Target reduces 2slgbtq+ merchandise ahead of Pride month after harassment and violence from the right wing

646d44f52600006800099b95.jpeg?cache=Uqs6
WWW.HUFFPOST.COM

The retailer is making changes to its LGBTQ merchandise nationwide after an intense backlash from some customers including violent confrontations with its workers.

Predictably, the manufactured rage against trans people is spreading to the entire queer community.

Target's Pride month collection has also been the subject of several misleading videos in recent weeks, with social media users falsely claiming the retailer is selling "tuck-friendly" bathing suits designed for kids or in kids' sizes

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Yeah, um, what is that exactly?

I still mostly use LGBT, though I’ve started adding the Q lately. 

Upon googling to see if Riley had had a stroke while writing the thread title, I learned that it's "two-spirit".

24 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Wtf does that mean!?

It's a legit Indigenous tradition, whereby some people were/are recognized and celebrated for holding two spirits (multiple genders). In Canada we add 2S at the start to recognize this group.

I agree that the abbreviation is growing long...but it's not up to me to change it, so I use whatever is requested. I do know a number of younger members of the community are taking to calling it the "queer community" more and more, but some older members of the community still don't like the reclamation of that term.

• Thanks 2
  • Hugs 1

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's a legit Indigenous tradition, whereby some people were/are recognized and celebrated for holding two spirits (multiple genders). In Canada we add 2S at the start to recognize this group.

I agree that the abbreviation is growing long...but it's not up to me to change it, so I use whatever is requested. I do know a number of younger members of the community are taking to calling it the "queer community" more and more, but some older members of the community still don't like the reclamation of that term.

That sounds familiar now. I think I’ve read that somewhere in the past. 

16 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

People

That would be nice, but as long as a sizable chunk of the population treat and think of them as less, it would be wild to not expect folks to form communities and labels representing their support and camaraderie.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

There has to be something better for handling being all-encompassing than adding more letters to this every couple of years.

Most people I know just use "queer." It is sort of an all encompassing term. Some gay people don't like using it (especially older folks), but almost every person I know that has an identity that is something other than straight cis is happy with the term queer.

Like I don't think I know anyone personally who consider themselves a trans male, they prefer GNC (gender-non-conforming), but they're also happy with queer.

We live in a post-gender world, people, and there isn't really anything anyone can do about it, no matter how hard they try.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Most people I know just use "queer." It is sort of an all encompassing term. Some gay people don't like using it (especially older folks), but almost every person I know that has an identity that is something other than straight cis is happy with the term queer.

Like I don't think I know anyone personally who consider themselves a trans male, they prefer GNC (gender-non-conforming), but they're also happy with queer.

We live in a post-gender world, people, and there isn't really anything anyone can do about it, no matter how hard they try.

My dad uses it in a derogatory manner, so it’s a bit hard for me to use it in reclamation type way. 

Least he doesn’t say the f-word, though I don’t really know why. I mean, he routinely uses the n-word for Black people. 

34 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My dad uses it in a derogatory manner, so it’s a bit hard for me to use it in reclamation type way. 

Least he doesn’t say the f-word, though I don’t really know why. I mean, he routinely uses the n-word for Black people. 

Yeah, I think it's the main difference in terms of where you are/when you're from

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah, I think it's the main difference in terms of where you are/when you're from

I think it's less of where you're from and more of who you are. Just like black people would call each other nxxga 2slgbtq people would call each other queer.

But when you're not in the group you're going to feel less comfortable using those terms. So for now there won't be an all encompassing term for that community. It just seems to be the less offensive term for people who aren't in the group to use.

• True 1

This has been all over conservative media the past few days. Like, often their leading headline.

A very common argument from conservatives, whether it’s Target or Nike or Bud Light or Starbucks or Keurig or the million of other brands they’ve tried to cancel, is “I understand X brand is a business and their goal is to make money so why would they alienate so many consumers with their virtue signaling.”

They are so enveloped within their own media ecosystem it doesn’t even dawn on them that the majority of consumers might actually support gay rights or red and green cups.

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Were these types of initiatives by Target and other retailers at all profitable?  Can a company be inviting/accepting to groups of downcast groups of people without "pandering"?  

its all just bullshit corpo PR stuff.  it probably neither helps or hurts them but all they are doing by giving into these chuds is giving themselves bad PR which is usually the last thing corps want

1 hour ago, MarSolo said:

Stop appeasing the bigots. There’s a whole chapter in history books about why that’s a bad idea. 

They're holding a gun to Target's head. If any of those threats are real, they can't risk harm to any of their workers.

17 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Were these types of initiatives by Target and other retailers at all profitable?  Can a company be inviting/accepting to groups of downcast groups of people without "pandering"?  

They were profitable, but they stop being so if employees have to deal with right-wingers marching into stores and destroying displays and/or merchandise. At a certain point it becomes too much of a headache to deal with.

4 minutes ago, Reputator said:

They're holding a gun to Target's head. If any of those threats are real, they can't risk harm to any of their workers.

If I threatened to shoot up a Target unless they stopped selling Christmas decorations do you think Target would stop selling Christmas decorations? 

28 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

Then hire security.

Call the cops. 

Anything but “we can’t do anything because the bigots are mean and scary”.

That sounds expensive, but also you just know that really in a lawsuit that becomes a media storm where hair the nation takes the side of the terrorist and starts sending death threats to the security officers.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

If I threatened to shoot up a Target unless they stopped selling Christmas decorations do you think Target would stop selling Christmas decorations? 

Difference in scale. Christmas is FAR more lucrative. Also, left-wing terrorism isn't really a thing in this country, so you'd have to recruit a LOT more people to make a difference.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:06 PM, mclumber1 said:

I dunno is it pandering to the Jewish population for them to carry Hanukah merchandise every year?

As a general rule, businesses try to grow their sales by appealing to many different demographics, even when they have a primary demographic they attempt to cater to most. Pandering seems like an odd choice unless you believe all moves businesses make to appeal to smaller market segments is pandering…which kinda makes it pointless to call out.