Target reduces 2slgbtq+ merchandise ahead of Pride month after harassment and violence from the right wing

15 minutes ago, Reputator said:

How many conservatives shop at Target? Unless I see otherwise, the so-called boycott of Target is little more than a handful of angry shouting people.

Target isn’t Whole Foods. It’s a slightly nicer Walmart. Everybody shops there.

3 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Locally (for me).

mike-ramsay-school-board-trustee.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Trustees with the Waterloo Region District School Board voted against a motion to revoke the censure of Mike Ramsay, who represents Kitchener and who was found by his colleagues to have violated the trustee code of conduct.

He was censured by the white trustees on his board for his (slightly) right-of centre views -- particularly in his stance against some of the anti-racist policies they were implementing.   He was subsequently reelected.

More controversial (and potentially deserved) -- JK Rowling, Gina Carano, Dave Chappelle, Goya foods, Evangelline Lily, Jordan Petersen, Judge Stuart Kyle Duncan at Stanford Law School, Jamil Jivani.

So no one got canceled. Alrighty then. 

5 hours ago, Brian said:

When the dedicated servers were removed from PC, people went apeshit and “boycotted”. On release day, someone took a screenshot of their friend list that showed every playing CoD. 

This is revisionist BS.

There was a boycott Call of Duty group with a few hundred people in it. On launch day, about half of the first page of people (out of several dozen pages) had people playing CoD, as groups bump people in-game to the top of the list.

It wasn't a successful boycott, obviously, but this total bullshit account due to that one screenshot still annoys me because it's just completely false.

12 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

This is revisionist BS.

There was a boycott Call of Duty group with a few hundred people in it. On launch day, about half of the first page of people (out of several dozen pages) had people playing CoD, as groups bump people in-game to the top of the list.

It wasn't a successful boycott, obviously, but this total bullshit account due to that one screenshot still annoys me because it's just completely false.

That’s what I remember happening

:shrug:

16 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

More controversial (and potentially deserved) -- JK Rowling, Gina Carano, Dave Chappelle, Goya foods, Evangelline Lily, Jordan Petersen, Judge Stuart Kyle Duncan at Stanford Law School, Jamil Jivani.

Several of these people named have definitely NOT been cancelled unless I just don't understand what the term means anymore.

You know if it wasn’t for the internet I wouldn’t even know there was a Bud Light or Target controversy.  I was at Target recently and it was crowded as hell, filled with people of all color. Last night the beer store near me looked how it always did going down the domestic beer aisle. There wasn’t some magic mountain of untouched Bud Lights.

• True 3

19 hours ago, sblfilms said:

One of the things I’ve noticed when more liberal contingents say they are boycotting a business over political/social actions, conservatives tend to buttress those firms in response.

This doesn’t seem to happen when the roles are reversed. Firms are left with the most logical choice of capitulation to the boycotters.

This is far from a boycott so it's not comparable. Far right people were going in and destroying merchandise and harassing employees. That is terrorism not a boycott.

• Halal 4

@sblfilms I generally agree with you that much of this comes down to business decisions but not all brands have backed down. Some have even doubled down, here is the latest from Northern Face. When brands do push back and boycotts go nowhere, the groups tend to just move on and go after someone else.

348613049_257239723630154_68704951866472
WWW.INSTAGRAM.COM

84K likes, 16K comments - Pattie Gonia (@pattiegonia) on Instagram: "🌈 Nature lets you be who you are, so, for the second year in a row @thenorthface is hosting Su..."

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This. This is what The Right means when they talk about "cancel culture running amok".

Or let’s, mr. Jordan I’ve never seen the inside of a weight room in my life Petterson saying some thicc girl wasn’t sexy and if you disagree  you’re woke. That’s their side, making declarative statements and being wrong 

meanwhile I’m all, dude I’d nut inside her you completely forgettable white fuck.

ain’t nobody masturbating to you, except your closeted daddy issue fanboys.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've only ever been to an American Target once in my life...and it's exactly like Canadian Walmart. So, knowing that...I fear ever having to go into an American Walmart. 

There is a Walmart less than 5 minutes from my house and it seems to attract the worst of the worst. It’s not even in a bad area.  The police have their own special parking spots right along the building now.

2 hours ago, TUFKAK said:

Sometimes I need light bulbs, socks, a wok and beer at one time.

