Frozen embryos are ‘children,’ Alabama Supreme Court rules in couples’ wrongful death suits

Again, this is so foolish, and gross.

If frozen embryos are children, the people who provided the eggs and sperm should be arrested for handing over several of their children to be indefinitely incarcerated. The clinic itself should beheld accountable for the mass incarceration of children. And to avoid half measures... what do we do about the children who are currently incarcerated at the clinic? They're essentially children in suspended animation at this point, shouldn't whoever contributed the egg be compelled to attempt to bring all of their fertilized embryos to term to end their imprisonment?

This whole position is appalling and unjustifiable. 

WWW.CNN.COM

The University of Alabama at Birmingham health system is pausing in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatment following an Alabama Supreme Court ruling that found frozen embryos are children, the health system said in a statement to CNN.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Firewithin said:

would some sort of class action be able to be brought as im sure there are tons of people who are now out thousands of dollars waiting to be able to get their IVF and now cant because of the shithole state

Maybe. So long as the scope is very limited and doesnt turn into the US supreme court is weighing in on whether IVF is any kind of right or not. Odds are a ruling would just be that the grievance is with the clinics who chose halt operations when they were not legally required to do so. 

what this makes me wonder and assume us that these clinics, despite performing medical procedures are not afforded the same legal definitions and protections as other healthcare workers, like surgeons or ER doctors. I dunno, maybe they are and in addition to their BS biblical arguments the lawyers also managed to prove medical negligence. 

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, this is so foolish, and gross.

If frozen embryos are children, the people who provided the eggs and sperm should be arrested for handing over several of their children to be indefinitely incarcerated. The clinic itself should beheld accountable for the mass incarceration of children. And to avoid half measures... what do we do about the children who are currently incarcerated at the clinic? They're essentially children in suspended animation at this point, shouldn't whoever contributed the egg be compelled to attempt to bring all of their fertilized embryos to term to end their imprisonment?

This whole position is appalling and unjustifiable. 

NAH! They love throwing “people” of all ages into the slammer. As long as someone is profiting in some form or another with “people” in jail, all seems to be cool. The only real downside is that they can’t extort these incarcerated “people” for that reality tv series money. 

I call for a Jan 6th style rally in Alabama on the stairs of the Supreme Court.

Spoiler

I call for all public master-baiters to jerk themselves off and paint them doors/stairs. For the shy people? Litter the stairs with used condoms full of “children” with a note attached “WANNA CHARGE ME FOR MURDER NOW!” This is completely ridiculous, but so was their fucking decision. Let them get a taste of the shit they brought upon themselves.

This ruling appears to have unsettled at least some members of the House GOP.

House GOP rushes to distance from Alabama IVF ruling (Axios)

House Republicans are quickly pushing back on an Alabama Supreme Court ruling restricting access to fertility treatments, with one GOP lawmaker already planning a legislative response, Axios has learned.

• Shocked 1

12 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The lawmaker added that Republicans from swing districts "have to, right...?"

When will the lesson be learned?! (Churchill, probably). Right wing online media will never allow a bill like this to go forward. 

So wait, are women that are sexually active going to have to catch embryos with some sort of contraption in the bathroom just in case a fertilized egg doesn't implant properly (normal occurrence). Flushing the toilet with an embryo would be a minimum of manslaughter with their line of thinking.

2 minutes ago, Subzwari1987 said:

I thought the Republican party wanted women to produce more laborers for their factories precious children as God intended. Preventing IVFs seems counterintuitive to that goal. 

Think about who uses IVF and the answer to that question is apparent.

17 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Senate GOP freaking out too.

WWW.CNN.COM

A court decision prompting some Alabama fertility clinics to curtail IVF treatments shows how top Republicans are still struggling to navigate a post-Roe v. Wade world.

Fun fact: Republicans put these mother fuckers on the court. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

Just now, SaysWho? said:

Senate GOP freaking out too.

WWW.CNN.COM

A court decision prompting some Alabama fertility clinics to curtail IVF treatments shows how top Republicans are still struggling to navigate a post-Roe v. Wade world.

Fun fact: Republicans put these mother fuckers on the court. 

I’ve seen interviews where their emperor gets excused from overturning roe. There is nothing they won’t excuse him for. 

4 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Seriously, this ruling truly is a gift for the Democrats com November.  

Even though the effects are confined to one state right now, I think it's almost on the same level as Dobbs as to how big of an impact politically it is. Supposedly like half of the House caucus are cosponsors on a "fetal personhood" bill that would have the same effect as this ruling Nationwide, but now you have Trump coming out pro-IVF. So you have a huge schism there. And then also it seems like this is a story the media is willing to stick with for a while and make a big deal out of, so it's bumping some of the "Biden is old and sleepy" stuff off of front pages. And then you have the true fuckin' weirdos like Chris Rufo using this as an opportunity to say that they want to go further and ban birth control.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:11 AM, Subzwari1987 said:

I thought the Republican party wanted women to produce more laborers for their factories precious children as God intended. Preventing IVFs seems counterintuitive to that goal. 

Sen. Tommy Tuberville, R-Ala., appeared to struggle to answer questions on Thursday related to a ruling by his state's Supreme Court last week that embryos are considered children.

“Yeah, I was all for it,” Tuberville told reporters at the Conservative Political Action Conference on Thursday when asked about the Alabama Supreme Court's Friday ruling that embryos created through in vitro fertilization are considered children under state law.

“We need to have more kids. We need to have an opportunity to do that, and I thought this was the right thing to do,” Tuberville said.

Pressed by NBC News about whether he was concerned about how the ruling could impact people who are trying to have kids through IVF, Tuberville sidestepped the question.

“Well, that’s, that’s for another conversation. I think the big thing is right now, you protect — you go back to the situation and try to work it out to where it’s best for everybody. I mean, that’s what — that’s what the whole abortion issue is about,” he said.

On 2/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, TUFKAK said:

I’ve seen interviews where their emperor gets excused from overturning roe. There is nothing they won’t excuse him for. 

At some point the American people are responsible, Americans can complain all they want but these are the policies they/we keep voting for.

• True 1