Ok, the dust is finally settling. What's your GOTY?

best3444

We all can basically agree that 2023 is the best year in gaming history. I've never seen anything like this and unfortunately we won't see another year like this for a very long time, maybe never (thanks covid).

With all these amazing games what is your personal GOTY? I played almost every big game this year minus BG3 which will probably win the media's GOTY. I'm close to finishing Spider-Man 2 but it's not as good as I was hoping so it's not my GOTY.

I am going out on a limb here and saying my personal GOTY is Starfield. I didn't beat it but I played 40 hours or so and will eventually beat it. Overall, Bethesda makes my type of game and I really think for the most part they nailed their vision with this game. Sadly a lot of the game is hidden behind loading screens but that still doesn't deter me from claiming it my GOTY. 

Zelda was too difficult for me but I appreciated it's innovation. RE4 was good but it's a remake. Same with Dead Space and Metroid Prime Remastered.

Hogwarts was a terrific surprise and is a worthy contender, too. Then you have the magnificent Super Mario Wonder that I unfortunately cannot play because my Switch died on me. Final Fantasy 16 started out great then fell flat on its face.

Then we had the very good game in Star Wars Jedi: Survivor which I could see being someone's GOTY. We had a surprise in Lies of P as well. I know bacon really enjoyed that and then we had Remnant 2 which was a hit and I know skillz and a few others here really enjoyed it. Especially co-op.

I don't think Super Mario RPG would be anyone's GOTY but it certainly isn't a game to sleep on. 

Another surprise hit this year was Alan Wake 2 but I was too distracted too finish that. I definitely will once things die down. It's a incredible game from what users on here have said along with the acclaimed reviews. Then the last game I can think of that was extremely good this year was Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty. I need to play that which I will soon on my deck.

I am probably forgetting some games here but I think I highlighted the big ones. 

My personal highlight this year was @stepee buying me an OLED Steam Deck. I haven't been this blown away from tech in many years. It was the most generous thing anyone has ever done for me and with where my life is at now, it was a true blessing. I cannot thank him enough. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

26 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Of the games I've played and finished, Spiderman 2 edged out Jedi Survivor for me. I haven't played Balders Gate and I haven't finished Alan Wake 2 yet but based on what I've played so far... that ain't threatening Spiderman or Jedi 

Interesting. I'm enjoying Spider-Man 2 but I think I'm too distracted with my Deck atm. It's very good but in the back of my mind as I play it I keep saying this is a solid 8/10 game. 

Based on the game I found the best, Metroid Prime Remastered was incredible. I’ve owned but never beaten the game on GameCube and just really enjoyed my time with the game. TofK was fantastic, Super Mario Wonder has been great and we haven’t picked up BG3, Spiderman 2 or AW2 yet. 

• True 1

Tears of the Kingdom takes the prize for me. It's just an incredible sandbox to play in. There is an awesome array of toys to use however you please and so many treasures to be found as you keep on digging. I just love approaching a problem and finding my own solution given the toolset Tears gives you. It's the most rewarding and exciting game I played this year for sure.

Spider-Man 2 is my runner up for just how well polished and fun the whole experience is. Everything about that game sings along as you swing from place to place, story point to story point, mechanic to mechanic. It's overflowing with stuff, but never overwhelming. It's such a well edited piece of open world game making that also really rewards players with both an excellent Spider-Man story and experience.

Alan Wake 2 gets a lot of points for being a unique treasure among AAA games and such an absurd leap from its now ancient predecessor. It's exciting to play a game and not really know what they might throw at you next, but also have it be presented so well. It has more holes and rough edges than many big games, but it stands above many of them out of sheer creativity and novelty.

Starfield is one of my most played games this year, but I think it has too many issues and is too backward looking to be seriously considered.

Jedi Survivor was fine, but never a revelatory experience. Much the same can be said for Final Fantasy 16

Diablo 4 surprised me with both how much I enjoyed it and how quickly I fell out of it.

Dave the Diver is a great little game that I'm really enjoying on my Steam Deck, but as nice as it is, I don't think it's quite GOTY material for me.

