I like TikTok and all but this is a worrying trend

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

TiKTok has adult users?

In my age group I don't know anyone personally who uses the app, but my mom and other various older relatives seem to use it often. It has reached that facebook stage where all the old people join in around these parts.

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

TiKTok has adult users?

I thought it was the social media platform for teen girls.

It's hugely dominant for <30, especially <25. Gen Z is effectively getting most of their media and internet content from TikTok, including news and search results. It's also for a good reason (in terms of effectiveness): it's easier to get meanginful search results on TikTok than Google, now. Google is so full of meaningless bot blogs that it's very hard to find good resources without adding "reddit" to the end of searches.

• True 1

30 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's hugely dominant for <30, especially <25. Gen Z is effectively getting most of their media and internet content from TikTok, including news and search results. It's also for a good reason (in terms of effectiveness): it's easier to get meanginful search results on TikTok than Google, now. Google is so full of meaningless bot blogs that it's very hard to find good resources without adding "reddit" to the end of searches.

As the father of 2 Gen-Z boys -- I can confirm that a good chunk of them don't consume any news.

However, I would argue that Youtube is the dominant social media platform at almost any age (with Facebook coming second).

But you're right, most kids <25 are active on TikTok   Almost everyone over 35 isn't.

19 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Boomer

:shrug:

It would probably be worse, at my age, being on a social media platform dominated by teen girls.

49 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

As the father of 2 Gen-Z boys -- I can confirm that a good chunk of them don't consume any news.

However, I would argue that Youtube is the dominant social media platform at almost any age (with Facebook coming second).

But you're right, most kids <25 are active on TikTok   Almost everyone over 35 isn't.

:shrug:

It would probably be worse, at my age, being on a social media platform dominated by teen girls.

50% of their US users are over 30 but go off

• True 1

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh you think he was looking at facts?!

thumb.png
FIGSHARE.COM

The report provides a snapshot of the social media usage trends amongst online Canadian adults based on an online survey of 1500 participants.  Canada continues to be one of the most connected countries in the world. An overwhelming majority of online Canadian adults (94%) have an account on at least one social media platform. However, the 2022 survey results show that the COVID-19 pandemic has ushered in some changes in how and where...

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
thumb.png
FIGSHARE.COM

The report provides a snapshot of the social media usage trends amongst online Canadian adults based on an online survey of 1500 participants.  Canada continues to be one of the most connected countries in the world. An overwhelming majority of online Canadian adults (94%) have an account...

I ain’t clicking on your maple syrup link. What’s your point?

My first instinct was that TikTok is worse than previous platforms, but after thinking about it more, it's not all so different from where we are now. As a news source, TikTok is centrally controlled, insular, and opaque to the rest of the web. That's not so different from Facebook or Instagram. YouTube and Twitter are central depositories, but far less opaque, in that you can get there from the web on any device, and far less insular, in that they will regularly send you outside themselves.

As to how that changes how people get news or the quality of that news, I think it's hard to say. I think there are reasons to be worried, but it's not like the status quo of Facebook is hard to beat. Especially as other social networks continue to try and become TikTok, it makes TikTok itself less of a unique threat, and more a model that we should try to understand better.

TikTok, especially compared to Twitter or Facebook, has its algorithm adapt to your views and follows at lightning speed. I don't blame young people for using it the way they do, and if there's a topic you're interested in that has a decent number of creators that post on the app, it's super useful to find content very quickly. I've found a number of miniature painters, cooking / bartending content, musicians / bands, etc., that I never would have found on google or have had YouTube or twitter put in front of me.

This can obviously be problematic depending on how you use the app and how savvy at filtering you are, but I refuse to accept that anyone shitting on it or saying that it's just for kids / teenage girls has bothered engaging with it at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

I love Tik Tok, but it's also the worst thing ever.

I really think it's like the crack cocaine of entertainment. Just nonsense boiled down into it's purest form and then algorithmically manipulated for maximum attention holding.

I've heard that while most social media platforms like to exaggerate their popularity and users to make them look better, that Tik Tok is actually more popular than they let on and that they lie in the other way to try and avoid negative attention.

All China has to do is start putting their fingers on the scale and they can push whatever political messages they want up and whatever one's they want down. It probably is a problem that will have to dealt with eventually.

Asking people 30+ about social media can be really enlightening about their personality. The two common answers are:

• I have no reason to use the ___ app because no one else I know uses it
  • The ___ app is stupid, I don't get it

The latter tends to point out people that, frankly, are afraid of change and are judgmental of new things. For instance, I use twitter, snapchat, and TikTok (but have abandoned Facebook and Instagram), but I don't use BeReal (the newest big platform). But I also think it's cool that kids are using new platforms to get away from their parents, especially ones like BeReal where it's much more limited in what you share and see. I might not use it, but I also don't judge others for using it.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Asking people 30+ about social media can be really enlightening about their personality. The two common answers are:

• I have no reason to use the ___ app because no one else I know uses it
  • The ___ app is stupid, I don't get it

The latter tends to point out people that, frankly, are afraid of change and are judgmental of new things. For instance, I use twitter, snapchat, and TikTok (but have abandoned Facebook and Instagram), but I don't use BeReal (the newest big platform). But I also think it's cool that kids are using new platforms to get away from their parents, especially ones like BeReal where it's much more limited in what you share and see. I might not use it, but I also don't judge others for using it.

I think we'd need some data on this. Because for me I fall in the latter bullet point but I love new shit. I'm always looking to try new things. Especially in the tech space. But TikTok seems built for people who like fake news and have short attention spans. Therefore it sucks. That's the only reasoning I'm putting into not liking it.

Just now, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I've never used anything but FB. I have Twitter, but it's mostly for following a few authors and politicians. I've never Tweeted. I just downloaded Instagram again, but literally only for these food videos that give me ideas on what to try cooking next.

You should try this app called 'Tasty' if you haven't. It's full of video recipes with a clean interface. I like it a lot.