Baldur's Gate III has reignited an age-old raging firestorm of controversy in the gaming community: to save scum or not to save scum

Commissar SFLUFAN

Don't believe me?  Well, let me enlighten you!

2188b-16914294239798-1920.jpg
WWW.SPORTSKEEDA.COM

The term "save scum" has been used widely in the gaming community, and its usage isn't limited to Baldur's Gate 3 or other similar games.

baldursgate3launchtrailer-ign-blogroll-1
WWW.IGN.COM

Baldur's Gate 3's huge launch has reignited the age-old debate about save scumming.

nwqREDPoHkWCoUHmu3QGsM-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Go forth and reload without guilt, even if it's just because you accidentally hurt a companion's feelings.

136e8a3481a07a4f27c93f8f6f1d5351.jpg
KOTAKU.COM

No gods, no masters, no shaming how others enjoy the game they own a copy of

astarionbaldur_sgate3.jpeg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

I absolutely will not take accountability for my actions

Save-Scumming-BG3.jpg
THENERDSTASH.COM

Although it is a valid playstyle, save scumming in Baldur's Gate 3 ruins the D&D-esque experience it delivers.

ScumSaveBG3.jpg?resize=768,432
PRIMAGAMES.COM

Save scumming can change the way you experience Baldur's Gate 3 for the first time, and everyone should try playing without it to start.

Baldurs-Gate-3-River.jpg
WWW.GAMEPUR.COM

Is it right to save scum in Baldur's Gate 3 and cheat your way to victory?

don-t-be-scared-to-save-scum-in-baldur-s
SCREENRANT.COM

The advantages of save scumming in BG3.

27-baldur-s-gate-3-turned-me-into-a-save
WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Save your game, I’m begging you. Don’t make the same mistakes as me

Baldurs-gate-3-boar-dice-roll.jpg?width=
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

In Baldur's Gate 3 quicksaves and reloads are a natural part of the process, so why not abuse that privilege to make fr…

Screenshot-896-e1692635226406.png
WWW.PCINVASION.COM

Is save scumming in an choice reliant RPG fair?

As you can see, this topic has generated more than its fair share of discourse since the release of Larian's masterpiece.  As for my personal opinion on the matter...

IF YOU AIN'T SLAMMING THAT QUICK SAVE KEY AN AVERAGE OF ONCE EVERY 15 SECONDS, YOU AIN'T PLAYING THE GAME RIGHT!  HELL, I WISH REAL-LIFE CAME WITH QUICK-SAVE/QUICK-LOAD!

IncomparableLargeGannet-size_restricted.

• Haha 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Baldur's Gate III has reignited an age-old raging firestorm of controversy in the gaming community: to save scum or not to save scum

I'm very much of the mind that you should play how you want. Save scumming is also a great way to ease the difficulty for people who are struggling.

I'm somewhere in between. I save extremely regularly when just moving about the world, but mostly just as a check point. I don't save scum dice rolls, but I do sometimes save, say an option I know I don't want to keep but just want to see how it plays out and then reload. I usually don't save within combat either. If it's a long fight I will occasionally save at points in the fight as checkpoints just so I don't have to redo everything if I fail, but not to save scum lucky combat rolls.

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Save scumming is as old as PC gaming -- I'm guessing anyone who grew up primarily playing PCs doesn't have an issue with it.

I didn’t, but still don’t have a problem with it. But even on console it’s been a staple since the old days. You may not have had a quick save in all games, but you were a fool not to save as often as the game allowed. I’m sure I wore Mei Ling out. lol 

It’s probably Dark Souls try hards that hate it. 

I remember when auto-saving really started getting main stream implementation. I still don’t entirely trust it. 

One thing that I will always save scum is strength rolls in dialogue. I have 20 STR. I shouldn't fail almost anything STR-related and so I'll make the game go my way. Of course, I use inspiration, but I ain't blowing more than two at a time. The 4 inspiration cap is just something I don't understand. Maybe it's a DnD thing but it's lame.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

In the final battle my Paladin missed 2 x 85% chance smites! Did I reload that round? Fork yes I did! 2nd go at it:

Strike 1: Critical hit, 87 damage total!

Strike 2: Hit, 40 something damage and the end of the game! 

I still think of this meme regularly while playing

fncmu8fri8ib1.jpg?auto=webp&s=74f766c7e5

• Hugs 1

I maintain that D20s are a bad design decision and that probably leads to people wanting to save scum more. Multiple dice summed together has much better distributions that more consistently match expectations of someone being proficient at something.

