Target reduces 2slgbtq+ merchandise ahead of Pride month after harassment and violence from the right wing

32 minutes ago, TyphoidHater said:

The only time I shop at Target is in emergencies (I need _____ NOW) and the only reason I choose it over Walmart is because it's twice as close.  

I will go to Walmart occasionally for cereal as their resealable Malt-o-Meal selection is impeccable (cheapest source of homemade rice crispy treats), but for the majority of grocery purchases Aldi and farmer's markets are superior.

PBR is definitely a hipster beer around me, as is Rolling Rock and Utica Club.  Pretty sure Yueungling and Narragansett are viewed as a step up.  

Everyone should be able to pinpoint where I live pretty accurately from all that 😂

Pennsyltucky? 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pennsyltucky? 

Lol.......you're in the right corner of the continuous United States.

I may have overestimated the areas with both the prevalence/popularity of the following:

• Beers- PBR, Rolling Rock, Narragansett, Yueungling, Utica Club
  • Stores- Walmart, Target, Aldi
  • Farmer's Markets

We shop at Target all the time. (We also shop at Walmart all the time.)

I can't even remember why*, but I can recall the left being outraged at Target for whatever reason a few years ago. I'm pretty sure they are actually a pretty politically conservative company, much like 90% of companies that exist.

*30 seconds of Googling, and yeah, their ex-CEO gave tons of money to Republicans and republican causes and they got in trouble for donating to anti-gay rights groups as recently as 2017.

1 hour ago, TyphoidHater said:

Lol.......you're in the right corner of the continuous United States.

I may have overestimated the areas with both the prevalence/popularity of the following:

• Beers- PBR, Rolling Rock, Narragansett, Yueungling, Utica Club
  • Stores- Walmart, Target, Aldi
  • Farmer's Markets

Upstate NY, just cause of Utica.

• Halal 1

5 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I go to Walmart, I go to Target, I go to Kroger. I pretty much go anywhere that has what I’m looking for. It’s not a big deal. 

Sounds like my wife. She'll go to 3 different stores when she could get all the same shit at any of the three. I think I'm a creature of habit and stick to one place because I know where everything is. No room to remember where the chia seeds are for 6 locations of 4 different store chains.

• Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

Sounds like my wife. She'll go to 3 different stores when she could get all the same shit at any of the three. I think I'm a creature of habit and stick to one place because I know where everything is. No room to remember where the chia seeds are for 6 locations of 4 different store chains.

My wife shops at different stores for 1) different stores have better options on certain items, 2) she still makes menu choices around what is on sale like she has for her entire adult life.

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

I order weekly groceries at Walmart and pick them up. I don’t typically go to multiple stores on one trip. 

• Hugs 1

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My wife shops at different stores for 1) different stores have better options on certain items, 2) she still makes menu choices around what is on sale like she has for her entire adult life.

She either has an abundance of free time, or hates having any free time lol.

In under 5 miles from my house there are roughly 20 full grocery stores including whole foods, trader Joe's, multiple Kroger, multiple target, multiple Meijer, Aldi, and a ton of local grocery stores and fruit markets. I remember my mom dragging me store to store as a kid and vowing to never be that way. 

Oh and yea we have Walmart too. 🤢

5 minutes ago, Ominous said:

he either has an abundance of free time, or hates having any free time lol.

The stores she shops at are right next to each other. Most of the time she just plugs in the orders in on the website and does pick up. But she is also a former professional chef, it doesn't take her THAT long to figure out a menu :lol:

I too remember my mom doing the same and how grocery shopping day was legitimately one of my least favorite days of the week. At least when I got a little older and had some money, I could buy a soda out of one of the vending machines that was 25 cents.

I have also noticed this phenomenon... and we also buy our groceries from about 5 or 6 different stores depending on what we need...

We regularly go to...

Schnucks (regional middle of the road "standard" grocery store)

Aldi's

Target/Walmart

Sams Club

Dierbergs (regional fancier slightly more expensive "standard" grocery store)

...and these two are slightly less frequently visited but are still in the rotation

Trader Joes

Whole Foods

It's a little nuts really...

