Ok, the dust is finally settling. What's your GOTY?

best3444

8 minutes ago, legend said:

No! Do not watch the second before the first.

For $4 you can rent the first from amazon:

WWW.AMAZON.COM

I litteraly cannot afford that because I'm currently -$65 in my bank account. I get a paycheck this Friday that will all dissappear for things I  heed to pay. I'm jobless with no money lol. 

@Xbob42 Yeah I mean I mainly just wanted to check myself because I think I had even made a thread earlier in the year already proclaiming this year the best but I was listening to a pod discussing ‘98 and it did make me stop and think about it. 

It’s not fair to say 98 had lasting influence because as you said we can’t say how this year’s games will affect the landscape going forward, but i do think it speaks to the quality of those games even in the moment that they contained such solid foundations they would end up influencing the industry going forward, and I think you could tell that was the case in 1998 for some of them. Like, OOT was clearly going to be copied with how it handled a lot of its transition to 3D, and you didn’t need the lens of time passing to figure that out. 

Anyway, as I said I don’t have a problem with anyone thinking this year is the best or 2004 for or any year for that matter. I just think 1998 is probably the one for me, but 2023 is right there with it. 

Edit: smallest of corrections - GT7 was last year. 

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I litteraly cannot afford that because I'm currently -$65 in my bank account. I get a paycheck this Friday that will all dissappear for things I  heed to pay. I'm jobless with no money lol. 

Your bank doesn’t give overdraft fees right? Might be a good idea to have your parents loan you the $65 then pay them back Friday

4 minutes ago, best3444 said:

DM me your email. I'll send you an Amazon E-gift card you can use to rent it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

@Xbob42 Like, OOT was clearly going to be copied with how it handled a lot of its transition to 3D, and you didn’t need the lens of time passing to figure that out. 

As for me, I can't wait to be bitter about other RPGs not even coming close to measuring up against BG3 for the next decade!

• True 1

7 minutes ago, stepee said:

Your bank doesn’t give overdraft fees right? Might be a good idea to have your parents loan you the $65 then pay them back Friday

Nope. I don't get overdraft fees. So I have to wait until Friday to get back into the positive. My parents can't give a cent more lol. 

7 minutes ago, legend said:

DM me your email. I'll send you an Amazon E-gift card you can use to rent it.

Fuckin so nice of you, man. I'll send you a dm now. 

• Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I agreed with your score of 7/10 for 16. I truly despised it in the second half. @crispy4000 you still riding high in FF16?

Yes, not GOTY worthy, but a fun game I really enjoy the vibes of.

I'm at a point now where the main quest resorts to some obvious padding.  But I should be more than halfway in at this point, not the first few hours or whatever it's been discussed as here.  The side quests aren't as bad as have been said either.  The rewards are often worth it, they're fully voiced, and some minor lore details get fieshed out in most of them.

• Hugs 1

Some of my favorite games this year are Tears of the Kingdom, Street Fighter 6 and Mortal Kombat 1.

But my personal pick for GOTY is the RPG indie darling, Sea of Stars

It just felt right, had a very cool and unique battle system, some great music and fantastic pixel art. And It never overstays its welcome. It was the only game I actually finished to completion this year, and I clocked in a little over 40 hours. And that included some (ultimately unnecessary) extra grinding. I played it on Switch and it felt great in either handheld mode or TV mode. The fact that I beat it is reason enough for it to get my GOTY since I never finish games anymore it seems, haha.

• Halal 1

5 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Just wait until Granblue hits, you'll be changing your GOTY

Rising? Yeah that game looks freakin’ sweet.

Speaking of Arc Systems Works, I wonder if I could “cheat” and add Guilty Gear Strive to my list of GOTY contenders. Since it got released on Xbox platforms this year?

17 minutes ago, GameDadGrant said:

Rising? Yeah that game looks freakin’ sweet.

Speaking of Arc Systems Works, I wonder if I could “cheat” and add Guilty Gear Strive to my list of GOTY contenders. Since it got released on Xbox platforms this year?

NO YOU CANNOT

• Haha 2