Ok, the dust is finally settling. What's your GOTY?

best3444

19 hours ago, stepee said:

I’ve always been partial to 2007. It ushered in the next era of 3D gaming imo.

Bioshock

Mass Effect

Uncharted

Assassins Creed

Call of Duty 4

Halo 3

Mario Galaxy

Orange Box (Portal/Episode 2)

God of War 2

The Witcher

Crackdown

Metroid Prime 3

Rockband

Crysis 

Rachet and Clank Future

This was the first year I had a part time job, and that fall was just insane. There was a new modern classic dropping like every week, and I was actually able to buy them. 

• Hype 1

2007 wasn’t my first job but it was when I was settling into my first real one and settling in to what would become my profession in IT and making good money, living by myself, etc. It’s the year I entered pc gaming with a shitty pc that could kinda sorta almost play Crysis decently (I bet if I saw how I was running it now it was soooo bad) and so also when I felt I could really just get whatever I wanted for the first time. And yeah just non stop modern classics. It was the first time I realized I’ll never have time for all this! 

3 minutes ago, nublood said:

Well…. you’ll have to keep waiting until I play BG3. I have it but not playing until Christmas. hehe

I remember you mentioning saving some games for Christmas. That's awesome you do that. I don't have the will power to do that. 

• Halal 1

43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I remember you mentioning saving some games for Christmas. That's awesome you do that. I don't have the will power to do that. 

I know of 3 things my family has gotten me for Christmas and they have all been offered to me early to enjoy before Christmas. I’ve declined all 3 because I love the anticipation of Christmas Day. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I know of 3 things my family has gotten me for Christmas and they have all been offered to me early to enjoy before Christmas. I’ve declined all 3 because I love the anticipation of Christmas Day. 

Awesome. Care to share what they are?

32 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Coffee maker, a Swiss Gear aluminum card holder/money clip. Basically a minimalist wallet. And a throwback Mitchel & Ness Falcons hoodie. 

Nice. Unfortunately we don't really celebrate Christmas in our family anymore. I don't get anything and I don't get anyone anything. I will go to a Christmas dinner and that's it. Christmas is nothing but a great memory for me now. 

• Sad 2
  • Hugs 1

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nice. Unfortunately we don't really celebrate Christmas in our family anymore. I don't get anything and I don't get anyone anything. I will go to a Christmas dinner and that's it. Christmas is nothing but a great memory for me now. 

Sad. Christmas is about family getting together. 

• True 1

52 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Bruh Christmas is what you make of it. Its not just about presents (all though I do love exchanging presents) Its about family, love, and the spirit of Christmas. Maybe put up a small tree in your room (it doesn't have to be huge or expensive) and buy your parents a gift that could be for the both of them. You would be surprised just doing small things will help with the holiday spirit and fun.

• True 1
  • Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Bruh Christmas is what you make of it. Its not just about presents (all though I do love exchanging presents) Its about family, love, and the spirit of Christmas. Maybe put up a small tree in your room (it doesn't have to be huge or expensive) and buy your parents a gift that could be for the both of them. You would be surprised just doing small things will help with the holiday spirit and fun.

I'm completely fine with it. I'm not upset about it at all and I'm very thankful for my amazing Christmas's I had growing up. They were amazing. Also, I have no money to buy my parents anything, lol. I'm jobless and it's devastating that my State career is over. I'm still struggling with that at night before I sleep. 

11 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm completely fine with it. I'm not upset about it at all and I'm very thankful for my amazing Christmas's I had growing up. They were amazing. Also, I have no money to buy my parents anything, lol. I'm jobless and it's devastating that my State career is over. I'm still struggling with that at night before I sleep. 

One door closes and another will open. 

Just now, Biggie said:

One door closes and another will open. 

I know. It's just every single job I see is not even close to what I was making for the state. I was making $35 an hour and I'm using indeed for my job searches. Every fuckin job is $19-$21 an hour. :|

I'm getting really stressed out. 

4 hours ago, best3444 said:

Yessir. BG3, Armored Core and Lords of the Fallen are my gaming hauls. Problem is I have no idea how I’m gonna balance bouncing between them. Time management is gonna be a big problem. lol

20 minutes ago, nublood said:

Yessir. BG3, Armored Core and Lords of the Fallen are my gaming hauls. Problem is I have no idea how I’m gonna balance bouncing between them. Time management is gonna be a big problem. lol

Hey, I'm currently juggling 7 games on my deck plus Spider-Man 2 on PS5. I lost my job though so I have the time. 😆 

BG3 is massive. Good luck!

It’s really impossible to truly pick between Alan Wake 2 and Mario and to a slightly lesser extent Spiderman 2. All three gave me everything I could have hoped for and more. An absolute insane 10 day window between these three launching for my tastes. 

They are all so different from each other and all of them knocked it out of the park. I just beat AW2 so I’ll have to think of it more but I think it’s going to have to come down to..if I could only keep one game from this year, what would it be?

That makes it easier. That is Alan Wake 2 no question. It’s SO up my alley and just a complete miracle it happened at all. There is nothing like it. More than any game this year I’m just happy that it exists in the world. 

Uh oh. I just beat Spider-Man 2. That was really impressive and it completely took off about halfway through. I had it at an 8/10 for a few hours in but it really stepped it up and surpassed the 2018 game.

