caused him to back off today.  He invited political pressure if he caved.  Not a guarantee by any means but that's why I'm not as cynical.  Not AS cynical.  Still deeply skeptical it will amount to anything in the end.

Still; the way the hearings have gone it seems the most likely thing is that kavanaugh's story isn't going to hold up to even the thinnest investigation and his poll numbers have tanked in the past couple days after already being underwater.  Waiting a week for an investigation could spur him to withdraw before the investigation is finished.

1 minute ago, Anathema- said:

I'm not quite as cynical as to say that Flake refusing to vote kavanaugh to the floor is the same as voting to confirm.  By doing what he's done he's covered his flank (by voting aye out of committee) but orchestrated a situation by which if he doesn't stick to his word he'll be in for a thousand times the treatment that caused him to back off today.  He invited political pressure if he caved.  Not a guarantee by any means but that's why I'm not as cynical.  Not AS cynical.  Still deeply skeptical it will amount to anything in the end.

Still; the way the hearings have gone it seems the most likely thing is that kavanaugh's story isn't going to hold up to even the thinnest investigation and his poll numbers have tanked in the past couple days after already being underwater.  Waiting a week for an investigation could spur him to withdraw before the investigation is finished.

Spoiler - there will be no investigation