The big missing piece for me is Baldur's Gate 3. I suspect that I'll really enjoy it, I just haven't made time to dig into it yet.

• Halal 2

I can’t do this until I beat Alan Wake 2..but right now it’s Mario with Spidey a surprisingly close second. It’ll probably be Mario > AW2 > Spidey but I have about 1/3rd to go on Alan - finally felt good enough to fire it back up yesterday!

Edit: And Pizza Tower with an honorable mention at #4!

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I can’t do this until I beat Alan Wake 2..but right now it’s Mario with Spidey a surprisingly close second. It’ll probably be Mario > AW2 > Spidey but I have about 1/3rd to go on Alan - finally felt good enough to fire it back up yesterday!

Did you try BG3? I'm really tempted to try this after watching a bunch of reviews. Is it available on the deck?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

Did you try BG3? I'm really tempted to try this after watching a bunch of reviews. Is it available on the deck?

It’s on deck and runs well..I tried a bit and it’s not my thing either but I also want to make myself give it a shot. But it’s also like 150 hours so it has to wait :P

3 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s on deck and runs well..I tried a bit and it’s not my thing either but I also want to make myself give it a shot. But it’s also like 150 hours so it has to wait :P

It's not even available to buy right now. I just need to relax and play the games I have. 

9 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It's not even available to buy right now. I just need to relax and play the games I have. 

It is!

STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a story-rich, party-based RPG set in the universe of Dungeons & Dragons, where your choices shape a tale of fellowship and betrayal, survival and sacrifice, and the lure of absolute power.

But I still agree with what you said :P 

• Shocked 1

Only played 3 games released this year: Tears of the Kingdom, XB3 Future Redeemed, and FFXVI (ongoing).  Liked them in that order, though I will go to bat for FFXVI being a legitimately good game and fun time.

I could see another game surmounting Tears for me.  It's very much the game BoTW should have been, so in that regard its excellent.  Still, too much of the clothing rewards were identical, and they definitely could have made vehicles more OP without ruining the fun at all.

I'll play Jedi Survivor at some point, but probably not until next year.

Oh, and Pikmin 4 too.

For my specific tastes, 2023 wasn't an all-timer.  Though it's unquestionably one of the better recent years in terms of gaming releases, 2017 was much stronger for me personally, and before that probably 2007.

For me it's a toss up between RE4 and Alan Wake 2.  Alan Wake 2 is so novel and ambitious that it deserves recognition, even though it's very flawed and I don't think it will really stand the test of time.  The gameplay that it has is solid, but there's very little of it, and it's a little too precious with its own storytelling.  Still, it's a huge swing in the landscape of big budget games, and it's certainly rewarding for fans of the first game and Remedy overall. 

RE4 took a perfect game and made interesting and smart additions.  It's superb, but it is still RE4.  It's not quite the leap that RE2 remake was, but I enjoyed my time playing it more than almost everything else.

Tears of the Kingdom and Mario Wonder are both phenomenal games, but I haven't been able to really get into either.  I ended up dropping off of Zelda after a few hours, and while I love the look of Mario Wonder, the 2D games just don't grab me the way that the 3D ones do.

I would give an honorable mention to Robocop, just by virtue of how rarely we get games like that.  That's the kind of game we were getting 3-4 times per year in the mid 2000's, and so it felt like a breath of fresh air in the modern era.

Gaming is my favorite hobby, but I definitely can't keep up with these super long major releases anymore.  Anything over about 20 hours starts to wear pretty thin for me, and I find myself with less and less time as I get older.

Just now, best3444 said:

Maybe I'm being unfair on Spider-Man 2. I'm really distracted by the deck and I'm not fully appreciating the game. @TwinIonsaid everything that needs to be said about it so I need to beat it. 

Fuck...bg3 is available to buy :s

You could use a little Ball Sack in your gaming collection

• Hype 1

5 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Maybe I'm being unfair on Spider-Man 2. I'm really distracted by the deck and I'm not fully appreciating the game. @TwinIonsaid everything that needs to be said about it so I need to beat it. 

Fuck...bg3 is available to buy :s

Dont even think about it until my 1tb arrives - it’s 150 fucking gb

• Haha 1