Real true emotion and great acting in it. I actually teared up a bit lol. I need to let things settle in my mind and I currently have Alan Wake 2 downloading again because of how amazed @stepee was with it. Starfield may not be my GOTY after all!

• Shocked 2

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Insomniac Spider-Man >>> all of the movies just from a story standpoint alone 

Oh, absolutely. This was actually BETTER than I anticipated. They did a great job building things up and that is why I may have been a bit disappointed at first because of how long it took to really get things going. But looking back it always had a good flow and it just took off to epic levels I didn't honestly expect. I kept saying to myself this has to be the end and it kept surprising me. 9/10

Just now, legend said:

I assume you'e excluding Into the Spider-verse movies in that statement, right. RIGHT?!? :p 

(But the games stories are really good)

I am but idkkkkkk they are so different in their aim it would be tough to compare unless Insomniac did a multiverse take 

Just now, stepee said:

I am but idkkkkkk they are so different in their aim it would be tough to compare unless Insomniac did a multiverse take 

I will settle for you at least not putting those movies lower :p When all is said and done those movies will probably be my favorite super hero movie series.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I see one of the Spider-verse movies is available on Netflix. I might have to watch this today. I don't like the art style though. I know I'm weird. 

On 12/1/2023 at 7:48 PM, Paperclyp said:

OOT

Metal Gear Solid 

Half Life

Star Craft 

Baldur's Gate 

Grim Fandango 

Unreal 

RE 2

Banjo Kazooie 

Tekken 3 

Xenogears 

Panzer Dragoon Saga 

NFL Blitz 

Gran Turismo 

Parasite Eve 

Fair or not, if you take out the remakes this year, I think 1998 has it beat overall. So many of those games were pillars and sort of still are of the entire industry. 

Fun, I'll take a swing because I think a lot of folks here are stuck, only caring about mostly popular or otherwise mainstream games when I feel like a lot of the time, the smaller stuff isn't just more interesting, it's often better. Casette Beasts beats the shit out of Pokemon Scarlet, for example. Maybe the most extreme example, but a fitting one.

Ahem

Some of 2023's most interesting games, good or Starfield, mostly chronological order (and yes, I'm counting remakes or otherwise interesting games, if Parasite Eve and Panzer Dragoon Saga count, then I get to count some weird ones too!):

Pizza Tower

Dead Space

Hi-Fi Rush

Fire Emblem Engage

Metroid Prime Remastered

Hogwarts Legacy

Like A Dragon: Ishin

Atomic Heart

Gran Turismo 7

Octopath Traveler 2

The Legend of Heroes: Trails to Azure

Resident Evil 4

Dredge

Dead Island 2

Live A Live

Star Wars Jedi: Survivor

Darkest Dungeon 2

Tears of the Kingdom

System Shock

Killer Frequency

Amnesia: The Bunker

Diablo IV

BattleBit Remastered

Aliens: Dark Descent (Shame so many forgot about it, great game)

Pikmin 4

Final Fantasy XVI

Dave the Diver

The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie (easily my favorite Trails game so far)

Oxenfree 2

Remnant 2

Baldur's Gate 3

Armored Core VI

Sea of Stars

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Street Fighter 6

Starfield

F-Zero 99

Lies of P

Mortal Kombat 1

Phantom Liberty (aka Cyberpunk 2077 is out of beta)

Blossom Tales 2

Assassin's Creed Mirage

Lords of the Fallen

Super Mario Bros Wonder

Super Mario RPG

Alan Wake 2

Knuckle Sandwich

Jusant

Star Ocean: The Second Story R (makes this old piece of shit playable and FUN! Get it on your Deck if you even somewhat like JRPGs!)

The Talos Principle 2

You Will Die Here Tonight

Like A Dragon Gaiden

Lunacid

Motherfucking CASETTE BEASTS, the best Pokemon game ever made

Viewfinder

En Garde

Sludge Life 2

Deathbulge: Battle of the Bands

Pseudoregalia

Small Saga

Legends of Nayuta: Boundless Trails

Saturnalia

BIT.TRIP RERUNNER

Ghostrunner 2

WitchSpring R

Bang on Balls

Persona 5 Tactica

Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince

SteamWorld Build

And that's just the stuff I personally rate as "notable," if I threw in all the other little games I thought were awesome this year, it'd be twice the length, and I know Best's eyes already glazed over 20% into this list!

When I say 2023 was the greatest year ever, I don't simply mean it had some of the best games I've ever played (which it did) but also that it had a volume of great games unlike any other year. I put a few "popular" games here like Starfield or Diablo 4, just to acknowledge them, but the vast majority of them are just games I personally thought were fucking great.

Now we all have a few little weird titles we like each year, but there wasn't a single week this year where I was sitting, staring at my library, wondering what to play. This time last year I was bored out of my fucking mind waiting for Callisto Protocol to get its shit together. That's how dire it was, and honestly that's how it can be a lot of times at the end of the year. But now? I'm completely inundated with great games. It rules. If you can keep my ass from being bored all year, that means it was a year on another level. 1998 had a lot of landmark releases, but "some of them still influence gaming today" is a weird way to phrase that because we have no idea how this year's games will influence the future of gaming, and whether they influenced the future of gaming or not was totally not relevant when you were looking over those games in 1998. As an aside... being influential isn't necessarily a positive. Just ask Genshin Impact and Fortnite.

Also I could beat that entire list of games in a 3-day weekend! Okay, the RPGs might need a second weekend.