Ali Ahmed Aslam -- inventor of chicken tikka masala -- has prepared his final curry at age 77

RIP in Peace, sir, for I have enjoyed your creation (and its variants) many, many times!

4256.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The chef said he devised the recipe for ‘Britain’s favourite curry’ after a customer complained that his meal was too dry

A chef who is believed to have invented the chicken tikka masala, regarded as Britain’s favourite curry, has died aged 77.

Ali Ahmed Aslam’s death on Monday was announced by his Shish Mahal restaurant in Glasgow, which closed for 48 hours as a mark of respect. The eatery announced: “Hey, Shish Snobs … Mr Ali passed away this morning … We are all absolutely devastated and heartbroken.”

His funeral was held at Glasgow Central Mosque on Tuesday. Members of the public were invited to attend.

In an interview with the AFP news agency, Aslam explained that he created the chicken tikka masala in the 1970s when a customer asked if there was a way of making his chicken tikka less dry. His solution was to add a creamy tomato sauce.

He said: “Chicken tikka masala was invented in this restaurant. We used to make chicken tikka, and one day a customer said, ‘I’d take some sauce with that, this is a bit dry.’

“We thought we’d better cook the chicken with some sauce. So from here we cooked chicken tikka with the sauce that contains yoghurt, cream, spices. It’s a dish prepared according to our customer’s taste. Usually they don’t take hot curry – that’s why we cook it with yoghurt and cream.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 2

3 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

It's kind of crazy how many foods you'd think are like staples or have some long tradition are actually relatively new.

RIP to a real one. Ironically, my wife and I went out for Indian food last night and she had masala. I had saag though.

That's what did it. =\

• Haha 2
  • True 1

I find it hard not to get vindaloo, although it's always a crapshoot on whether they'll actually give it to me spicy. @Commissar SFLUFAN I had that place we went to in Clarendon well trained by the time I left. I could literally just stick my head in and give a wave and come back 20 minutes later and they'd have a super hot vindaloo ready for me. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I find it hard not to get vindaloo, although it's always a crapshoot on whether they'll actually give it to me spicy. @Commissar SFLUFAN I had that place we went to in Clarendon well trained by the time I left. I could literally just stick my head in and give a wave and come back 20 minutes later and they'd have a super hot vindaloo ready for me. :lol:

Vindaloo is my favorite.

50 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Vindaloo is my favorite.

Have you had phall? Was trying to order it at a Brick Lane restaurant and the waiter kept trying to nudge me toward something else. Once I realized what was going on I got him to just put the order in by promising that I wouldn't complain about the food being too spicy.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Have you had phall? Was trying to order it at a Brick Lane restaurant and the waiter kept trying to nudge me toward something else. Once I realized what was going on I got him to just put the order in by promising that I wouldn't complain about the food being too spicy.

A friend and I went to a local Indian restaurant to try phall and, I kid you not, it wasn't the waiter who tried to stop us but rather the MANAGER who came out of the back to inform us "this is the hottest thing on the menu, are you sure?!?" 😂

He later came out midway through our meal to ask if we needed more of anything (ie- drinks, rice, naan).  We replied "more of everything!"

To pre-emptively answer the question, yes we were both two of the few Caucasians present in the restaurant.

And because I love the place......

https://www.karavalli.com/

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 7:05 PM, TyphoidHater said:

A friend and I went to a local Indian restaurant to try phall and, I kid you not, it wasn't the waiter who tried to stop us but rather the MANAGER who came out of the back to inform us "this is the hottest thing on the menu, are you sure?!?" 😂

He later came out midway through our meal to ask if we needed more of anything (ie- drinks, rice, naan).  We replied "more of everything!"

To pre-emptively answer the question, yes we were both two of the few Caucasians present in the restaurant.

And because I love the place......

https://www.karavalli.com/

Every time I was in Thailand when I ordered stuff locals would freak out that it would be too spicy for me and then when I ate it just fine they were impressed (one girl I think got the hots for me lol).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, DPCyric said:

Every time I was in Thailand when I ordered stuff locals would freak out that it would be too spicy for me and then when I ate it just fine they were impressed (one girl I think got the hots for me lol).

I asked for the the spice level to be at what the waiter would have in a Thai restaurant once and got that same "are you sure?" look.

I will admit that the resulting spice level was a little more than what I anticipated but I made damn sure to clean my plate!

1 hour ago, TyphoidHater said:

I asked for the the spice level to be at what the waiter would have in a Thai restaurant once and got that same "are you sure?" look.

I will admit that the resulting spice level was a little more than what I anticipated but I made damn sure to clean my plate!

I can finish my plate, the problem is a few hours later I'm spewing fire out the other end into the toilet.

• Haha 1