I would also get rid of crit fails. It can sometimes be funny when the enemy crit fails something major, but I think that's overshadowed by the frustration of crit fails and basically losing your turn feeling like you did nothing.

However, these changes would require completely re balancing DnD which is no small task!

I remember finding out what save scumming was. I didn't even know some people thought it was bad. Mass Effect was the first game I ever played where I could save scum and I did it naturally, tho I didn't save scum nearly that much back then. Honestly, I don't even save scum that much in BioWare games. It's the DnD aspect that's causing me to save scum more than I'd like to in BG3 tho the further I get into the game the less I feel the need to save scum. Fallout 3 was my first really big save scumming game.

If critical fails or critical successes generated different content, I think I would welcome the system, but a fail is a fail and a success is a success. The Crit part only matters in combat.

Just make sure you turn off that terrible "Karmic Dice" option in the options menu which forces winning streaks and losing streaks on dice rollers. It's auto-enabled by default when you start the game unfortunately. Not a true 50/50 on every dice roll is lame, and that might be affecting people save scumming. Either way, I'm all for save scumming, did it a ton in Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2.

17 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What if they changed it to be like Xcom where the roll is determined before the action so if you save you'll always miss the target? :sickos:

Well, for combat, I wouldn't really care.

I had actually thought BG3 worked this way for BTS dice rolls for the majority of Act 1. I actually am not a fan of those BTS dice rolls. Maybe it's a DnD thing, but the fact I can't use inspiration on dialogue ones is nuts to me. Also, the fact that I can't use inspiration in combat is weird. Having uncapped inspiration and giving it a combat use would be so nice.

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

I remember finding out what save scumming was. I didn't even know some people thought it was bad. Mass Effect was the first game I ever played where I could save scum and I did it naturally, tho I didn't save scum nearly that much back then. Honestly, I don't even save scum that much in BioWare games. It's the DnD aspect that's causing me to save scum more than I'd like to in BG3 tho the further I get into the game the less I feel the need to save scum. Fallout 3 was my first really big save scumming game.

If critical fails or critical successes generated different content, I think I would welcome the system, but a fail is a fail and a success is a success. The Crit part only matters in combat.

Crit matters outside of combat. DC checks can be above 20 and otherwise be impossible for some characters unless they crit succeed. 

Inversely, with modifiers, a char might always pass a DC except for a crit fail which autofails. 

11 minutes ago, legend said:

Crit matters outside of combat. DC checks can be above 20 and otherwise be impossible for some characters unless they crit succeed. 

I know, but it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that you hit the DC or get a Nat 20. If I hit a 20 on a 10 DC strength check, it's no different than getting an 11. And if I hit a 1 I don't fail in an extra spectacular way, I just fail.

Like, if kick open a door, and I pass with a nat 20, have that shit explode open. Do something special. You passing a 30 DC check cuz you hit a 20 doesn't feel like a crit. It just feels like not a fail.

Oh, and the reason I say it like that is because of save scumming. When it is just a pass or fail mechanic, you either don't really care about the result so you just take the fail, or you save scum until you get the result you want. If there were actual critical reactions to dice rolls, I feel that it would reduce save scumming overall. Like, for most people passing would be good enough. It would be exhausting to get a 20 or 1 for every roll, but it would be awesome to kick the door with such force that it explodes on impact, but it would also be funny if you fucked up and broke your foot and had a debuff until healed or long rested.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I know, but it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that you hit the DC or get a Nat 20. If I hit a 20 on a 10 DC strength check, it's no different than getting an 11. And if I hit a 1 I don't fail in an extra spectacular way, I just fail.

Like, if kick open a door, and I pass with a nat 20, have that shit explode open. Do something special. You passing a 30 DC check cuz you hit a 20 doesn't feel like a crit. It just feels like not a fail.

Feels like you're just arguing that it should be called something different. Regardless of name, rolling a 20 and 1 still have important unique impacts on outcomes separate from the other dice number rolls.And while combat crits also have an affect on damage, its core function is on the hit success/failure: like in DC checks, for an attack roll it's possible for it otherwise to be impossible to hit or inversely miss a target *unless* you get a crit success/fail. E.g., if an enemy has a 22 AC and I have +0 attack, the only way I'm hitting them is via a crit. And if an enemy is wearing robes with 10 AC and I have a +10 attack bonus, then the only way I'm missing is with a crit fail.

Given all that, it's much simpler to refer to the unique role of 20 vs 1 in dialog DC and combat attack rolls as critical success/fail rather than make up a whole new name for each setting :p