46 minutes ago, ort said:

Eating Chic-fil-a as I type this... served up to me buy an entire crew of white people.

I had Chick-fil-a yesterday after work. I was hungry after my workout and bought a chicken biscuit for me and brought one home for the husband. I almost never go there, but the hospital cafeteria serves it now and I’ve had it a few times since they moved in. 

5 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Pro tip, use instacart, or store pick up options, wait for all orders to be ready then you get all the crap you want from the stores you want it from in like an hour, costs slightly more with instacart but the time savings especially with kids is worth it.

I don't like instacart just because when I go to the grocery store the cashier asks if I'm Instacart.

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's definitely real. My buddy works at the Budweiser plant in Jacksonville and their summer overtime hours are being cut because orders for Bud light are really low. Chuds have effectively canceled Bud Light... for now. They still drink all of the other beverages that the parent company owns though. So goofy.

My god sir is there a company or entity you don't know someone that works at? :p

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Even more crazy it's the same buddy each time! :o

1 hour ago, Reputator said:

My god sir is there a company or entity you don't know someone that works at? :p

I've mentioned my best friend who lives in Jacksonville several times here. Known the guy since Kindergarten.... Other friends I've mentioned? I dunno... I know a lot of real live breathing people :shrug:

23 hours ago, Ominous said:

Is your wife the type of person who will drive 20 minutes to save $0.03/gallon on gas? :p

38 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I didn’t find that when I looked at their Twitter feed. 

38 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Would be a shame if someone spread this around the anti woke crowd like it is real…

14 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My dad is definitely that person.

But is it to save three cents, ir because he enjoys going for a drive? I’m guilty of the latter for sure. 
Did it yesterday when I filled mh bass boat. Then I was already half an hour away from home, so I decided it wouldn’t make sense not to go fish smallmouth for a couple of hours.

you know, “strange coincidences”. 😂 

Glad I did though, because it’s pouring and 30km winds today. Was supposed to just be a drizzle :/

"Target sees more foot traffic despite anti-LGBTQ+ backlash, research finds"

While Target TGT, -0.72% has come under intense pressure over its Pride collection, foot traffic to the company’s stores between April 30 and May 27, 2023 increased 69% compared with the same period last year, Gravy Analytics’ data show. For the week of April 30, 2023, Target saw 7.79 million daily visitors, which increased to 7.92 million daily visitors in the week of May 7, according to Gravy Analytics. For the week of May 14, Target had 8.54 million daily visitors, which rose to 8.7 million daily visitors in the week of May 21.

I think this is actually a good illustration of why this sort of reasoning--

To the people here (and elsewhere) complaining about cancel culture, what they are really complaining about is people not liking something. There are incredibly few examples of people being "cancelled" (for invalid reasons, not things like rape, etc) that can be shown. Most examples can be counter-shown to have had no impact. It's like when people complain about people like Dave Chapelle being cancelled, but he was never cancelled, people just brought up his problematic views in public.

--while maybe well-meaning, is actually a flawed way of framing these flare-ups of (no pun intended) targeted mass social censure.  If we use this reasoning, then it leaves the door open here for someone to say "See?  The right wing didn't 'cancel' anybody.  Target's profits are up!  Right-wing canceling isn't a thing." 

Just because a bullying tactic didn't work doesn't legitimize said bullying tactic or change its militantly coercive nature.  And, IMO, too much of the discourse over trans issues (among other things) has turned into a contest of "who can bully who the most", although I think it's less the fault of any one group and more due to the way the social media ecosystem has evolved and the pernicious behavioral incentives it has created.  Whatever its cause, however, it is the kind of contest that does no one any good, no matter where one falls on the political spectrum, because you can't really bully your way to a social consensus.  The latter emerges mainly out of far less exciting tasks of pragmatic social negotiation and compromise--which unfortunately just isn't the sort of thing that gets retweets. 

• Thanks 1