We have Meijer, which actually has a large grocery section. Target, here, has a very small grocery selection. Target reminds me of a Kmart that someone kept kinda clean. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I've only ever been to an American Target once in my life...and it's exactly like Canadian Walmart. So, knowing that...I fear ever having to go into an American Walmart. 

I mean its going to vary but for the most part if theres a walmart and a target in a city/town, go to the target, lol.

7 minutes ago, Ominous said:

We have Meijer, which actually has a large grocery section. Target, here, has a very small grocery selection. Target reminds me of a Kmart that someone kept kinda clean. 

I live in the first world in America 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chakoo said:

@sblfilms I generally agree with you that much of this comes down to business decisions but not all brands have backed down. Some have even doubled down, here is the latest from Northern Face. When brands do push back and boycotts go nowhere, the groups tend to just move on and go after someone else.

I do think defiance is a good strategy in many scenarios! It’s like public figures who get accused of wrong doing…never apologize and usually the controversy goes away. Even if you did do something wrong, engaging with the people who called you out for it legitimizes your error in the minds of many others who would have never thought twice about it.

One of the reasons that pressure campaigns do work so well against businesses is the worry over the next quarterly results. If the boycotters can do enough that it makes the executives think there is a real EPS hit coming over it, they will capitulate. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I do think defiance is a good strategy in many scenarios! It’s like public figures who get accused of wrong doing…never apologize and usually the controversy goes away. Even if you did do something wrong, engaging with the people who called you out for it legitimizes your error in the minds of many others who would have never thought twice about it.

One of the reasons that pressure campaigns do work so well against businesses is the worry over the next quarterly results. If the boycotters can do enough that it makes the executives think there is a real EPS hit coming over it, they will capitulate. 

Yes that makes sense but not in this context unless you are saying companies supporting pride is doing the wrong thing. This is about companies doing things to be inclusive which is getting pushback from specific groups. (Edit: to clarify i'm referring to your chosen example in the first paragraph).

As for your point on looking at things through market lens. There are brands where it has zero effect and some where it mostly has a short term effect because it gains traction. The brands where it tends to have less of an effect is when show that they don't care about the boycotts or use it to boost existing marketing campaigns.

5 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yes that makes sense but not in this context unless you are saying companies supporting pride is doing the wrong thing. This is about companies doing things to be inclusive which is getting pushback from specific groups.

“even if” in this context means whether you are or aren’t. Like if a person calls you a racist, regardless of whether you are or aren’t, apologizing is an admission of doing whatever the thing was you have been accused of. 

And I don’t think these businesses are trying to be inclusive, they are trying to glom on to the winds of societal change. They want to avoid being excluded :p  

9 minutes ago, chakoo said:

As for your point on looking at things through market lens. There are brands where it has zero effect and some where it mostly has a short term effect because it gains traction. The brands where it tends to have less of an effect is when show that they don't care about the boycotts or use it to boost existing marketing campaigns.

I think it mostly comes down to who your brand relies on for sales. Just thinking of places, but if Hobby Lobby were to make a big marketing push with drag queens, the cost to their brand because of who actually shops there is probably quite large. If you are a brand that appeals to younger people in general, the potential impact of such marketing even with boycotters shouting is probably small.

I have no doubt these major firms have a lot of good data about exactly who it is that butters their bread. I’m just a little guy, and I have great demo data for each of our locations and craft the film selections around the audiences for each.

1 hour ago, DarkStar189 said:

You know if it wasn’t for the internet I wouldn’t even know there was a Bud Light or Target controversy.  I was at Target recently and it was crowded as hell, filled with people of all color. Last night the beer store near me looked how it always did going down the domestic beer aisle. There wasn’t some magic mountain of untouched Bud Lights.

It's definitely real. My buddy works at the Budweiser plant in Jacksonville and their summer overtime hours are being cut because orders for Bud light are really low. Chuds have effectively canceled Bud Light... for now. They still drink all of the other beverages that the parent company owns though. So goofy.

• Shocked 1

The only time I shop at Target is in emergencies (I need _____ NOW) and the only reason I choose it over Walmart is because it's twice as close.  

I will go to Walmart occasionally for cereal as their resealable Malt-o-Meal selection is impeccable (cheapest source of homemade rice crispy treats), but for the majority of grocery purchases Aldi and farmer's markets are superior.

PBR is definitely a hipster beer around me, as is Rolling Rock and Utica Club.  Pretty sure Yueungling and Narragansett are viewed as a step up.  

Everyone should be able to pinpoint where I live pretty accurately from all that 😂